All reviews kujo station an art gallery terrace room minute walk yogurt stylish hotel laundry room semi double room definitely stay at this hotel again lawson convenience store subway stop ramen breakfast was delicious bed was comfortable quiet neighborhood wooden bathtub amazing hotel
Reviewed 16 June 2016

We stayed here for 3 nights in June and were placed in a semi-double room. This is a misnomer for it is in reality a single room with barely enough room for 2 people on a very small bed. The windows are opaque so you cannot see outside. The carpeting is worn, stained, and dirty. The bathroom is barely large enough for one person. Personally, I felt that this was a rip-off by the booking company. It is a difficult walk from the train station to this hotel and one cannot walk it with luggage in 15 minutes. You really have to take a taxi. It is not centrally located nor near restaurants and activities. I would recommend that readers avoid this hotel at all costs.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
6  Thank 230edwardp
Reviewed 15 June 2016

A new concept based on a cultural expo lounge with live music, bar and of course a Hotel. The rooms are quite good (bearing in mind that you are in Japan, please do not confuse with European or US hotels and sizes) quite, clean and well equipped.
The breakfast is as simple as two hand-made on time sandwiches, juice, salad and coffe-tea but better than big buffets that I have found around the world.
If you are looking for a quite suburb close to central station and subway, with something else like live shows, live music and cultural expo, it's your hotel. Highly recommeded

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2016

This was a fine (and very affordable) hotel in which to spend 4 nights. Don't choose it if you're looking to be in the middle of all Kyoto has to offer--public transit or a minimum 30-minute walk is required to get to anything you've probably come to see. It's definitely a locals' hotel--Western/English-speaking tourists needing extensive assistance or hoping to socialize with other travelers might be out of luck.

I appreciated the industrial/Brooklyn-y vibe of the hotel. It's really clean--but then again, it's Japan. The rooms and bathrooms are pretty Spartan, and reminded me of a nice college dorm--but on this trip, I found this charming for some reason. Had I known the single rooms were so small, I might have booked a double (even though I was traveling alone).

I wish the rooms had a view, or that my windows weren't frosted over... started to feel a little claustrophobic after a couple of days.

I went for the breakfast--it's unusual (savory wraps), but everything was super fresh and I found it pretty delicious. There's coffee, juice, yogurt, and a small salad bar, too.

The strange thing is the hotel only opens the dining/bar area during limited hours. This seems like a missed opportunity. The spaces are so nice, but they're basically shut down most of the time (the bar area is open, but drinks aren't served until 8pm). Maybe the hotel isn't big enough to justify it, but I felt myself wishing there was a little more life here, especially in the early evening.

I don't recall the name, but there's an excellent pub/izakaya not far from the hotel (on the main road; right out of the hotel, then left, and it's a 5-minute walk; right side of the road--look for the illustration of the red smiling face). They were super friendly, offered an English menu, and gave me a little "gift" of local tofu to start my meal. Sushi was really good. Kyoto Station has a lot of dining options if you're stumped.

Room tip: Go for the double room at minimum if you're staying for more than a night or 2
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank 247jond
Reviewed 11 June 2016 via mobile

I quite liked the interesting arty angle the hotel had - the design of the rooms was also cool. However, not that friendly and there was an issue with the dry cleaning - the dry cleaner they use couldn't clean a particular item, which was fine but they didn't bother cleaning the other items that we wanted cleaning. They just returned all of them to the hotel. The hotel didn't bother to follow this up with the dry cleaners and they didn't bother telling us our cleaning hadn't been done! Our last day before returning to Tokyo so nothing could be done. The hotel didn't apologise either. No restaurants, cafes or bars in the locality - which would have been nice. On the plus side, there was a bar in the hotel and they had bikes that are available to use (free for 2 hours - can be hired for longer).

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2016

I spent a couple nights at the Hotel Anteroom during peak cherry blossom season. It was literally the only affordable option left in Kyoto at the time, and it turned out to be quite a pleasant stay!

The hotel has a little bit of an arty vibe to it. Staff was friendly and helpful. Check in and check out went smoothly. Had a drink from the bar one night and that was fine as well.

The room I had is typical in size for Japan, as is its modular bathroom. Although a bit dated, I appreciated the room's minimalist decor, functional layout, large window, and cleanliness.

The main drawback to this hotel is location. Although it is a short walk from the Kujo subway station, it's a bit of a trek to the main Kyoto station and even further away from most tourist attractions. Therefore, it's hard to recommend this hotel to tourists when there are better situated options available. If you are in Kyoto for other purposes, though, this hotel may be just right for your needs.

Date of stay: April 2016