“Teeming with Wildlife”

Mamiraua Sustainable Development Reserve
Reviewed 29 January 2013

My husband and I were looking for an Amazon experience that was really close to nature and not just a jungle trek near Manaus. Well, we certainly found it in Mamiraua! The waters were swarming with enormous fish and caymans, and the trees were covered with birds and monkeys. We were even lucky enough to see the Uakari (red-faced) monkey (twice) and the pink dolphins (twice!). The food was fantastic and the staff were of a very high calibre. They were extremely polite and accommodating. The staff were more than willing to tailor each activity to make sure it was suited to our interests and enjoyment. The accomodation was quite comfortable and spacious as well. If you want to see the depths of the Amazon with relative comfort, Mamiraua is the place for you.

7  Thank sarah0527

Reviewed 2 December 2012

We visited Mamiraua reserve in October 2010. We enjoyed everything about the place.
The amount of wildlife is just overwhelming, you'll feel as if you were in Indiana Jones movies. Thousands of alligators crammed into a lagoon, birds galore, huge 4 foot fish - pirarucu - leaping out of the water all the time, pink dolphins, you name it. Words do no justice to the place. You have to see it for yourself.

The infrastructure of the lodge is perfectly adequate to the objective of the reserve. You won't miss anything. Being away from technology is a plus in this kind of place.

The guides are excellent, very friendly, sharp eyed and knowledgeable. A biologist will accompany most outings, and English is spoken.

Our only challenge was not even the mosquitoes - it was a tiny, invisible to the naked eye TICK that crawls through your socks and sucks your blood. Even if you're wearing boots and socks, if you fail to spray your feet with bug repellent, they will suck the blood out of you. We ended up with very swollen itchy, aching feet for a couple of days.

As the place can only house up to 20 people and it's rarely full, you'll have almost personalized service.

If you really want to know what the Amazon is about, this is the place to go, not one of those fancy, pricey resorts.

3  Thank ValeriaBarreira
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I visited Mamiraua in August 2005. I enjoyed every thing about my 5 days there.
The daily educational trips, wildlife, food, weather, lodging, guides and our person in charge "Paulo." If I had known Mamiraua Reserve was going to be so much fun I would have made arrangements to stay longer. The one thing I wish the organization would change is when departing Mamiraua for Tefe, transport the people in a faster boat so they would have time to explore the town of Tefe before flying back to Manus.

1  Thank Robert G
Reviewed 4 December 2010

My objective was to see the Amazon in as close to natural state as possible. This meant not staying anywhere near Manaus. Although I researched some places that were relatively far from Manaus - 4 to 6 hours by boat - and thought some sounded pretty good, when I learned of Mamiraua it seemed to be the jackpot. I was particularly impressed that a newspaper writer who stayed in 5 or 6 different Amazon lodges rated Mamiraua hands down the best. Since I myself didn't have the funds to duplicate his comparison shopping, I just chose Mamiraua. I stayed for 4 nights and totally loved it. It must be very close to purely natural, the impact of humans almost nothing. The "caboclos" (river people, not Indians but they have a lot of Indian blood) live in small villages and descend from generations of people who lived off the river. Even if they now have satellite dishes in their backyards, they still are very fundamentally living with nature. They know everything about the environment and could easily survive in it if you took the satellite dishes away, the motorized boats, and whatever other modern items they have gradually acquired. As for the pure nature you will find here, one caveat. This is not East Africa. You (and your camera) are not going to see herds of anything. The wildlife is there, but illusive. You will see the forest. If you go at the time of year that I did, you will boat through it since I was there in rainy season when the water was something like 10 meters (30 feet) high IN THE FOREST. Personally, I'm glad I went at that time. It's the ultimate experience of rain forest. I've been in rain forest in several parts of Central and South America before, but this occurs in the Amazon only. It feels like being on another planet. What it does share in common with those other rain forest areas is that wildlife is illusive in all of them. Understand that, so that you will not be disappointed. For example, I didn't see the uakari. My local guide (caboclo) and my naturalist guide both said, it's unusual to see the uakari. If you do, take it as a fabulous bonus, but don't mourn if you aren't so lucky because even those who live there seldom see it. This is truly the Amazon, and if that's what you want, you will be rewarded.

8  Thank TravelinBrat
See more reviews
Reviewed 9 March 2010

Mamiraua Reserve's Floating Lodge is a unique type of lodging and provides an opportunity experience fascinating Amazonian wildlife including the rare red-faced uakari monkeys, found only there, and pink Boto dolphins. The canoe trips were very enjoyable. The nature hikes were challenging due to heat and mosquitoes, those these vary with the time you choose to go. The food was okay, not great, and the lodging comfortable except for the heat and humidity. We wished we had stayed four days rather than seven. The nature guides were eager to please, but were both relatively new to the area and their English was limited. Our binoculars gave out just before the trip and we had been told we could rent some at Mamiraua, but not even the guides had binoculars. We had an informative presentation about the pink dolphins but I wish we had also learned in depth about the four types of monkeys, Amazonian insects, snakes, and the ubiquitous caimanes. The visits to the villages were quite interesting. The Reserve is providing great benefit to the local community and the money goes to an excellent cause.

5  Thank judythr