Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Waterfront Airport Hotel and Casino(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$103
US$183
US$62
US$52
Agoda.com
Dulcinea Hotel and Suites(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$44
US$41
Agoda.com
Eloisa Royal Suites(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$59
US$46
US$268
US$213
Agoda.com
Goldberry Suites & Hotel(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$51
Agoda.com
Haruhay Dream Resort(Lapu Lapu)(Great Value!)
US$32
  • Pool
3,854 results
All reviewsocean wingcowrie covechi spaadventure zonetides restaurantocean club loungebuko barfish foodmarine sanctuarymini golfchinese restaurantprivate beachtropical fishfish feedingbreakfast buffetwhite sand beachplay area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 8, 2017

One thing that really stands out about this hotel is the service. Everyone greets you with a smile and requests are handled with a sense of urgency and care. From the check-in desk to the restaurants to the room service, I always enjoyed interacting with the staff.

The views are another thing that stand out. We stayed in the ocean wing and the view from the balcony was so nice. Then there's the view from the infinity pool which had me posting quite a bit on Instagram. As you walk around the meticulously manicured grounds you find yourself constantly saying 'wow' (ie. Pebble arrangements).

One thing they can improve upon is perhaps updating the washroom. Don't get me wrong , they're very clean, but they are showing their age. In my washroom it looked like the soap holder was broken and repaired when really it should have been replaced entirely. Another thing was the toilet which had an issue with the tank and never stop filling. So I'd have to jiggle the handle to get it to stop.

Overall I liked it here and would come again.

• Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JIvey82
Shangri-LaResortCebu, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2017

Dear Jlvey82,

Stunning review!

I’m delighted to know you appreciate our panoramic ocean views, lush greenery and most of all, our service. Please be assured that I have noted your comments on our washroom, especially as we plan future refurbishment of our rooms.
The Mactan team and I look forward to welcoming you back here in our tropical pearly gates, so you can rediscover our trademark Shangri-La hospitality once more!

All the best,

Reviewed January 5, 2017 via mobile

Although i have some other issues with this hotel, I will just stick to the "family friendly" issue. So here it goes.....

A few months before booking for the trip, my wife and I got news a that children are not allowed in the club lounge. Since this was a family vacation without our nanny we decided to just get an ordinary room. Upon confirmation of our booking over the phone, the staff who talked to my wife told her that the news she heard is not true, we can bring our kids( age 4 & 7) to the club lounge as long as they are supervised. So we decided to upgrade our room to a club room at the Ocean View Wing.

During our first night, we went to the club lounge and had some drinks...we were surprised that at 6pm we were told that we had to leave or bring the kids to the room since it's their policy that kids are not allowed from 6-8pm(i think that's the "happy hour") We were alao told that if we still wanted to have drinks we can just come back at 8pm.

Okay, we've been to other lounges, Edsa Shangri La to name one and we NEVER got this kind of treatment from them. We even celebrated my daughter's 7th birthday at the Horizon Club lounge. The staff at Edsa Shang even gave Shang Mactan a very good endorsement, they told us that Shang Mactan was a very "family friendly" hotel.

For my unsolicited advise, if you want to get a club room at Shangrila Mactan either bring a nanny with you OR don't bring your small kids along with you. Hope this helps.

Stayed: November 2016, traveled with family
4  Thank John S
Shangri-LaResortCebu, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2017

Dear John S,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I’m quite appalled to hear your comments, especially since we have been awarded recently by TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Hotels as 11th among the “Top 25 Hotel in Asia” and 1st among the “Top 25 Hotel in the Philippines”. Nevertheless, you have raised some valid concerns that I will be looking into with my team, and I deeply apologize if there was any miscommunication from our end.

The Ocean Club Lounge welcomes both kids and adults, but for our guests’ convenience, we have allotted a special time for family cocktails with a spread of kids’ favorite munch, followed by an adults-only cocktail hour.

While I regret that you were disappointed with your stay, I sincerely hope you allow us to make amends should you visit us in the future; please feel free to get in touch with me directly at rene.egle@shangri-la.com.

Reviewed January 5, 2017

We had an ocean view room and we couldn't get enough of it. The food was great– there are quite a few restaurants to choose from. The service we received was exceptional. I would definitely go back if I had a chance.

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuzerSchmoozer

Dear Suzer Schmoozer,

Thank you for the five stars! I’m thrilled to know you had an exceptional holiday with us, and that you have high remarks for our food and service. I look forward to seeing you again here in our little paradise so we can delight you with our five-star tropical charm once more.

