“Comfortable”
Review of Chalet

Chalet
Ranked #23 of 2,157 Restaurants in Almaty
Price range: US$12 - US$70
Description: The interior of the restaurant has a rustic 1920s feel and is tastefully decorated with one hundred year old wood which is specifically selected from the depths of the Altai mountains, crackling, warming fireplaces add to the relaxing homely atmosphere. Panoramic windows ensure a splendid view of the mountains and the picturesque Zaliliysky Alatu Mountains, as you dine in pleasure. For our younger guests we have a fun children's lounge area, where kids can play and watch cartoons. In addition to the luxury main hall capacity 180 seats we also offer a V.I.P area for celebrations, weddings, business meetings and other events. Our restaurant is a place where those who love or want to experience real local cuisine at its very best.
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

A very cozy restaurant with a beautiful view if you choose a table at the far end. After some skiing, a glass of wine and some food would be a great reward, which they offer gladly. Food quality is just acceptable, but considering the comfy environment one does not complain much.

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

This is a great post ski place to chill in and warm up and have a nice warm meal after that long activity. I would recommend it. I had the horse steak which was surprisingly very good.

Thank Dr.Q T
Reviewed 7 November 2017

This Swiss looking chalet in the popular ski slope of Almaty boost a great view of the mountain with generous cup f coffee and good slice of cake. Best visit in the afternoon after a cable car ride and pictures with the photogenic mountain. If time allows, a side visit to the nearby Winter Sports Stadium will add value to the day trip out here.

Reviewed 12 April 2017 via mobile

What a great restaurant in a stunning location

Had lamb shashlik and chops - tasted amazing

Trip up to restaurant via cable car was epic - beautiful scenery including the old skating rink

Reviewed 11 April 2017

After several previous visits to Chalet restaurant at Shymbulak, I was excited to invite friends there for the views, food and warm atmosphere of the restaurant.
Well.... it didn't live up to my expectations. Being seated was a hassle as all the tables by the windows with views, had been "reserved". Turned out later that if you watched closely Reserved meant waiters being given cash on arrival by other clients and then the "reserved signs were taken off the table.

On the positive side the food was really good and the medallions / steak was outstanding.

on the negative: The level of service is awful. Waiters eager top take orders but not attentive after that. Often more waiters talking to each other than serving clients.
Wine was served twice as each time glasses were dirty and had hairs in them floating on the surface of the wine.

The restaurant has ShiSha and no designated smoking area. the result for adamant non smokers like myself and my guests was that we got smoked out by 3 tables of smokers around us and literally no air circulation meant it was not pleasant to try and eat a meal surrounded by smokers. I am sure there are smoking rules and laws in Kazakhstan about designated smoking areas but I don't think they are being applied or adhered to in Chalet.

It took 30 minutes to get "our designated waiter" to bring the Bill. when asking other waiters they just laughed and walked away one saying "its not my table".
I complained to the so called restaurant Supervisor who was standing behind the bar with other barman. He just smiled and said he "would try to find our waiter".

I think the restaurant has a unique style, great food and a captive market being ideally placed in Shymbulak Ski resort.

However, I think these very positive factors have led to complacency about the quality of service and the attention to detail amongst the staff.

1  Thank paul_gahagan