“Best Uni Sashimi in Town”
Review of Senju

Senju
Ranked #7 of 553 Restaurants in Mandaluyong
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Senju elegantly transforms the Japanese dining experience into an art form. Each plate is treated like a masterpiece, created with passion and limitless imagination. Calculated presentations create a striking balance between beauty and flavour. The chef’s artistry can truly be seen in foods such as sushi, maki, sashimi and robatayaki, as well as special kaiseki menus. The restaurant has a total seating capacity of 130 diners and features four private rooms. Smoking is not permitted.
Reviewed 19 May 2016

Best Uni Sashimi I've ever had! (I always order Uni sashimi wherever I can find it, this one really blew me away, quality Uni and definitely fresh). Everything on the sashimi platter was delightful (salmon, scallops, tuna). I rarely eat Ebi Tempura since I'm allergic to shrimp but I really wanted to try so I had a piece. The shrimp in the tempura was very sweet and tender, the batter was just perfect. Cold Sake was served in this beautiful contraption. It was the perfect pairing for the food we had thanks to the suggestion of their manager Jeffrey. The staff of Senju are very warm, attentive, fast and efficient. I will definitely go back for more.

Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

After our training yesterday with my colleagues, we decided to try and eat Japanese food at EDSA Shangrila Hotel which was called Senju.

The ambiance and Japanese themed style were nice, simple and clean. The warm greetings and fast service of the staff and manager were great. I was amazed with the style and preparation of the food and drinks. Most especially the sake tower (forgot what they call on it). It was my first time to drink sake and I can say it taste good. Perfect partner for the food that we ordered with the help of manager Jeff(coz we can't decide what to eat that night).

Looking forward to visit and eat at senju again! Kudos to their staff and manager.

Reviewed 10 May 2016 via mobile

Its out of the plan to dine at Senju due to Summer Palace is full reservation and they can't accomodate us. We decided to dine at Senju, nothing to expect but as we asked a table for 8, receptionist had smile and warm greetings that there is something in Senju? As we sitted and have our menu, one waiter (i dont know the name) had greet us and offer a drink "Would you like to have your drinks first?" sound like he knows that we are thirsty and hungry. He offered something to refresh which is buko lychee"perfect and realy refreshing" then he placed the order and came back to our table, my husband asked for best seller items and this waiter was like an instructor that he need to explain every dishes that we can only say is "i like it" our tummy is more get into vibrating with the sounds of "white tender juicy". The Ebi miso and the yellow tail grilled, the beef and also the soup in a pot☆. Eventhough the flow of service is like waiting a taxi in a rush hour, the waiter always visit our table to check evreything and to inform us the status of our foods but, salads was gave to us he told its on the house and opalogized for tge delayed of foods. He has a lot of guests and loaded of pending but the most surprising is how he know that my husband will celebrating a birthday that dinner and we just surprised that little sliced of pudding was served with matching japanese birthday song. He's gratitude and being caring to other people was realy gave an excemptional and Excellent service.

Reviewed 3 May 2016 via mobile

Great sushi bar which is all I've ever done when visiting. Chef Bryant has amazing creations. His attention to detail is wonderful. Everyone in the staff is the best! Always the freshest sashimi, which is all I eat there. Very extensive drink and food menu.

Reviewed 2 May 2016 via mobile

As I was in the hotel and after looking some comments during my flight to Manila and also the publicity in the room tv, I decided to try the place. It sound like a very original and different Japanese place. When I got there it was a little bit late (10:10) and the kitchen closes usually at 10:30. "We receive until that time any customer" kindly the nice hostess told me and she offered a table. I liked the attention and went in.

The place is really nice and the decoration takes you to feel somewhere out of Manila. It is relaxed and elegant. Surprisingly, I was the only client - so I had all the restaurant for me as well as all the attention. Should be like that and although the waiter was really kind and looking into my requests, he disappeared a couple of times and I had to wait for asking a drink as well as the check. But he always was nice.

However, the point in a restaurant is the food. I was hungry so I asked for a noodle udon soup and one of the specialty rolls in the house: the Crazy Maki described as "prawn tempura, crabstick, omelette cucumber and salmon skin wrapped and topped with crunchy topping". When I read that my mind really told my mouth that we should try those!

So... Ideas are all many times to have expectations that heavily differ from reality.

The maki rolls came first. Looked very nice as they came served. The "crunchy topping" was something like pieces (many) of fried Panko with... Something. I tried the first roll and the flavor was good the first, second or third... But with the fourth one it starts to be boring. Also, the size of the roll was difficult to handle as it was very big (and I have big mouth so I usually do not care about this detail - but this time I did!). The worst part was the combination with that strange crispy topping mixed with nothing else than simple mayo, which resulted in a mass that at the end remained in the plate uneaten as I cannot take more of that thing. Crazy and pointless having all that mixed.

Then... The noodles. Simple as eating chicken soup with udon. No flavor. Plane. Nothing surprising. Candidate to remain in the forgotten usual and no relevant food in my life. It was a pity as I have had a very good noodles in a no-fancy place in Singapore two days ago - so, being in a highly publicized and high prices place made me have high expectations.

Sadly, they were not met.

Date of visit: April 2016