Review Highlights
Mamiraùa Fare-well

5 out of 5 stars - or, after seeing last night's unforgettable canopy, we should say Many out of... read more

Reviewed 23 October 2014
T S P
via mobile
Adventures of a lifetime!

Mamiraua is truly one of the most stunning places I've ever visited. The wildlife is thriving and... read more

Reviewed 2 September 2014
Claire N
London, United Kingdom

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around State of Amazonas
from US$180.00
More Info
from US$120.00
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed 4 December 2010

My objective was to see the Amazon in as close to natural state as possible. This meant not staying anywhere near Manaus. Although I researched some places that were relatively far from Manaus - 4 to 6 hours by boat - and thought some sounded pretty good, when I learned of Mamiraua it seemed to be the jackpot. I was particularly impressed that a newspaper writer who stayed in 5 or 6 different Amazon lodges rated Mamiraua hands down the best. Since I myself didn't have the funds to duplicate his comparison shopping, I just chose Mamiraua. I stayed for 4 nights and totally loved it. It must be very close to purely natural, the impact of humans almost nothing. The "caboclos" (river people, not Indians but they have a lot of Indian blood) live in small villages and descend from generations of people who lived off the river. Even if they now have satellite dishes in their backyards, they still are very fundamentally living with nature. They know everything about the environment and could easily survive in it if you took the satellite dishes away, the motorized boats, and whatever other modern items they have gradually acquired. As for the pure nature you will find here, one caveat. This is not East Africa. You (and your camera) are not going to see herds of anything. The wildlife is there, but illusive. You will see the forest. If you go at the time of year that I did, you will boat through it since I was there in rainy season when the water was something like 10 meters (30 feet) high IN THE FOREST. Personally, I'm glad I went at that time. It's the ultimate experience of rain forest. I've been in rain forest in several parts of Central and South America before, but this occurs in the Amazon only. It feels like being on another planet. What it does share in common with those other rain forest areas is that wildlife is illusive in all of them. Understand that, so that you will not be disappointed. For example, I didn't see the uakari. My local guide (caboclo) and my naturalist guide both said, it's unusual to see the uakari. If you do, take it as a fabulous bonus, but don't mourn if you aren't so lucky because even those who live there seldom see it. This is truly the Amazon, and if that's what you want, you will be rewarded.

8  Thank TravelinBrat
Reviewed 9 March 2010

Mamiraua Reserve's Floating Lodge is a unique type of lodging and provides an opportunity experience fascinating Amazonian wildlife including the rare red-faced uakari monkeys, found only there, and pink Boto dolphins. The canoe trips were very enjoyable. The nature hikes were challenging due to heat and mosquitoes, those these vary with the time you choose to go. The food was okay, not great, and the lodging comfortable except for the heat and humidity. We wished we had stayed four days rather than seven. The nature guides were eager to please, but were both relatively new to the area and their English was limited. Our binoculars gave out just before the trip and we had been told we could rent some at Mamiraua, but not even the guides had binoculars. We had an informative presentation about the pink dolphins but I wish we had also learned in depth about the four types of monkeys, Amazonian insects, snakes, and the ubiquitous caimanes. The visits to the villages were quite interesting. The Reserve is providing great benefit to the local community and the money goes to an excellent cause.

5  Thank judythr
Reviewed 28 January 2008

Amazing and beautiful place. I went with 2 of my best friends and there was one other tourist there, from Germany. So 4 of us had the place to ourselves.
I chose this place because of its remoteness and limited number of guests (max is about 20) which was very wise I think! Lots of wildlife, amazing scenery, knowledgeable guides ...couldn't ask for anything more! Actually they went above and beyond and made a wonderful cake for my friend's birthday!
Every hike was wonderful and the river trips were stunning as well. We were there early in the wet season, and I'm certainly going back in the midst of the wet seaon to experience the difference..canoeing in the treetops of the flooded forest! But walking thorugh the forest was amazing as well. The guides were full of surprises and always had something to astound us with.
Rooms were basic but clean, mosquito netting over the beds, hammocks out on the lanai. Even a bar in the dining room, so we had drinks on occassion! I recommend staying as long as you can. I dreamt about visitng the Amazon my whole life, and was this ever the perfect place to have the full Amazon experience. And they do excellent work too, sustainable tourism, important research, etc. We met some of the scientists there (one working on his advanced degree in jaguar studies) and were very impressed by them.
Activities were all excellent, well thought out and executed. We had plenty of adventures as well as down time to relax in the afternoons and for me to catch up oon writing in my journal, etc.

3  Thank Fisher7
Reviewed 27 October 2007

Visited Mamiraua when it just started (1998) and when it was getting well known (2002).

Visited in October 2007 and am convinced this is one of the best places to go for wildlife, learning about conservation and community participation.

Plus the lodge has added a small netted pool, a better central structure and a overnight wildlife watching hut. Rooms continue comfortable and there is nothing like watching nature go by from your comfortable hammock on your private varanda.

With very low water, the giant pirarucu were bobbing up everywhere, lots of ornamental fish as well. Mamiraua lake was buzzing with black caiman and waterbirds. Saw parrots, macaws, hawks, hoatzins and of course monkeys.

Great food and good company !

2  Thank Vanezza
Reviewed 17 October 2007

During our roundtheworld trip we stayed at the Mamiraua Resort and it
was just fantastic and overwhelming. The wooden huts were quite luxurious for a resort in the middle of nothing! The guides are all local people from tribes who are participating in the project and of course the revenues. That means they were all very familiar with the flora and fauna in the area! And they were all very friendly. The meals were all made of local fruits (some of them I did not see ever!), fish or vegetables! GREAT!!! Take your time and book a slow boat from Manaus or Leticia, Colubia. And book the resort well in advance.... It will be one of your most remarkable trips in your life!

4  Thank SeaShepherd