Premier Hotel -CABIN- Matsumoto(Matsumoto)(Great Value!)
US$61
  • Restaurant
Hotel Buena Vista(Matsumoto)(Great Value!)
US$110
Savings alert! 30% below average rates

The price you found is 30% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$158/night.

Matsumoto Marunouchi Hotel(Matsumoto)(Great Value!)
US$124
  • Restaurant
Dormy Inn Matsumoto(Matsumoto)(Great Value!)
US$97
  • Restaurant
Richmond Hotel Matsumoto(Matsumoto)(Great Value!)
US$120
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$136/night.

Hotel New Station(Matsumoto)(Great Value!)
US$74
  • Restaurant
Alpico Plaza Hotel(Matsumoto)(Great Value!)
US$71
Savings alert! 38% below average rates

The price you found is 38% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$114/night.

Ace Inn Matsumoto(Matsumoto)(Great Value!)
US$70
Hotel Montagne Matsumoto(Matsumoto)(Great Value!)
US$62
  • Restaurant
All reviewsluxury ryokanjapanese kaisekithe club loungeshuttle buswestern breakfastjapanese style roommountain streamcd playerfood requirementsrelais chateauxstandard bedsfrench restaurantrelaxing stayjapanese guestsbefore dinnerprivate bathcool down
Reviewed 3 July 2016

For all the negative reviews this place is getting, I don't believe it is warranted. From a western perspective (United States) it probably doesn't live up to Ritz-Carlton expectations, but from a purely Japanese perspective, this is among the best rural accommodations you will find in Japan. The remote location in the Japanese Alps gives one the feeling of the busy cities and train itinerary melting away to pure relaxation. This is also an ideal hiking spot near some mountain trails, although they are a bit overgrown. If you are interested in trying an authentic Japanese Ryokan, enjoy remote locations away from people/noise, want to try something new, or just want to relax, Myojinkan should be on your list.

My wife and I stayed in Myojinkan for 3 nights, tried all meals, sampled all public baths and even had our own private bath. We stayed in the Iyashi Japanese Style room with Private Open-air Bath. The room had a minibar with sports drinks and alcohol that was pay per item. The bathroom was standard Japanese style with shower and small bathtub, which came with a razor, hair brushes, toothbrushes, q-tips, hair dryer, soap, shampoo, and conditioner. The living room doubled as a bedroom, came with a flat-screen television (which worked with Chrome cast), had English newspapers (Japan Times) delivered everyday, Wagashi (Japanese sweets) provided after room cleaning, and the futon mattresses were firm. There was extra padding for the futons in the closet that I took full advantage of. There was a side room with air conditioning and two recliners facing a large outdoor window to the Japanese rock garden and mountainside. The private bath (Rotenburo) was a Japanese Cypress tub with hot spring water. The temperature was adjustable and was a divine experience. The room also include hot water for making tea (Sencha green or Peach tea were available), a few beanbag like pillows for sitting on the floor, and a safe for storing passports/valuables.

All three of the public baths were lovely. My wife and I particularly enjoyed the deep water bath for stand-up bathing. The grand bath had both indoor and outdoor facilities, and the lay down bath was also quite pleasant. With this in mind, as a Westerner my advice would be to visit this Onsen on an off day of the week rather than a Saturday or Sunday night. We stayed Thursday to Sunday and Saturday night the population at the Onsen filled right up. The public baths were much more crowded, which isn't bad but may be uncomfortable to Westerners.

The hotel offered Japanese or Western style breakfast. Japanese was an experience. The egg plant they serve is absolutely delicious (Oishii!) and the miso soup is to die for. Flavor wise the breakfast was great, but some of the textures may not befit Western standards for breakfast. Also the size of breakfast is quite large for both, but don't feel pressured to finish everything. The Western breakfast was an elegant version of a standard western breakfast. For Japanese people, I am sure the breakfast is very special, but for Westerners like us, it was only pleasant and not exceptional.

