Hotel Jen Penang(George Town)
US$85
Muntri Mews(George Town)
US$111
US$100
  • Restaurant
Ryokan Muntri Boutique Hostel(George Town)(Great Value!)
US$39
US$17
Hostelworld.com
  • Breakfast included
Muntri Grove Hotel(George Town)
US$116
US$101
Royale Chulan Penang(George Town)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$65
Priceline
US$213
US$176
Seven Terraces(George Town)
US$192
US$185
All reviewsfemale bathroomnice loungemixed dormsfree breakfasttop bunkgreat air conprivate roomsimple breakfastwooden floorslight sleeperfree waterbus stopsingle roomdefinitely stay here againlocation is greatcommon areaswalking distance
Reviewed 13 September 2015

I stayed in August which is basically the best time ever for everyone to come to Georgetown cuz August is Georgetown Festival month. There's a lot of shows, exhibitions and things to do in August. And Syok at Chulia is smack right in the middle of the city with easy access (walking or by bicycle) to nearby famous eateries and (why would you come to Georgetown if not for the famous) murals.
The receptionist is a Filipino, she don't know much about places but she's very friendly. The bed is super good for a budget hostel and the bathroom is clean and beautiful! The lounge is a bit stuffy though.
Tip: The top bunk is too high for me so don't take the top bunk if you're afraid of height. My feet hurts climbing up too.
Stayed in female-only 8 people sharing dorm. In Kelantan I can get a private room for two with the same price but I guess this place is a lot cleaner than budget hotel with the same price in Kelantan!.
All in all, a good place to stay. 5 stars.

Room Tip: Top bunk is colder, duh.
  • Stayed: August 2015, traveled with friends
siok755, Manager at SIOK Hostel, Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2015

Hi,
Thank you for writing such a nice review about us,it's a very much appreciated...It is always a real nice to receive a positive feedbacks as it come as a great motivation to all of us.We look forward and happy to see you again in the future.God bless...

Reviewed 2 September 2015

A big thank you to the staff at SIOK Hostel for a fantastic stay. Although not budget, it was definitely good value. The room was very clean and even smelled nice. The whole hostel was very clean and very tastefully decorated .
Last but not least, your staff was amazingly friendly and made me feel like home.
Highly recommendable. Will definitely be back on my next trip to Penang

• Stayed: August 2015, traveled on business
siok755, Manager at SIOK Hostel, Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2015

Dear Sir Joe,
Thank you for taking time to review about us.We appreciate your feedback! We are so very glad that you enjoyed to stay with us.Wish you will visit us again soon :)

CHE
(morning-shift receptionist)

Reviewed 23 August 2015 via mobile

Yes, the rating doesn't match the rating. Maybe I set me expectations wrong based on passed reviews.
Pros- nice decor, good bunk beds, clean, good functioning air-con. If this is what you require, are in for a stop over place is likely fine.

Cons-
linen. Well all you get is a blanket, no topsheet, just a flimsy blanket. I got a cold from aircon, asked for a second one, and was told you need to pay for extra one (when the saw me blow my nose they found an old one for free).
Layout- you end up going through the bathroom and outside stairs to go to the breakfast area. White bread and burnt coffee.
Staff. I arrived late (train problem), which I advised through their own contact form (they do not provide email address). Once night manager, decided to open up telling me they decided I wasn't coming, we went through the whole registration process. However he had no change for my payment, a while RM6! I said no problem, I'm here for three days. He woke me up at 7:30 to give me the change!
On leaving, more train issues so delayed one day.. Train station said to call next day if train was running, Syoc manager said they would. When I asked next morning, the girl at desk refused to call or let me use the phone.
Communication- I sent three message on their contact form, not one got answered, and as above at least one wasn't read. And this is what they provide on website.
Add a lack of travel further information, and I think this is a nice place to crash, but didn't fit this traveler's need. Sad it could be so much better.

Stayed: August 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank meanderingemu
siok755, Manager at SIOK Hostel, Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2015

Dear Madam/Sir,
Thank you for bringing this issue in our attention.We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the miscommunication you encountered during your stay at our hostel, (train transportation) however, we looking into it to ensure it does not happen again.
We also would like to tell you that we are under in a new management,the old email is no longer valid. (this is our new email: SIOKHOSTEL@GMAIL.COM) We hope that can convince you to visit again here in our hostel in the future.
Once again,thank you very much for your candid review of your recent stay at our hostel.Your feedback is extremely valuable to us,as we strive to improve with each and every stay.
With much Appreciation,
AND ALL SIOK TEAM

Reviewed 15 August 2015

We travel in group of 8, and spent 3 nights in syok (which is now call siok). All of us enjoyed the stay very much and will surely return to this hostel on our next visit to Georgetown. The room are spacious and clean. The staff are friendly and helpful, they try their best to fulfill our request and inquiries, they help to arrange a room for us on our extended stay. They even provided us a key card for our convenient.The location is strategic, you can get to the food stalls in walking distance, if you are tired of walking or thinking to go places like Batu Ferringi or Gurney drive, the bus stop is just within a few minutes walking distance. The only thing is that they do not provide lockers, so if u are staying over remember to bring along your own lockers. Overall, Syok is the best budget hostel, it is a part of our memorable event in our trip.

• Stayed: August 2015, traveled with friends

Hi Miss Joyce,
Thank you for taking time to review about our hostel.We appreciate your positive feedback.
We look forward to having you again as a guest.
Thanks and Regards,
CHE ( morning-shift receptionist)

Reviewed 11 August 2015 via mobile

The dorm is clean. Staffs are very friendly. Shared toilets but no worries they are very clean. 3 minutes walk to a bus stop. Within walking distance you can get Penang's best cendol (in Penang road) and famous hawker stalls. Quite near to the pubs and bars. The beds and pillows are very comfortable.

Stayed: August 2015, traveled with friends

Hi Sir Vic,
Thank you for sending here such a complements review.Your positive feedback allows us to know our effort are appreciated.We will continue to maintain and improve our services,and building to ensure our guests enjoy their time here with us.
Thank you once again for your nice feedback.We hope to have the pleasure of serving you with your group again, in the future.