“BUGGY!!!”
Review of Battenkill River

Ranked #4 of 12 things to do in Arlington
Reviewed 4 January 2017

I walked along this river in late September, the weather was lovely, the path was mowed, but I've never seen so many mosquitoes & other flying, annoying bugs. And I'm no bug-phobe -- usually pretty tolerant. I enjoyed the view but this kept it from being a delight.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"fished"
"home"

Reviewed 1 August 2016

Famous as one of the best flyfishing rivers in New England, the Battenkill also has many wonderful swimming holes (including one just under the covered bridge in West Arlington) and many spots for putting in a kayak or tube. Highly recommended on a hot summer day!

Reviewed 26 July 2016

As a retired Maine and Adirondack Guide, I can't say enough about the quality of this outfitter. They offer complete packages including put in and pick up and also offer a shuttle service for those with their own canoes or kayaks. The staff are very professional and are great about sharing their local knowledge. They also have a nice shop with quality canoes, kayaks, and gear.

Reviewed 19 July 2016

We accessed the Battenkill from a camping area in Arlington called "Camping on the Battenkill." Because of its perfect combination of beauty, cleanliness, and handy local businesses for supplies, this campground and a 5 mile section of the river has accommodated our large group for over 20 years.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 July 2016 via mobile

We went on a 12 mile river trip using our own kayaks. Our entire family including our 9 year old loved this trip. It was better than any amusement park.

We arranged at trip through Josh at Vermont River Rafters. He is so knowledgeable and loves this river. He is a good river steward and I was happy we selected him. It was a great trip- so beautiful. And I did squeal with delight as we paddled under a covered bridge It was a bucket list moment.

Some notes:

You will bounce off rocks- especially as the river level gets lower. As a lake kayaker I don't think I have ever hit a rock. It is harmless but I had to bet used to it.

Get a good waterproof phone case. You will want to take so many pictures!

Wear good water shoes. You will need them.