For dinner, the options were French or Japanese Kaiseki. The French dinner was very good and represented European tastes very accurately. This is the standard elegant European dinner with 5 forks and 3-4 knives, but there was still some Japanese influence in the dishes. The Japanese dinner was very impressive. The eel (Unagi), Shinshu beef, and Lemon Crem Brulee were super good. This dinner is challenging for Westerners regarding chopsticks. The hardest thing I had to eat was a grilled baby tomato, very soft and hard to grip. Don't let this deter you though as the food is truly delicious.

On the final night (busy night) we missed out on a table with a good view and instead sat at the Chef's table. This was fine for me as I was able to view the Chef's plating the food, but my wife could only see me and the wall. They moved us to a seat with a view of the mountains once the dining room had cleared out a little bit.

Drinks with dinner were on offer including bottles of wine, sake, shochu, beer, and soft drinks/juices by the glass. The Alcohol was fairly reasonable, especially by the bottle, but the soft drinks were very high priced. I suppose I am used to the states where a Coke is $2.50 max, versus here at 600 yen... (drinks were extra beside water and tea)

A few other words for travelers seeking to visit Myojinkan, if you have food allergies, the hotel will ask you so please tell them. Also if you are allergic to stinging insects, be aware that there will be large bumble bees and wasps around the hotel in the summer and fall months. An Epi pen is strongly advised. We used a pocket Wifi we rented in Tokyo while we there so I can't comment on the internet in the lobby. Other than that, all of the staff we met in the hotel were extremely friendly even if they could barely understand us (except for the 1 person by the front desk who had very good English skills).

In summary, I would definitely go back to Myojinkan if I visit Japan again. The experience was once in a lifetime.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple
6  Thank aritthal
Reviewed 4 June 2016

We got a room with a private hot tub / bath, and it was very much worth it (though we enjoyed the public baths as well). The room was fantastic, as was the service at both restaurants. We would love to go back at some point in the future.

• Stayed: June 2016, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Relais & Chateaux
2  Thank Traveling-Foodie17
Reviewed 8 May 2016

Matsumoto was our last stop in Japan before Tokyo. We were a bit hesitant because it was quite a ways out of town, but were very happy we chose it. It was a very nice mix of Western and Japanese, more a very attractive and comfortable hotel than a ryokan (maybe 40-some rooms on several floors). We were happy with our Western style room with very nice amenities and lovely terrace with onsen. We chose French for both dinner and breakfast, and were delighted with the excellent organic and innovative meals. The staff couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Really worthwhile to get a room with a private onsen on the terrace.
  • Stayed: April 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WholeRye
Reviewed 22 April 2016 via mobile

Onsen hotel with a modern touch in the restaurant.
It is located in a lovely area with the mountains and streams. Most rejuvenating for the weary traveller. It is a little out of the way but I understand the hotel provides shuttle service to the train station.

Stayed: April 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank theworldmyoyester
Reviewed 22 April 2016

This was my first trip to Japan and staying at an onsen/ryokan was a MUST.
We had a party of 5.....so we had 2 rooms....for 2 nights.....
To get a truly "Japanese experience", I got 2 "Iyashi rooms".......Japanese tatami rooms and private onsen baths on the balcony.......It was a blast.......my wife & I loved it....You
don't need to go "down" the hall" for a soak......
We had both Japanese breakfast & Kaiseki dinners for both days......We all loved
the "pampering" of our Japanese kimono clad waitresses.....
Ex. Chef Suzuki made an elaborate Kaiser Dinner for us & I wished to thank him
personally.....within a minute...Chef Suzuki was at our table !
This onsen/ ryokan is adjacent to a national forest.......not in a town......if you want
peace and relaxation.......good food too......this is the place...$$$
It was well worth my $$$ for a wonderful onsen experience..

I would suggest a minimum of 2 nights........to truly unwind.......
The shuttle bus takes approx. 30 minutes to reach Myojinkan from Matsumoto
Train station....
I am so happy that our Japanese friend in Osaka recommended this onsen.....
A most memorable experience.....

Room Tip: Request a "Iyashi" Japanese tatami room for a true onsen experience
  • Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family