“Limited but excellent vegetarian options”
Review of Din Tai Fung

Din Tai Fung
Ranked #5 of 521 Restaurants in Mandaluyong
Reviewed 6 October 2016 via mobile

The best place for vegetarian dumplings in the city! Love the vegetarian mushroom wontons in house special sauce, it's a favorite for vegetarians and non vegetarians. (The favorite of my non veg friends is the crab roe & pork xiao long bao.) Other veg friendly dishes to order: the fried rice with garlic & sweet onions goes perfectly with any of the stir fried vegetables*, my favorite is the watercress.

For beverage, I find the iced rose tea very refreshing.

Don't skip dessert, you MUST order the heavenly chocolate lava xiao long bao! I get 1 order to myself (it consists of 3 small pieces).

*Do note that you need to specify that you are vegetarian - the stir fried veggies are usually made with a meat broth, they will omit that if you are. I was fortunate that the waitress asked if I was vegetarian and if I am ok with meat broth or not ... NOT .... and asked if I was ok with eggs, garlic onions, which I am. I am fortunate she asked - my previous 3 visits the servers did not ask....hmmmm... that aside service is excellent.

Reviewed 29 September 2016 via mobile

if you did not order their famous xiao long bao and their plump & juicy pork/shrimp dumplings on your 1st visit, go back and savor them to your tummy's content. be sure to also bring extra patience while waiting for your name to be called for an available table. it's that long.but i guarantee it's worth the wait.

Reviewed 25 September 2016 via mobile

Simply perfect! My favorite course are the "Xiao Long Bao", a delicious steamed pasta filled with pork, chicken, shrimp or others and a soup, and the "Steamed Vegetarian Mushroom Dumpling" which is made with vegetables and mushrooms. The presentation of these dishes are delicated and beautiful. I also tried the "Machang Noodles with Sesame and Peanut Sauce" and the "Sweet and Sour Chicken", both are strongly recommended.

Reviewed 23 September 2016

I am rating this as average just because I had great expectations, which were not met. Shrimp and Pork Wonton Noodle soup was bland. Black pepper beef was tough. Salted Egg Yolk Prawns and Chocolate Lava Xiao Long Bao were good on the other hand. Serving were really small.

Staff were all attentive despite busy. We recommend that you eat here during weekdays to avoid wait time.

Reviewed 20 September 2016

Went here in an early lunch (around 10 Am), so the place was not yet full. The pork and crab roe xia long bao were tasty but for me the best dish I tasted was the Shrimp and pork wontons (with special spicy sauce).