Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

More Info
from US$630.80
More Info
1,150 results
All reviews golden hall story pagoda under renovation beautiful pagoda main hall national treasure nara park buddhist art ji temple kintetsu station world heritage site entrance fee shopping street worth a visit deer park octagon museum
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Nice temple. Entrance fee is needed to visit the interior. A walk surrounding is very nice. Shopping street nearby is where you can find snacks and food.

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed 31 March 2018

You can see a lot of construction going on in various temples and tourist attractions of japan to prepare for the Tokyo 2020 olympics. After seeing so many temples, one can be numb to the sight yet I still find it a humbling experience. A nice detour to the deer park and not as crowded as the more famous temple nearby

Reviewed 25 March 2018

It's a 5-minute jaunt from Kintetsu Nara Station to Kofuku-ji Temple. And yes, you will encounter deer - the messengers of the Gods - roaming around, even before you reach Nara Park. Along the way, there are souvenir and gift shops - one of which sold lunches of assorted rice balls in souvenir wooden bento boxes at the cost of 1,200 yen apiece. Yes, I had to get one - and I got the last one! Hmmm, it is estimated that there are about 1,200 deer in the area. Number coincidence?

Reviewed 16 March 2018

This is one of the temples that I was least impressed with but there are many people who come to pray. We went to this temple as a detour on our way to the train station which is what most people do. It's more of a scenic route to the train station.

Reviewed 1 March 2018

This review is not really about Kōfuku-ji, but an incident that I witnessed there. We arrived in Nara around noon, and would like to go to the park behind Kōfuku-ji, there were music and foods, caravans with chefs were lining up at the park, and it was such a good weather to have a "picnic". There was this old man, so old that he walked so slowly, shivering each step, moving slowly with his cane. Just when we were about to cross each other, he mumbled something, and stood still. I was curious so I stood and watched. Apparently, he saw a tiny piece of paper about the size of a thumb on the floor. And he wanted to pick it up. It was only then, I realised, basically it was so clean in the compound of Kōfuku-ji, there is not a even a piece of paper on the floor. I was so touched by his gesture. What made a nation great, its the people and their mentality.

Date of experience: November 2017