“Great and practical choice”
Review of Malate Pensionne

Malate Pensionne
Ranked #31 of 75 Manila B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 2, 2015

Very accessible location. Accommodating and hospitable staff. Prompt response to email inquiry. Homey feel. Adequate amenities come with the room rate.

Stayed there in October 2011 with mother and aunt (family room).
This time with husband (premium room).
Will definitely still have it as preferred choice for place to stay when we go back to Manila.

Room Tip: Both our stays, we got rooms in the second floor.
  • Stayed: November 2015, traveled as a couple
Jay G, General Manager at Malate Pensionne, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2016

Dear guests, thank your for the five star rating and positive comments. We make an effort to diligently deliver a great experience to all our guests all the time. Usually, folks tend to write online only when they are displeased. Yours is very much appreciated. Thank you once again for your continued patronage and business. We look forward to your next visit and stay with us. Have a nice day. Jay Gutierrez - general manager

Reviewed November 23, 2015

My husband and I spent 2 nights here. We had the feeling, it was too expensive for what it offered, but it is the capital city and the location is fantastic. The bed was comfortable, the room clean, the personnel kind. In the room it was really hot and a bit humid. We had only a fan, and the window was always open. There are a lots of mosquitos, especially in the bathroom. In the women bath there were not warm water, not even hand-warm, so I went to the men's. What was worse, is, the place in the toilet was so small, I didn't fit in, so I could not close the door. But we slept well, and, even the rooms around us were full, we didn't hear any noises.

Stayed: November 2015, traveled as a couple

Dear Anna, thank you for your comments. I will look into it and study just how we can improve on that particular toilet. I thought that we had widened all toilet stalls to fit caucasians. That was one of my first issues when I arrived four years ago. We solved the mosquito problem by bringing in lots of citronella plants to ecologically dispel those pests in a natural healthy manner. Based on your description, your room was an economy room and its priced for travellers who only want a good bed to rests on in a private room. Bathrooms are shared. In the future, you may want to ask for a dormitory as it is now airconditioned and with cable TV. Rates are by the bed and you share the room with other travelers. The common bathrooms in that hall are also updated and brand new to your liking. Thank you for your patronage and business and we look forward to your next visit and stay with us. Have a nice day. Jay Gutierrez - general manager

Reviewed November 8, 2015

Old and reliable, this place straddles the Backpacker category and the Hotel segment.
Budget, fan only rooms (en suite) and a few dorm beds are available, as are AC rooms with en suite facilities.
Good security....guard at gate has a gun!
Safe deposit boxes and luggage storage available. Can even leave valuable in safe deposit box while you travel up country, and pick up on your return. Small fee applies, but you know your stuff is safe.
Breakfast of coffee and toast available for 100 P.
Beware of coffee. Instant garbage made with semi hot water from the water cooler / heater - not even boiled.
Now also serves a cooked breakfast with bacon and eggs for a bit more.
Airport pick up at 600P and drop off at 300P is available. Cabs are cheaper, but this service is convenient for late night or early morning.

Room Tip: Worth paying a bit more for AC.
  • Stayed: November 2015, traveled solo
1  Thank sheilds

Dear Shields, thank you for your four star rating and positive reviews. I will do something about that hot water for coffee as I love a good cup of steaming hot coffee myself in the morning. When we can improve a guests experience within sound reason, we do it. Thank you for your patronage and business. It is truly appreciated. Have a nice day. Jay Gutierrez - general manager

Reviewed October 27, 2015

Hotel in good location in Malate - staff at desk very friendly but room very gloomy - small window with little light. I booked and paid for an Executive room - but not sure what was executive about it. No WiFi in rooms only in lobby is a real inconvenience.

• Stayed: October 2015, traveled solo
Reviewed October 19, 2015 via mobile

The hotel was 1600 pisos for a small room with aircon. The aircon unit dripped on the mattress all night and the bed was very uncomfortable. When we told the concierge the next morning she replied with "thank you for letting us know". I would not recommend for the price, but the location was good.

Stayed: October 2015, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TheTravelingDuckie

Dear guests, my sincere apologies for having a terrible experience. whenever I have an unpleasant experience at an establishment, I always ask for the manager to give management an opportunity to be aware and address my concern. If they make me happy, that appeases me. If they do nothing or are indifferent, then they deserve my wrath. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a great experience as many of our guests have had. We make every effort to provide everyone with a positive great experience and I know of no place, even an expensive five star, that has not had a negative comment. Giving management an opportunity to make it right for you is what truly matters. I hope you will give us another opportunity on your next visit to Manila. Ask for me on your next visit. Have a nice day. Jay Gutierrez - general manager.