“One of the best things I have ever eaten”

Madam Khanh - The Banh Mi Queen
Ranked #84 of 1,101 Restaurants in Hoi An
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: According to Ms Loc who is known as The Banh Mi Queen story, in the past, She sold Vietnamese Sweet Soups and then moved to sell bread for more than 60 years. In the early days of the opening, Ms Loc’s shop had no name, then a Wester after coming here to enjoy the bread, He Named the shop brand after Ms Loc’s Husband, Mr Khanh. Before she opened her bakery, she went to many famous bakeries in Hoi An to enjoy and then researched and created her own unique recipe with a signature taste. Every day, She and her family have to get up early in the morning to prepare the ingredients for the whole day business. In addition, bread is also bought at a reputable bakery in the city. it also contributes to the signature flavour of Banh Mi Madam Khanh.
Reviewed 19 September 2014

Runner up for last meal. Never made it to the Anthony bourdain recommended place. After reading the reviews that they were rude and charged different prices for foreigners, I scribbled down this address and made it my mission to try Madame Kahn, the ban mi queen. Small little place with indoor/ outdoor seating. Madame Kahn is the darling little old lady taking her time making the best food you might have ever tasted. Toasted buttery baguette, crispy veggies, spicy sauce, pate, egg, the works. It is heaven in a sandwich. We ate there twice. Each time we sat with other travelers. They had all eaten there several times, sometimes a few times a day. One dollar for the sandwich and one dollar for a cold tiger beer or an iced coffee. Right in old town, do not miss it. I don't think that it could ever be replicated sadly so enjoy.

Date of visit: September 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (2,329)

Reviewed 17 September 2014

We stopped by here for dinner. Very basic sort of place where you just eat and go - not really somewhere to linger. Neither of us really know what bahn mi is supposed to taste like but we liked what we got. Prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed 16 September 2014

I realize I am directly contradicting another reviewer here on TA but I have to say that I went to Madam Khanh and found it to be not as good as Banh Mi Phuong. Madam Khanh is a treat to recieve food from and for sure her shop is friendlier and the staff/her family warmer than Banh Mi Phuong but I'm sorry, the sandwich at Banh Mi Phuong is not to be messed with.

Reviewed 15 September 2014

The quality is so so, and if compare with the price, it's too high. The service is too slow. Disappointed and never came back.

Reviewed 15 September 2014 via mobile

We wanted banh mi for lunch and went here thinking it was a more tourist operated business. We were wrong. This place is tiny and you will miss it easily if you blink.
The food is awesome. You don't order, you just sit down and they bring you your roll. Yum! Crispy roll chock full of great stuff. When we left I looked at the ingredients and to name a few, roast pork belly, egg, pate pickled vegetable sauces etc. so good I could have had two but need to keep room for dinner.
Cost was 50 000 dong for two rolls and bottled water. Bout $1.25 each!!!
Simple food with great ingredients and flavours. Shows how boring our western food really is.