“A step up from Backpacker, a ste down from Hotel”
Review of Malate Pensionne

Malate Pensionne
Ranked #16 of 74 Manila B&B and Inns
on the road
“A step up from Backpacker, a ste down from Hotel”
Reviewed November 8, 2015

Old and reliable, this place straddles the Backpacker category and the Hotel segment.
Budget, fan only rooms (en suite) and a few dorm beds are available, as are AC rooms with en suite facilities.
Good security....guard at gate has a gun!
Safe deposit boxes and luggage storage available. Can even leave valuable in safe deposit box while you travel up country, and pick up on your return. Small fee applies, but you know your stuff is safe.
Breakfast of coffee and toast available for 100 P.
Beware of coffee. Instant garbage made with semi hot water from the water cooler / heater - not even boiled.
Now also serves a cooked breakfast with bacon and eggs for a bit more.
Airport pick up at 600P and drop off at 300P is available. Cabs are cheaper, but this service is convenient for late night or early morning.

Room Tip: Worth paying a bit more for AC.
  • Stayed November 2015, traveled solo
1 Thank sheilds
Jay G, General Manager at Malate Pensionne, responded to this review, April 25, 2016
Dear Shields, thank you for your four star rating and positive reviews. I will do something about that hot water for coffee as I love a good cup of steaming hot coffee myself in the morning. When we can improve a guests experience within sound reason, we do it. Thank you for your patronage and business. It is truly appreciated. Have a nice day. Jay Gutierrez - general manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 27, 2015

Hotel in good location in Malate - staff at desk very friendly but room very gloomy - small window with little light. I booked and paid for an Executive room - but not sure what was executive about it. No WiFi in rooms only in lobby is a real inconvenience.

• Stayed October 2015, traveled solo
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed October 19, 2015 via mobile

The hotel was 1600 pisos for a small room with aircon. The aircon unit dripped on the mattress all night and the bed was very uncomfortable. When we told the concierge the next morning she replied with "thank you for letting us know". I would not recommend for the price, but the location was good.

Stayed October 2015, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TheTravelingDuckie
Dear guests, my sincere apologies for having a terrible experience. whenever I have an unpleasant experience at an establishment, I always ask for the manager to give management an opportunity to be aware and address my concern. If they make me happy, that appeases me. If they do nothing or are indifferent, then they deserve my wrath. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a great experience as many of our guests have had. We make every effort to provide everyone with a positive great experience and I know of no place, even an expensive five star, that has not had a negative comment. Giving management an opportunity to make it right for you is what truly matters. I hope you will give us another opportunity on your next visit to Manila. Ask for me on your next visit. Have a nice day. Jay Gutierrez - general manager.

Travelers are raving about these Manila hotels

Reviewed August 22, 2015 via mobile

Central location and polite staff but noisy, no hot water and no drinking water in room. Dodgy aircon and run down room. Overpriced and underwhelmed.
Not recommended. Choose somewhere else nearby, there are lots of better places than this.

Stayed August 2015, traveled with friends
4 Thank Gareth B
Dear Gareth, my apologies for having a disappointing experience at our property. Adriatico street and most places in the Ermita Malate tourist area are noisy especially at night. We could have moved you to the rear of the property away from the street had you asked. Also, in the future, give management an opportunity to address your concerns and make it right for you. If management does not or is indifferent to your concerns, then you have every right to vent. We did experience a breakdown in one of our hot water tanks. Breakdowns are a way of life in any building and that is why we have a maintenance staff. Most of the time, issues are fixed quickly. Others take time especially when we have to order replacements. If you give us another opportunity to make your lodging a great experience, you will change your mind. Have a nice day and ask for me should you decide to return and give us a second chance. Jay Gutierrez - general manager
Reviewed August 9, 2015

Budget friendly yet worth every bucks you paid. Staffs are accommodating. Hotel gives a nostalgic aura for me. Breakfast they provide is from the coffee house outside the hotel which is good. Overall, this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Anna L
Malate P, General Manager at Malate Pensionne, responded to this review, August 15, 2015
Hello Anna!
Thank you for taking the time to post your Malate Pensionne experience. We definitely strive everyday to provide a positive experience to all our guests. Every chance I get, I walk around and talk to our guests whom I see and inquire about their experience in and around our property. Reality is most who have a positive experience do not always take the time to write or post their comments on the Trip Advisor. If they did,, Malate Pensionne would rate a four to five star. Thank you once again for your positive review and we look forward to your return. Malate Pensionne, your home away from home. Have a great day always.