“Not worth it”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$48.76*
and up
Full-Day Private Tour of Taal Volcano with a...
More attraction details
Owner description: Taal Volcano is located about 60 km (about 37 miles) south of Metro Manila. Last major eruption was reported back in 1965 that affected villages in the surrounding area.
Reviewed 24 April 2018

We paid $45 each US to ride a boat over to the island, asked to buy a horse for our tour guide from the boat, plopped on a pathetically small horse where a picture was snapped and then started up the mountain where along the way we were asked to buy a drink for our mountain guide and another picture snapped. My guide decided to ride on the horse directly behind me and I felt awful that the horse was laboring so bad up the mountain. After dismounting at the top, we were again asked to buy our guides a beverage (husband did and his guide then handed the bottle back to the person to resell again, offered the pictures to buy, and received many requests to buy food or drink. Heading back down the guide again felt he should ride on the horse. The horse stumbled and almost fell down the steep trail. I offered to walk so the horse wouldn’t have to carry me down the step part. The guide quickly agreed and then proceeded to ride the horse I paid for down. After getting back on and making our way to the bottom, the guide asked me for a tip which I politely declined. He then became upset and told me to just walk away. We then were asked for another tip for the men who sat fishing in the boat while we were on the island.
While the view was incredible, I would not recommend this. Stay at the top and enjoy a nice meal at a restaurant. You will still have a nice view.

6  Thank Sheryl K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,539)
All reviews
in 15 reviews
"metro manila"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

Great adventure and horse back ride. Tour operators seem a little sketchy. At the dock I was told not to pay anybody until I got back but the tour guide told me to pay for my horse/ mule when I got to the island. All told it was like $50 USD. I wanted to hike up the volcano but was convinced to go by horse for an extra fee. You don’t ride by yourself. You are led up. When I came back down, a tip was demanded by the horse guide. They pressure you all over. When you get to the top the operators guilt you into buying a drink for the horse guide. Gee it’s only a mile or two up the hill.

The view is gorgeous don’t get me wrong. But the way the place is run I felt used.

2  Thank barfiemermaid
Reviewed 14 April 2018

I had an opportunity to see up close the crater of Tall Volcano (world's smallest active volcano). It is an hour boat ride and then walk for roughly 1.5 hours or you can hire a horse that will take you to the top of the crater. Amazing view. There are store that sell water and other drinks to satisfy your needs. Wear comfy clothes. It's too hot to go there.

Reviewed 12 April 2018

The trek up to the deck is around 2.25 km and takes around 45 min/ 1hr depending on your speed. Do carry enough water, cap and dust masks or face scarf as the road tends to be dusty. There are horse rides available as well and since they travel on the same route as the trekking road, a lot of dust is blown along the way.Mind your step for horse dung and letting the animals pass. There are these hot Sulphur steam holes which one can spot en route (not dangerous) which are pretty exciting. Once you reach the top deck, the view is awesome like literally.It's an island inside a lake which is on an island and that is surrounded by a lake.( HAHA figure that out!) There are a few shops near the deck which sell water, coconut water, t-shirts, energy drinks etc.. but at a higher rate. The descent is pretty easy except for making way for the horses. Overall we enjoyed the top view but not really the trek.

2  Thank Ambita N