All reviewsfemale bathroommixed dormsnice loungeyouth hostelsimple breakfastwooden floorslight sleeperfree watersingle roomlocation is greatdefinitely stay here againwalking distancebedscerealgeorgetownpenangdormitory
Reviewed 2 September 2015

A big thank you to the staff at SIOK Hostel for a fantastic stay. Although not budget, it was definitely good value. The room was very clean and even smelled nice. The whole hostel was very clean and very tastefully decorated .
Last but not least, your staff was amazingly friendly and made me feel like home.
Highly recommendable. Will definitely be back on my next trip to Penang

• Stayed: August 2015, traveled on business
siok755, Manager at Georgetown Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2015

Dear Sir Joe,
Thank you for taking time to review about us.We appreciate your feedback! We are so very glad that you enjoyed to stay with us.Wish you will visit us again soon :)

Thanks & Regards,
CHE
(morning-shift receptionist)

Reviewed 23 August 2015 via mobile

Yes, the rating doesn't match the rating. Maybe I set me expectations wrong based on passed reviews.
Pros- nice decor, good bunk beds, clean, good functioning air-con. If this is what you require, are in for a stop over place is likely fine.

Cons-
linen. Well all you get is a blanket, no topsheet, just a flimsy blanket. I got a cold from aircon, asked for a second one, and was told you need to pay for extra one (when the saw me blow my nose they found an old one for free).
Layout- you end up going through the bathroom and outside stairs to go to the breakfast area. White bread and burnt coffee.
Staff. I arrived late (train problem), which I advised through their own contact form (they do not provide email address). Once night manager, decided to open up telling me they decided I wasn't coming, we went through the whole registration process. However he had no change for my payment, a while RM6! I said no problem, I'm here for three days. He woke me up at 7:30 to give me the change!
On leaving, more train issues so delayed one day.. Train station said to call next day if train was running, Syoc manager said they would. When I asked next morning, the girl at desk refused to call or let me use the phone.
Communication- I sent three message on their contact form, not one got answered, and as above at least one wasn't read. And this is what they provide on website.
Add a lack of travel further information, and I think this is a nice place to crash, but didn't fit this traveler's need. Sad it could be so much better.

Stayed: August 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank meanderingemu
siok755, Manager at Georgetown Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2015

Dear Madam/Sir,
Thank you for bringing this issue in our attention.We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the miscommunication you encountered during your stay at our hostel, (train transportation) however, we looking into it to ensure it does not happen again.
We also would like to tell you that we are under in a new management,the old email is no longer valid. (this is our new email: SIOKHOSTEL@GMAIL.COM) We hope that can convince you to visit again here in our hostel in the future.
Once again,thank you very much for your candid review of your recent stay at our hostel.Your feedback is extremely valuable to us,as we strive to improve with each and every stay.
With much Appreciation,
CHE (morning-shift receptionist)
AND ALL SIOK TEAM

Reviewed 15 August 2015

We travel in group of 8, and spent 3 nights in syok (which is now call siok). All of us enjoyed the stay very much and will surely return to this hostel on our next visit to Georgetown. The room are spacious and clean. The staff are friendly and helpful, they try their best to fulfill our request and inquiries, they help to arrange a room for us on our extended stay. They even provided us a key card for our convenient.The location is strategic, you can get to the food stalls in walking distance, if you are tired of walking or thinking to go places like Batu Ferringi or Gurney drive, the bus stop is just within a few minutes walking distance. The only thing is that they do not provide lockers, so if u are staying over remember to bring along your own lockers. Overall, Syok is the best budget hostel, it is a part of our memorable event in our trip.

• Stayed: August 2015, traveled with friends

Hi Miss Joyce,
Thank you for taking time to review about our hostel.We appreciate your positive feedback.
We look forward to having you again as a guest.
Thanks and Regards,
CHE ( morning-shift receptionist)

Reviewed 11 August 2015 via mobile

The dorm is clean. Staffs are very friendly. Shared toilets but no worries they are very clean. 3 minutes walk to a bus stop. Within walking distance you can get Penang's best cendol (in Penang road) and famous hawker stalls. Quite near to the pubs and bars. The beds and pillows are very comfortable.

Stayed: August 2015, traveled with friends

Hi Sir Vic,
Thank you for sending here such a complements review.Your positive feedback allows us to know our effort are appreciated.We will continue to maintain and improve our services,and building to ensure our guests enjoy their time here with us.
Thank you once again for your nice feedback.We hope to have the pleasure of serving you with your group again, in the future.
Thanks & Regards,
CHE (morning-shift receptionist)

Reviewed 4 August 2015

Walked around for a bit and looked at most of the hostels available near 'Love Ln.'. Many were either rundown or lacking a social atmosphere. This place is clean, modern, well maintained and has a great common area on the top floor.

Mixed and female dorms available for approximately 50 ringgit per night. There were some slightly cheaper options around, but this was pretty average for the area. The rooms have AC and the common room is comfortable with loads of seating a few games and books, TV and desktop.

The only downside to my stay was how noisy it could be early morning in the female dorm when staff was preparing (free) breakfast. I'd recommend staying in the mixed dorm which isn't directing below the common area. Just an old building with wood floors so noise carried a bit.

Also staff was very friendly but not the greatest at arranging transport, I had them arrange a taxi for me to the Thai embassy. Had to go back the next day and right off the street got one much cheaper. So I suggest doing it on your own.

Overall definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2015, traveled with friends