With kind regards,

Reviewed January 5, 2017 via mobile

One of my favorite beaches in the world. Beautiful resort perfectly maintained, staff is attentive and friendly. Down side little pricey for this part of the world, and restaurant service in much need of training. Up side never feels crowded, food is awesome and very family friendly. Almost forgot a special venue called Paradise Island is must experience. A private chef, butler and additional staff made the dining experience to never be forgotten.

Stayed: January 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Dean N

Dear Dean N,

It always warms my heart every time guests name our resort as their favorite. :)

The Paradise Island is indeed one of the many wonderful experiences that shouldn’t be missed, and I’m glad you had an excellent time there! I appreciate your suggestion regarding our restaurant service training; I will certainly share this with the team as we continuously work on improving our guest hospitality.

The Mactan team and I wish to welcome you again here in your favorite paradise for more fun activities, tasty cuisines and memorable experiences to rediscover!

All the best,

Reviewed January 5, 2017

Booked 2 rooms for my husband and me and for my parents in July. As there are not enough 5-star beachfront hotels in the area to choose from, we opted for Shangri-La. We had a room facing the beach at the main wing and cannot complain about the quality. The hotel amenities are very good with huge elegant reception hall lobby, nice outdoor pools, clean and well-maintained grounds, a well-equipped and spacious gym/fitness area.

The breakfast buffet is incredible, delicious with plenty to choose from. I liked the variety of fruits and the local dishes. Thumbs up to the staff at the restaurants who were all accommodating, professional and sought to please their clients. Having said that, dining options are quite pricey, nothing extremely special about the food but not too bad either. Shangri-La in Mactan is very exclusive and gated in a Filipino fashion. It is opulent and insulated from the relatively poor and unkempt town it’s in with no bars and reputable restaurants to walk to so there's no real competition when it comes to dining.

Now if you came for a conference or for business with a little bit of pleasure on the side like a wellness experience of some sort, Shangri-La Mactan is probably the best place to be. But if you fly in for a nice tropical beach, you will be terribly disappointed. It has a tiny beach. I had expected a stretch of white sand and seawater typical from 5-star beachfront hotels but theirs was an extremely short walk between the 2 ends of the hotel grounds, designed more for pictorials than for actual live enjoyment such as a relaxing stroll by the beach. The marine sanctuary is right by the beach and not a huge deal. Go snorkel elsewhere to see the real thing.

Other than that, the expenses just keep piling up from day 1. A lot is charged as extra such as snorkelling gears (we brought our own thankfully) and activities are way too expensive. One time, I had to purchase mobile credits from the hotel guest office. They have a fixed service charge even for selling a $2 mobile card which was ridiculous that the personnel transacting with me was apologetic. I decided to buy a lot more mobile credits than necessary to bring down the service charge to an acceptable proportion relative to the purchase.

Having stayed in 5-star beachfront hotels in the Mediterranean and vacation apartments by the beaches in Hawaii within the same price range or even less, they all had really long stretch of white sand and warm waters shared of course by a line of good hotels. As for service, those 5-star staff would hand out free small snacks by the beach daily and social cocktails in the hotel grounds weekly, daily complementary in-room desserts, daily instructor-led water aerobics and other exercises for free, and some with nightly activities like shows and live band.

That’s 5-star service and treatment, not to mention how they have to be cost efficient because they only earn in the summer months. So factoring in the relatively low labor cost in the Philippines and all-year long summer weather, Shangri-La Mactan’s €300 deal room rate should be half-pension and should do away with extra charges.

We had a friend with a one-day pass who came to spend the day with us. I thought the staff who registered her in was being needlessly strict to insist on keeping her passport throughout her stay, probably suspecting that our friend would stay overnight with us. Leaving a passport sounds overkill but thankfully, we talked the staff into keeping our friend’s ID instead. It’s a minor blip but it's really the little things that matter more than the eye-candy extravagance.

This is a mixed review, more bad points than good. But my last word for a discerning traveler is, Shangri-La Mactan does not have a good price-value relationship. Spend your money in a real 5-star service.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled with family
2  Thank angelcalayag

Dear angelcalayag,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

It is disappointing to know that we were not able to meet your expectation during your stay with us. Please be assured that I will raise your concerns with team as we continuously work in enhancing our guest experience in terms of price-value relationship.

If there is anything else you wish to share, please email me directly at rene.egle@shangri-la.com. My team and I hope we will have another opportunity to truly delight you with an excellent stay soon.

Truly yours,