“Unreasonable operating system”

Cuisines: Sushi
Neighborhood: Gion
Neighborhood: Gion
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

My husband speaks Japanese so he called the restaurant directly asked if we were staying in the hotel. They insited to call through hotel front desk.

We spent 10 mins waiting for the hotel desk and finally told them to make reserervation for us. We are told that the restaurant is full and accepts no more reservation. We had to go back and forth with hotel desk multiple times to check for another time and date but no luck.

We found out that they only have minimal number of seatings <10 on the table. However, the system is so inefficient and inconvenient.

The restaurant discriminates against foreigner/ visitor and It is not fair.

I hope that my story can provide oppurtunity for the restaurant to reconsider the reservation policy. It def added negative experience in Japan.

Reviewed 31 October 2017

Really really excellent sushi I had here with my wife. We both enjoyed it so much! The rice was warm when it entered your mouth and add that to the fresh sashimi, the feeling was awesome. It is a small place and reservation is highly recommended. Do note there is no english signboard outside the restaurant so we took a while to find it. The chef is friendly but due to his limited ability to communicate in English, we did not speak much.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Alright. Matsumoto is a Edomae (Tokyo style) sushi restaurant that has been graced with 2 Guide Michelin stars, hence the price for lunch and dinner.

I tried the lunch for about 10 000 yen, which is the cheapest one. Not because its cheap, mostly because I tend to have a smaller lunch normally.
The restaurant is located on a narrow street in the Gion area, its not easy to find since there is no big signs or anything that gives you a hint, almost mysteriously hidden.

I got the counter seat right in front of the chef and couldnt be happier. The restaurant is small and intimate with a great respectful aura in it. The chef is very polite and calm and that itself pushes the overall experience up a noth.
To be honest, it is by far the best sushi I have ever enjoyed, hands down.
From the perfectly seasoned rice, the compression of the nigiri to the insanely good quality of the fish and seafood.
I frequently visiting Kyoto and I can promise I will come back for sushi at Matsumoto every time. Next time its dinner time.
Do not miss this opportunity if you have the chance. But remember, booking is made through your japanese hotel, or if you have a japanese friend. Japanese phone booking only.

Enjoy.

Reviewed 19 May 2017 via mobile

Ok the sushi was good. Very good. Pricey - slightly expensive. We started with several pieces of sashimi , followed by 6-8 pieces of sushi. It went by fast, too fast. The chef was very nice, spoke very little. I would have enjoyed a chance to order more. The food didn't seem like enough. I would have also enjoyed something sweet (aside from tamago) at the end. Green tea would also have been nice. Overall a good meal- but it could have been so much better with a couple of small tweaks...

1  Thank ShahramG
Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

Really a masterpiece of a gourmet sushi dinner we had at this restaurant - amazing creations and tastes!