“Good driving route and color leaves”
Review of Irohazaka Route

Irohazaka Route
Book In Advance
More Info
US$118.66*
and up
Lake Chuzenji, Kegon Waterfalls with Traditional...
Reviewed 15 November 2017

It was really good color leaves. If you like driving a car, i'm sure you can enjoy here.
There's cable car, and people can enjoy the view from top of the mountain.
When i visited at cable car station, a big typhoon was coming, and it wasn't available.

All reviews
"mountains"
in 7 reviews
"autumn"

Reviewed 12 November 2017

The route from Nikko to Lake Chuzenji and Yumoto onsen. Best driven in autumn when the curvy, super steep roads, one way up and a separate downslope route turns into a rich sea of gold, red and orange. An amazing drive navigating the 48 hairpin turns and looking out over the scenic mountains. Best seen from late October to early November which is also the most popular time with tourists. Be warned to go as early as possible, avoid weekends and national holidays to stay clear of massive traffic jam.
Each corner has a letter of ancient Japanese alphabet in alphabetical order. The new upward traffic road has a pitstop at Akechidaira Plateau with an observation deck to view the entire valley below. Be extra careful on your way down. The 28 downhill hairpin curves are sharper than the route up. For the car and motorbike enthusiasts, this is your ultimate driving experience. This road has been touted as one of the most spectaculars roads in the world by dangerousroads.org users.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

The 48 mostly hair-pin bends is thrilling but safely enjoyed as the vehicle wind up 20 bends on the way up from Nikko town to Lake Chuzenji and 28 bends down on the way back. It is cleverly designed in such a way that all vehicles goes in one direction so all these bends can be negotiated safely without facing any vehicle in the opposite direction.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

I was on a tour bus on my way to see the sites of Lake Chūzenji but oh my goodness I was not expecting these kinds of mountainous roads to get me there. I'm from Texas, so to be honest, I was extremely nervous of these sharp looking turns (and on a mountain, no less!) and winding roads. But thankfully, I was in the hands of an extremely experienced driver so I enjoyed the scenery much more than I had expected. Shoutout to Mr. Watabe!

Anywho, the mountains are so gorgeous here and I couldn't wait to just snap away with my camera to capture ever scenery. And the craziest thing! I even saw monkeys here! It was super regretful that I didn't have my camera ready at all times but I saw monkeys dangling off of the trees from my bus window! It was amazing. I have never seen anything like it before. So make sure to always have your phone on camera mode at the ready so you don't miss a thing! Enjoy!