“Great location, love the view, clean, all amenities you want from a hotel”

Regency Grand Suites
Ranked #15 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed March 21, 2016

The Regency is an affordable hotel that towers up high above the Manila skyline overlooking Manila Bay. Robinson's Place is a very nice mall that is one block away. There is a BDO bank across the street. The cafe serves tasty food at an affordable price. The staff is very customer friendly. I recommend this hotel. I only wish the bed was more comfortable.

Room Tip: Book a room on an upper floor facing the Manila Bay for a spectacular view.
  • Stayed: March 2016, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 18, 2016

Stayed here for a week in March. The condo is a couple of minutes from Robinson’s Place Mall, which has a huge selection of shops, a supermarket, a department store, all the food choices you could ever need and some local stuff you wouldn’t even contemplate eating!

The bed was a very comfortable kingsize; one of the better hotel beds that I’ve slept in whilst in Asia, with four good pillows and a decent quilt. The aircon was reasonable, and I managed to get the room temp down to a comfortable 20c; though it took a while. Room blackout curtains were effective.
There was no noise from outside as I was on a high floor. Unfortunately, there was quite a lot of noise from inside during the day, as there seemed to be extensive renovation taking place both above and below and hammering from 8am onwards. Also, the cleaning staff start banging about and jabbering loudly outside the rooms before 7am, which can be quite disturbing if you’re trying to sleep-in.

The room was equipped with a microwave and a fridge. 2 small bottles of drinking water were provided each day. Some no-brand coffee and tea is provided, and a kettle integrated into a tray assembly. However there was no plug socket anywhere near it, so I had to move the entire assembly to the floor to use it!

The room has a safe box, but it isn't bolted to anything - which is just stupid - After all, someone could just walk off with it without needing to search through your room, already knowing that they have all your valuables nicely pre-packed in just one place!

The room had a large TV screen with a few channels of cable; but only one movie channel and two news channels were in English. The others showed dreadful local programming of nonsense Tagalog soap operas and childish gameshows. There was even a channel which seemed to show nothing but chicken fighting!

The bathroom is very small. The water pressure and temperature in the rain shower were good by Manila standards. My main grievance was the toilet bowl was crammed between the washbasin and the shower door, leaving a space of only 22 inches for a person to sit. For a bigger man such as myself, it was an uncomfortable balancing act just to sit on the toilet seat and do my business. Not good at all !!

On two occasions, the housekeeping staff didn’t come and clean my room even though I hung the ‘make up my room’ sign on my door. I found this odd, as they seemed to enjoy spending the majority of every day hanging around in the hallway outside my room from 6am onwards, talking and laughing loudly, and presumably trying to avoid their supervisor.

I tried the swimming pool on the 9th floor. A nice enough pool, though the water was a little murky and cold. Again, the pool area seems to be a hidey-hole for noisy gatherings of staff doing not very much,very noisily. They have a ridiculous rule where you cannot drink or eat around the pool and any ‘infringement’ will land you a 20000 peso fine. I guess this must be why they have two security guards snoozing there all day.
At the weekend the pool was full of Filipino condo residents, their kids swimming in their grubby undies, and diaper-less babies; which discouraged me from going back.

Getting an elevator here can be an absolute pain. The condo has four small 6-8 person elevators and only two of these serve the highest floors. It can often take 10 minutes for an elevator to arrive, and half the time it will be one that doesn’t serve your floor. So you can sometimes be on the ground floor for up to 30 mins jabbing futilely at the call button and dripping with sweat. Not good.

Please note that the hotel demands 2000 pesos ‘cash deposit’ upon check-in. This is presumably because Filipinos have a tendency to steal anything that isn’t bolted down. As a British business traveler with a reservation made by credit card, I find this ridiculous; especially as they make you wait forever for check-out until housekeeping check the room. You are then refunded 2000 pesos for which you have absolutely no use as you are leaving the Philippines, but could have done with the night before!!

Would I stay here again? l … If I ever needed to be in Malate again, and if a room was available where I could actually sit on the crapper - then I would consider it.; But solely because of the comfortable bed and sleep quality, and being high enough up to avoid the traffic noise.

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled solo
2  Thank WorldBreeze
KarenRGS, General Manager at Regency Grand Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2016

Dear Sir

Thank you choosing to stay with us.

I am very saddened to hear that you did not have a pleasant stay in our hotel, Your whole Regency Grand Suites would like to extend our deepest apology.

I already instructed and routed all your concerns to the department supervisor to check on the issues. We are now bolting the safety box and adding additional sockets.

Reviews and comments from our guest are the most valuable gift we can get as it help us determine our strength and most especially our weakness for further improvement.

Again, we hope to see you again on your next visit.

Cheers

niegasrgs@gmail.com

Reviewed March 8, 2016 via mobile

This is the third time I've stayed here. It is in a great location. Robinson's Mall is located across the street for easy access to food and shopping. The Mall of Asia is a 15-20 minute taxi ride depending on traffic. There are also numerous restaurants and spas within walking distance. The staff have always been courteous and professional. The rooms are clean and whenever we needed extra cleaning or clean towels the staff have always responded in a timely manner. I will definitely stay here again because of the good price and location.

Stayed: February 2016

Dear Sir Thomas

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your continuous patronage.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to Manila

Cheers!

niegasrgs@gmail.com

Reviewed February 15, 2016 via mobile

Visited the place last February with my friend. The place was near to Robinson Manila approximately 2 minutes walk away so you don't have to worry about groceries and shopping. The staffs were all hospitable and friendly. The room was clean, cozy and windows were big..

Stayed: February 2016, traveled with friends

Dear SIr

THank you for choosing to stay with us and for your wonderful review.

Your whole Regency Grand Suites Family is looking forward to be at your service on your next trip to Manila.

Cheers

niegargs@gmail.com

Reviewed February 13, 2016

Good service. clean room, great views, reasonably priced... I had my family so was pleased with the extra space on the 30th floor...on the down side the lifts were busy and a bit slow...while the ground floor reception staff a bid muddled and cluttered with small reception desk servicing such a large building, but were very friendly

Stayed: February 2016, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank simonhT7774NQ