All reviews hotel lobby matsumoto station shuttle alps onsen ryokan
Reviewed 1 April 2016 via mobile

It was my first time in Japan and in my grandfather's hometown and I stayed at this ryokan. I've never been in a ryokan and I've never imagined it was so fancy, wonderful, the staff was very great too (some of the understood English), there is a mini store inside the ryokan, a nice restaurant and a wonderful Japanese style breakfast. The problem some dishes weren't not translated. There was a farmer selling some fresh products the day I was there, I forgot his name, but he was very cool. I bought from him small strawberries for ¥100. I really enjoyed my stay at this place! Oh, I stayed there in April of 2015.

Date of stay: May 2015
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank cheshirecat1980
Reviewed 9 January 2016

My wife and several of her classmates from college had a reunion at Hotel Shoho. All of us had small children except one couple. It was an excellent stay. The rooms and facilities were typical Japanese - clean and immaculate. They rooms were Japanese style with tatami mats and bed rolls which were very comfortable. Although the bathroom facilities in the room was very nice, we never used them as we went to the onsen facilities twice a day. They have a private family onset that allowed the families with really small children to use together. This is the first time we went to an onsen that the four of us in our family could use together which we liked very much.

The larger segragated onsen was even more spectacular. Large in-door and and out-door onsen that had views of the mountains. They had a large number of sit down washing stations and a few stand up showers as well. The locker room was very roomy and several amenities. There were also massage services that were reasonably priced, but we were unable to try because of our kids.

For our reunion we had a small banquet room reserved. The food was a mix of fresh sashimi, local vegetables and meats and was exceptional as well as a separate kids menu that the children also enjoyed. The servers dedicated to our room were very helpful and overall made the dinner and reunion very memorable.

There is a breakfast buffet of mostly Japanese breakfast cuisine that had a large variety of choices that all proved to be very tasty.

Lastly the view from the rooms of the mountain landscape was breath taking as was the beauty of the outside grounds.

Overall a very relaxing trip that was well worth the travel from Okinawa!

Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank 495samuele
Reviewed 27 August 2015

Spent two nights here during my visit to Matsumoto last winter. This hotel was in the area of Utsukushigahara Onsen, a huge property on the highland. It was my third choice on the hotel list for reservation and I had no luck for the first two, so it was my very first time to book a japanese style hotel room with the tatami mats...(We requested
western style rooms but they were sold out.)
Although I never really felt comfortable for sleeping on the floor, we had an enjoyable stay here. The room we got was very clean and big with japanese interior design, and, of course, you were expected to sit on the floor for your Japanese tea..
I had trouble with that as I couldn’t bend my legs that long, and fortunately two low chairs with another coffee table were available. It was designed that way for guests to sit there in front of the window to enjoy the mountain view, which was spectacular.. The alps looked so great in the very early morning...
It was separated area for dressing room and bathroom, which was very small, especially the bath tub. You have to be “small size”, other wise move around carefully in the tiny room. Interestingly, outside the bathroom there was a spacious dressing room; big enough to do exercise there.

Service was excellent. The smiling lady told us how to use the key, turn on the light; served tea for us and asked when we would like to have dinner in the restaurant. One thing I enjoyed this type of JP hotel was that the cost included breakfast and a formal dinner. The savory pepper hot tea was great for the winter and it was served in the guest room...
Another highlight here was the hot spring time before dinner and before bed time. As the hotel was on the highland and it was close to nowhere, you got lots of time to pamper yourself in the spring bath. All the public spa were nice here, yet we tried to rent the private one for about 45 minutes, with reasonable price. Relaxed and relaxed...

Dinner was not outstanding comparing with other spa hotels, but we enjoyed all the nice presentation and the artful tableware. The best part was the fruit wine ( 柚子酒) as a starter. Buffet breakfast was so and so...
I never took that many pictures in a hotel during my travel, but this one was so big and I found a lot of interesting details for photo shooting. It was well facilitated as a 5 star hotel with guest rooms in three wings, public baths, restaurants and banquet halls, several huge meeting area, shopping place, and even a chapel. Very spacious reception area with staff who managed to speak some English.

There were lots of local products and craft stuff available in the gift shop and I bought all the souvenir there so as to save time and allow myself to focus on sightseeing in Matsumokto.
Free shuffle bus was available mainly for pick up in the afternoon 16:00 and 17:00 pm and drop off from the hotel in the morning at 9am and 10am. In other words, you better arrive the Matsumoto station and wait for the shuffle that departs at 4pm or 5pm., and leave the hotel to the station in the morning at 9am or 10am.
If you miss the shuffle, you have to take the bus running between the hotel and the train station. It’ll take about 15 minutes. The bus departs from the Matsumoto Bus terminal at the station (bound for Utsukushipahara Onsen direction) and you get off at the bus stop very close to the hotel.
Anyway, taking shuffle bus was recommended.

Date of stay: November 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Amber201083
Reviewed 8 July 2015

The high point of the stay were the hot springs. I enjoyed that very much! The rooms which I shared with a friend were excellent - large and comfortable with very well appointed bath and toilet. One of the room had tatami mats and other more conventional beds. The breakfast was large and quite generous. The whole experience was quite grand!

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed 5 March 2015 via mobile

Did not stay here but came to use the hot springs.

The location was very far off though they have a shuttle bus. The hot springs seemed to be very popular as it was really crowded. But the facility was huge. One of the largest I've been too. They also have outdoor onsen pools which was a huge plus.

Date of stay: February 2015