See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

Went Dec 2014 but felt compelled to post arising from declining service standards from other high end hot spring hotels. Our personal lady butler knowing we like roasted brown ojicha but not sold in gift shop bought two packets for us at own expense with a letter as she was not on duty on day of check out. Beautiful scenery of the lake. Also must try the fresh unagi eel rice for lunch at own expense. Raining so we missed the complimentary cruise outside hotel. We gave good reviews in the feedback form to thank our personal butler. Food wise catered to our needs but disappointed they don't serve unagi which is a specialty of this town. Generally not memorable. Room decor can be improved though. Hot spring experience in room is decent. Will return cos of the warm hospitality by hotel staff. Thumbs up.

Stayed: December 2015, traveled as a couple
九重, フロント at Hotel Kokonoe, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2016

Thank you for coming our hotel and contributed here.
Also thank you for your compliments for our staff.
But when you came here. We didn't enough information about a few things.
We apologize to you about that.
We should think about our siervice to do good for guest with your comment.
When you come Japan,please come here.We are waiting.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

The best and probably the most expensive ryokan in Kanzanji. We stayed on the 10th floor this time. The suites. We are vegetarians and they had no problem organizing a fantastic kaiseki meal.
Their baths are beautiful inside and outside. The 10th floor also have private baths of your own. The rooms have a breathtaking view over the lake Hamanako and the small islands. They also have a wonderful facial massage that cost extra but is worth visiting. This ryokan is expensive. Starts with approx. 10500 jpy with breakfast per person for 1 night. With breakfast and dinner starts with apprx. 20000 jpy per person per night. But the gorgeous suites start at apprx. 40500 jpy per person per night. I can only say it was worth every yen I spent.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ahfeurst
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I took my parents for vacation.
It was forth time to come here for me.
In previous times, I was satisfied with their high quality of services, and fine Japanese quisines.

But this time the staying in the inn was so disappointed one.
Food quality was so bad, they didn't any specialities in the place.
We expected they provide local fine sea foods, but no one was served.
They explained some sea foods were carried from Hokkaido or other places.
In restaurant,MIT was cold, even I requested they didn't adjust air conditioner.

Their Yukata, Japanese night wear,has short sleeves. I requested long one but they didn't change it. I welt very cold, so I had to wear long sleeves shirts under yukata.
And Thier futon mat was short, I feel cold and couldn't sleep well.
If your hight is more than 175 cm, I recommend to bring your blankets!

I can say it was last time for me to stay in the very expensive inn.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Inspiration809569
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We spent an April weekend in the surprising city of Hamamatsu and stayed at the very Japanese Hotel Kokonoe. Although little English is spoken here, the service is charming and friendly. We enjoyed the Onzen - hot spring baths - and had a wonderful Keiseki, multi course dinner served in a small private dining room. Views of the lake are splendid. We enjoyed the Flower Park and had a Sunday lunch of the local speciality baked eel which was quite delicious. Hamamatsu is easily reached from Tokyo or Kyoto on the Shinkansen (bullet train) and certainly worth a visit.

Room Tip: Rooms with Lake views great.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pat M
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We had the great fortune of spending one evening at the Hotel Kokonoe, where we were treated as royalty. Our rooms featured traditional tatami mats and futon sleeping. But who wanted to sleep with all the things to do. Walk out on the lake of the sheltered dock and take a cruise. Or stay inside and enjoy the baths. But do so only after your assigned house mother (hostess?) dresses you in traditional robes and shoes. Follow her instructions and rules for the experience of a lifetime. visit the baths and go naked from hot baths, to salt baths to cooler baths. The awkwardness of being naked wore off quickly because everyone else was in the same lack of dress. Then off to dinner for another experience. When you return, your room will have been prepared for your sleep. In the morning, the main lobby sparkles in the sun while breakfast is prepared to your requests. Splurge, live and enjoy. Don't forget the massage spa too.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple