Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa
Natsukashiya Fuwari(Nikko)(Great Value!)
US$102
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmassage chairwelcome drinkprivate bathbeautiful japanese gardenone nightkaiseki dinnerpublic onsendinner servedkoi pondconvenient shuttlejapanese western roomtrain stationshabu shabufree snacksopen air bathtatami stylecoffee machine
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

What can I say? Had a memorable time at Okunoin Hotel, but the food was the most memorable part. Or maybe it was the staff? Everyone was so delightful! The hotel/ryokan is a little bit outside of Nikko central but a quick shuttle ride or 20 minute walk to the UNESCO World Heritage Site. It sits on a quaint stream which makes for a lovely ambiance.

Stayed in one of the Western style (Fuji) twin rooms, which worked for three nights (bed was comfortable) but the room was definitely showing its age (shower smelled a bit of mildew, wood trim in the room was showing signs of wear and scuff marks on the walls). At $400/night, I had higher expectations. Admittedly, my view would be more favorable if I had a room with private hot tub or stayed in the newer annex. Private hot tubs are a nice option if you don’t get a room with its own.

Back to the food though, everything is beautifully prepared. Come hungry! So many courses at breakfast and dinner. I can eat a lot and the breakfasts were overwhelming. Also recommend doing the Japanese style breakfast and trying some unique dishes (never tried natto before).

All-in-all, had a great time and was a great choice for a few nights.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

A ryokan is for travelers who wish to experience Japanese culture and enjoy the comforts of Japanese hospitality and service, Japanese Dishes. Ryokans are only available in Japan and it is an experience not to be missed. We are happy that you are very satisfied with that.

I really hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2018 via mobile

We booked the room with open-air baht for one night. We are much happy to stay at this resort. Warm welcome and nice take care from hotel staff. They upgraded our room to the premium room with open air baht which is bigger than the room that we booked before.

There are the Japanese-style room, living room and bed room indoors and a balcony with deck chairs extending outdoors, fully furnished with the dedicated open-air bath having a perfect sense of openness. They provided yukata for us and my son. I love amenities in baht room, it have many skin care and treatment for usage.

Due to our room rate including dinning and breakfast. They provided the private room for our meal.

Our dinner served in Japanese menu. They serves several local food for appetizer, A5 kobe shabu for main and tofu pudding for dessert. They provided kid menu for our son.

Our breakfast served in Japanese style. (They can provided western style but we recommended you try local Japanese food, it is delights and healthy.)

They provides free shuttle bus service from the hotel to JR nikko station when you check out.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2018

Thank you so much for such a great review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad to know that you and your family had a comfortable stay in our place. Look forward to meeting you guys and your family soon!

Reviewed February 1, 2018

Stayed a few nights here and the onsen was typical (jacuzzi, pool, and outside) and very relaxing outdoors when temparature was near freezing (December) Meals were served in private room and excellent all nights we were there... love the place except it was very cold during the day trip to the temples and the staff gracefully gave us hand warmers... will come back...

Room Tip: Call the ryokan, staff speaks fluent English and Chinese
Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa. I am delighted that you enjoyed such a fantastic experience Japanese Ryokan. We truly pride ourselves on our hospitality and personalized service, and so it is brilliant to see that we exceeded your expectations. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Nikko soon!

Reviewed January 20, 2018 via mobile

Was in room “ daffodil “ at Okunoin hotel tokugawa. The best thing for me was having my own outdoor onsen (preset to 42 celsius) & wading pool. I’ve never been much of an onsen fan but having your own steaming onsen was a totally private and peaceful experience. There is a shuttle bus as the hotel is walking distance (albeit 25 min) to the stunning temples and shrines with a fascinating history. The hotel has a beautiful garden, little gift shop, tea room, a couple of dining areas, and is staffed by impeccably polite and patient staff. In subzero weather the immaculate room, heated floors, outdoor onsens etc were just the kind of luxury one craves for. Their kaiseki dinner in a private room was decent, but I’ve definitely had better (it was a bit rushed and not at all like high end kaiseki dinners, the entire 8 course meal was served within 90 min.) On the other hand, the Japanese breakfast felt lovely as the dining room took on a different vibe & my mood was immediately uplifted with the glow of the sun while everything else outside was coated by a layer of new snow. I am very sensitive to noise and as the hotel is hidden away brilliantly up a narrow street (close by the imperial villa) and by a small river, I found it a great place to truly unwind and would gladly come by next time.

Stayed: January 2018, traveled solo
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2018

Thank you so much for such a great review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed such a fantastic experience Japanese Ryokan. We truly pride ourselves on our hospitality and personalized service, and so it is brilliant to see that we exceeded your expectations. I'm happy that you enjoyed our beautiful winter Japanese garden, an private open‐air bath, hospitality and dining experience Japanese dishes. Your comments are appreciated and we do hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed December 23, 2017 via mobile

We have booked the deluxe suite in their aqua section. The design is modern and is very clean

The room is very spacious and the outdoor bath is very nice.

The food for the first night is just ok, nothing special. The second night was a lot better.

The front staff is very nice and accommodating.

We have also tried their oriental massage service(mostly is Shiatsu, pressure point) . I would not recommend it if you are custom to Deep Tissue or Swedish. I don’t find it relaxing nor able to relief my tight muscle over a long day of walking.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gamebebe
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa. Thank you very much for your comment and the compliments to our ryokan. Your comments are appreciated and we do hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.