“Very pleasant place, very friendly, and authentic Indonesian dishes”

Warung sa Kapitolyo
Ranked #19 of 524 Restaurants in Pasig
Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

It's in a 1960s house converted to a restaurant. The owner, who was walking around to greet customers, showed us around and the place a couple of rooms that can host a small party.

Service was quick. We had the fish head curry, grilled fish and of course chicken and nasi goreng. I would have want the curry to be a bit more spicy but it was very good anyway. The soup we had was the sotanghon and it was fantastic. The only glitch we had was the late arrival of the nasi goreng.

We will definitely go back. Good ambience, courteous service, authentic dishes, all reasonably priced, we will definitely go back.

Reviewed 14 October 2016

My love for Asian food has been limited to Japanese, Thai and FIlipino foods. With the rarity of Indonesian restaurants in the metro, the only Indonesian delicacy I am familiar with is the tempeh kedelee which I got to prepare every semester as part of our experiment in Microbiology 1 when I was still teaching in UPLB. Tempeh is an Indonesian fermented product made of soybeans.

Little did I know that there is a restaurant in Kapitolyo called Warung which specializes in Indonesian cuisine. Thanks to my friend who brought me there for lunch.

There is no doubt that much thinking has been done in creating the restaurant. The design of Warung is simple yet elegant. I love the detailed accent on the gate and the stone statues that greet guests as they enter the dining area. The restaurant is spacious with a few Indonesian decors and lovely colored lamps hanging from the ceiling.

Our choice of food depended largely on the waiters who were very knowledgeable about the dishes in Warung. If the menu may look intimidating to you when you visit, do not hesitate to ask the waiters. They were very friendly and helpful when I visited. They were also garbed in Indonesian outfits making the Indonesian experience authentic.

We started with the Gorengan platter (P185) for our appetizer. This is composed of four dishes including Bakwan Sayur (vegetable fritter), Jagung Perkedel (corn fritter), Tempeh Mendoan (deep fired tempeh) and Tahu Isi (fried tofu) complemented perfectly with chili sauce and minced carrots and cucumber in vinegar. Each serving may be good for 3-4 persons.

For the main course, we tried Nasi goreng (fried rice)(P185) with ayam goreng (fried chicken with special flakes)(half: P250/ whole: P450). It was a match made in heaven! The chicken may look dry but it was actually very tender and the skin was crispy. I loved the special flakes especially when mixed with the fried rice. The special sauce that comes with the chicken was also very good. Extra order of the sauce costs P20.

Most of the foods that we have tried were battered and fried but they were not oily. Flavors were very good and well balanced. To complement the dishes, I had a serving of Es buah anga and nanas (dragon fruit and pineapple shake) which was truly refreshing and so beautiful to look at. I actually do not like dragon fruit but mixing it with pineapple was such a brilliant idea.

There is still a lot to explore in Warung so I will definitely return for more Indonesian delights.

1  Thank jun_barnes
Reviewed 9 October 2016

I had read glowing reviews about this place; that it did not disappoint is a testament to its growing legacy. I particularly enjoyed the Sate Ayam and the notes of roasted peanuts (as opposed to the more common peanut butter) in the sauce. But the other dishes we tried - sampler of appetizers, fish head curry, beef rendang, nasi goreng, el teler for dessert - were all well-executed if less remarkable. The place was packed despite the late lunch we were having (1:30-3:00PM), but the airy, spacious interiors and fairly efficient waitstaff made the experience pleasant. My only complaint: the Es Teler, described as having avocado, came with banana instead - a mild disappointment, as I have fond memories of an avocado-coconut-shaved ice concoction I had once around 20 years ago, in a hole-in-the-wall Indo canteen. I will return when avocado is back in season.

Reviewed 21 September 2016 via mobile

We decided to give this restaurant a try as we were entertaining friends. I have never tried Indonesian food before but it has similarity to other nearby Asian neighbors so I was not hesitant to give it a try. We ordered all of the recommended dishes by the server. The portion sizes are good to share by a small group. The food could have been served hotter and would have probably tasted better too. We had special treatment from the owner who took the time to talk to us and explained the dishes to us which will explain my added rating to this restaurant from average to very good. The place is very spacious and good for large events. Be sure to order the Ayam Goreng which is fried chicken with a special flakey crust that the owner said is its own juices.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

If you're tired of the same old mall-based restaurants, this is a good one to try. It's a house with a light and airy Asian interior design, a nice place for a slow lunch with friends. The food is strong-flavored and satisfying. Street parking is limited, so be there as it opens, or take a taxi cab. BEFORE you go, check its location on an online map--it's on a side street in Kapitolyo, Pasig and may not be easy to find. We plan to return to try out all their dishes.