“A piece of Italy in Sri Lanka”

Ciao Restaurant & Cafe
Ranked #58 of 205 Restaurants in Negombo
Price range: US$7 - US$50
Description: We image, create & deliver extremely high quality food in accordance with the latest trend suggested by our "Nutritionists" team. We strongly believe that utilizing the fresh ingredients, high quality products (extra virgin olive oil, butter, natural cheese), local organic products (vegetables, fruits, herbs & spices) alternatives and innovative method of cooking, avoiding processed food and preco
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We popped in for a quick lunch. It didn’t end up that given it took nearly 40 minutes to serve a pasta and a gnocchi - and we were the only customers to be served.

However, the food was worth the wait, the food was excellent - some of the best Italian we’ve had. The penne with zucchini and leek sauce was cooked to perfection. And the gnocchi with four cheeses had a real bite - they are generous with Gorgonzola!

Service was ok but could be improved - they started clearing the table before one of us had finished eating - why the rush?

So a few failings but we will go back for the good food!

1  Thank Rob W

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had high hopes of a delicious Italian pasta dinner. The home-made linguine was excellent and the penne and spaghetti were cooked al dente to perfection. Unfortunately, the sauce was just horrible. The Arabiata Sauce must have come from a bottle, spiced with chilli powder. I’m a fan of fresh Arabiata, have had it in many countries and make a good one myself…this was downright shocking! The waiter fumbled the orders: he brought my husband’s Penne Arabiata and gave it to my son. That corrected, he then brought my Linguine Arabiata and gave that to my son. We all thought it was his Spaghetti Bolognaise until I tasted it. We told the waiter and he apologised and gave it to me. When we were done eating, my son’s food arrived. He, being a fan of Spaghetti Bolognaise, said this was the worst one he’s had in Sri Lanka – and he can tell you where the best ones are too! The funny thing was that the owner was in the room and noticed that the food deliveries were fumbled. The restaurant wasn’t even busy - there was only one other lady in the restaurant eating pizza, so I’m not sure how the waiter didn’t remember who had ordered what – at least he could have checked as he placed the meal before us? I had expected that the owner, having observed this fiasco, may come over to apologise. I would also have like the opportunity to tell him how disappointed we were with the meals. But we never saw him again. I’d read that there is a sign up that if you don’t like the food you don’t pay for it, but I didn’t see it, so thought we’d better eat what we had or go home hungry. We all agreed that the place has so much potential… good position, great décor, nice menu, home-made pastas, excellent coffee etc. The motivation in writing this harsh review is the hope that the owners will look into these problems, make changes and go on to do well.

Reviewed March 4, 2018 via mobile

Had an excellent meal here, I had a pasta dish and the misses went for the pizza, they were both excellent and served pipping hot. The only problem here is choosing off the extensive menu. The staff and the people that own this place are very friendly.
When you've had enough of rice and curry (or just want a change) try this place, it's spot on.

1  Thank Sleano
Reviewed February 12, 2018 via mobile

We walked past this place one night looking for a wood fired pizza. They said they did them but we weren't convinced they even understood our question.

The next day, we decided to risk it, went in and got chatting to the staff. They have an Italian and an Indian chef which is why they offer both menus.

We tried some bruschetta, pizza, and some Indian starters. All the food was fantastic so we were pleased we found such a hidden gem.

Would highly recommend for both cuisines.

1  Thank kpnut1
Reviewed January 6, 2018 via mobile

I recently became vegan and feared Italian food would be off my list in many countries but the chef here came out to meet me and chat about what I couldn't eat and he made me a vegan friendly risotto from scratch! While I was waiting I had some home made bread drizzled with olive oil - WOW! So good.

The risotto wasn't made with the proper rice but was still tasty and the sauce was delicious and creamy even without the dairy! Thank you!

1  Thank slm87