“Vacation 2016”
Review of Malate Pensionne

Malate Pensionne
Ranked #18 of 75 Manila B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 2, 2016 via mobile

"If you're looking for clean, homey & affordable place to stay while in Manila... this is the place for you. Malate Pensionne is really superb when it comes to cleanliness, the place is an old building renovated & enhanced. The wooden floors which for me makes it very warm like your really at home away from home. Staff are extremely helpful & attentive. i love Malate Pensionne!"

Stayed: May 2016, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Malate Pensionne

Reviewed July 26, 2016

I've given this place several chances over the years, but after my most recent stay I'm officially done. It's in a very convenient location and has an interesting history. But the rooms are stuffy and musty, the fumes from the floor polish are nauseating, the internet is weak and does not reach the rooms, the hot water comes out in a trickle, and the customer service is terrible. Given the price and the competition, the overall quality should be higher (e.g., decent internet available in rooms, better hot water, etc.). Also, a tip for anyone requesting airport pick-up: make sure to call and confirm even if you receive a confirmation email. I requested a pick-up and gave complete arrival info, but they failed to send a driver, leaving me to wait 90 minutes in the queue for a taxi. When I reported this to the receptionist at check-in, she first tried to claim that I did not request pick up (a claim easily disproved by my confirmation email) and then simply shrugged. She offered no apology or attempt of any kind to take responsibility for the error. Subsequent encounters with staff exhibited a similar indifference toward customer service. There are better options in Malate at this price point.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled solo
Reviewed May 18, 2016

Located in Malate Zone that surround with night life and many restaurant. Big coffee shop is in front, you can find out something to eat 24 hrs.This zone can be straight to other zone easily, jeepney is recommend. with only 7 peso you can go around.

Staff is nice with warm welcome. As early check in, dorm is not available at that time. then I ask them to change to be private room with shared bathroom. Room is neat with decorate like we stay at friend's house.

Wifi is not provide all area. Need to stay at lobby only.

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank Kita U
Jay G, General Manager at Malate Pensionne, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2016

Hello! Thank you for your review and comments. We truly appreciate to hear what our guests have to say. For your information, we now have secured wifi everywhere. We look forward to having you back whenever you are in the Ermita Malate area. This Friday, May 27 at 3PM, Ermita Malate is having its second annual Flores de Ermita wherein 21 calesas will be parading with models from Manila Hotel to Rizal Stadium to T Kalaw to Bocobo St to Adriatico to Remedios circle where the parade will stop for the public to have photo shoots with the models. Then the parade will proceed to Bocobo St to Robinson Mall where there will be a presentation. Hope to see you.

Reviewed May 13, 2016 via mobile

Stayed here 3 times in one month on our visit to Philippines. Loved the staff, the owner is lovely! The location is very handy, only a small walk to robinson mall and food area Bathrooms are clean, accommodation itself was good, nice big rooms! Affordable and safe !

Stayed: May 2016, traveled as a couple

Hello! Thank you for having made Malate Pensionne your home away from home while visiting the Philippines. We are glad that you enjoyed your travels throughout the Philippines and that you had a nice experience at Malate Pensionne. Come back soon as we have over 7,000 islands to explore and please tell your friends about Malate Pensionne. Have a nice day and thank you for taking the time to write your review at the Trip Advisor.

Reviewed April 21, 2016

If you are looking for a cheap and affordable hotel, Malate Pensionne could be your options. I only paid lesser than I expected, plus their friendly receptionist extended me a discount. Affordable, it's a big check! Their lobby area, not that big, but looks clean and fresh. Plus the fact that a coffee shop is just right next door. When a room attendant assisted me to check my room on the second floor of the hotel, as he opened the door, a kingdom of small moths literally came out from the room. The area on the second floor, even the feel of atmosphere is very creepy! Well because it's an old hotel. It's like you are staying in one of the hotels in Vigan Ilocos Sur. We also checked other room on the third floor. I am telling you, you wouldn't want to stay in the corridor of their third floor, because the smell is very disgusting. I got a nice and clean room on that floor. But the next day I found out that the flash of their toilet bowl is not in a good condition, and there were cockroaches inside my room. Terrible! Very bad stay! to the management of this hotel, PLEASE maintain cleanliness in your hotel. PLEASE! Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank Solo_Traveler1989
Jay G, General Manager at Malate Pensionne, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2016

Thank you for your report. I truly appreciate it. It pains me when a valued guests reports a less than positive experience in our property. I take it as a positive intention from our guests to be more vigilant. I will take this up with our housekeeping supervisor and staff. Thank you for your business. It is truly appreciated and I hope that you will give us another chance to make your next experience a great one. Have a nice day. Jay Gutierrez - general manager.
PS Cockroaches are a constant challenge in tropical climates. We have regular pests control to keep them in check. Even Florida in the USA has cockroaches. I've been there.