4,035 results
All reviewsocean wingcowrie covechi spaadventure zonetides restaurantocean club loungebuko barmarine sanctuaryfish foodmini golfchinese restaurantprivate beachfish feedingtropical fishbreakfast buffetwhite sand beachplay area
Reviewed 9 April 2016

Overall thought the property was rather plain for what it was. I stayed in the Ocean View wing and the rooms were plain, dated, and barren. In short, I've stayed in Marriott Courtyards in Asia with nicer rooms. My biggest issue with the property, however, was the poor service rendered. A few incidents that occurred during my stay:

CHECK-IN: The hotel's check-in time is 2pm. I got there at 1:30pm. Most nice hotels, if you arrive 30 minutes before official check-in time, will allow you to go to your room early; here, however, the room itself was not ready until 2:45pm, almost an hour past my official check-in time. As an attempt to compensate, they offered me late check-out...which I did not need given my flight time. When I told them this; no other comp services were offered.

COWRIE COVE: We went to the Cowrie Cove restaurant for dinner early (at 6pm). We were told that they were booked full and could not accommodate us (party of 2). We asked when the bulk of their reservations were; they answered 7pm. We then told them that if they can seat us now, we'll eat and get out of there by 6:45pm. They grudgingly seated us and lo and behold, by 7:30pm MOST of the tables were still empty.

BEACH SERVICE: It was nearly impossible to find open daybeds at the beach. On top of that, it was almost as difficult to flag down service staff to order food and drinks on the beach. We ended up having to ask the lifeguard to get someone over - it took 20 minutes for someone to come, then another 30 minutes for us to get what we ordered.

I know it was a holiday weekend so the resort was at max capacity but that's no excuse for poor service. Philip at the front desk was the only bright spot amongst a pack of ill-trained staff.

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms are very dated and plain (as of Mar '16(; I'm not sure if Main Wing is any better.
  • Stayed: April 2016, traveled with friends
Shangri-LaResortCebu, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2016

Dear thoran13,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and of course I regret to read of your disappointment during your stay.

My apologies for the delayed check in which was due to a full house situation on that particular day. As for the unpleasant experience in Cowrie Cove and the beach, I have taken this up with the manager in charge so as to ensure that corrective action is taken. Please be assured that the shortfalls in service you experienced were the exception, not the norm. Should you wish to share more details with me, please email me at rene.egle@shangri-la.com.

Having said that, thank you for your positive remark about Philip, I will be sharing this with him.

We do hope to see you again in Mactan.

With regards,

Reviewed 9 April 2016 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here with my family and my brother's family. They have 3 pools you can choose to hang and swim. The beach has white sands although there's also rocks and weeds. Surprisingly, you dont need to go too far to see colorful fishes in the water swimming with you. Their breakfast buffet is the best. Wish I could try everything in one sitting but that's asking a lot from myself. A great hotel to hang out with your family or for couples. Luxury at it's finest in this buzzling city.

Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family
Shangri-LaResortCebu, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2016

Dear prettylobster,

Thank you for a five-star review!

The seaweed is a seasonal occurrence, and the team does work hard to maintain our sanctuary's pristine condition, so hopefully on your return this will not be a concern- and you can try the rest of the buffet items you missed out on. :)

With best wishes,

Reviewed 8 April 2016

we had a week long vacation at this resort - our first time and it was a great experience. not only it has enough to keep kids happy and occupied, the staff is excellent for their attitude and service extended. the buffet at Tides is great quality especially some of the sushi and seafood options were very fresh, Chef Rajendra serves some great and genuine Indian cuisine - very good options at dinner and lunch buffets. Joel, Darren, Yeth, Shara, Mira were not only attentive but genuinely happy to serve needs of the guests. Joel was exceptional as he took personal interest to make sure we were comfortable, got us cabana reserved at the beach (weekends are very crowded so this helped us esp with young kids), they remembered our drinks preferences after day 1. the beach is cozy and nice and good facilities. the pool side is great to spend the day and the snacks and drinks at buko bar have good options. Acqua decor is really warm for a lazy lunch. overall a great experience and we will definitely look forward to visiting this resort for our next holiday in Mactan.

Room Tip: high floors are great views.
  • Stayed: April 2016, traveled with family

Dear Seedy699,

Thank you very much for the great comments about the team; Chef Raj, Joel, Darren, Yeth, Shara and Mira will be so pleased to know you commended them and they will certainly be inspired to do what they do so well.

I certainly look forward to having you stay with us again.

All the best,

Reviewed 8 April 2016 via mobile

I gave a lower rating from my experience last year. This year was different though! We were welcomed by their Guest Relations Officer and their GM the moment we arrived, it was a grand welcome I thought. Then I remembered, my husband recently reached Diamond tier, that's why. Haha Still great welcome experience though.
Same as last year, staff are always nice and friendly, the resort clean and beautiful.
Still needs improvement on house keeping in terms of room make up requests. Also other guests reserving lounge chairs in the morning for hours still annoys me. But,
Over-all it was a great stay and I look forward to going back soon!

Stayed: March 2016, traveled as a couple

Dear littlemissj08,

Glad to have met you, and glad to know you had a great stay! I will look into the issues you raised to see how we can manage these areas better.

Looking forward to your return very soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 8 April 2016 via mobile

Went there with 3 kids. We enjoyed the beach and the pool. Staff are so accomodating. Nice room too. We had problem with the door of the restroom and they fixed it and was very apologetic. Love the food... the place.

This is a great place for kids!

Love love... will definitely go back.

I just hope that if there are guest waiting for a cab they can call cabs outside. We were all lined up and another family but have to wait 30 minutes for cab to arrived. Just outside the hotel
premises there were cans waiting. That's the only complain I have. But overall enjoyed out stay.

Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family

Dear Jen L,

Happy to read you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to swiftly resolve your concerns. I will look into how we can manage our procedures better to ensure a more timely service delivery.

Looking forward to having you with us again for another holiday!

All the best,