US$120
  • Breakfast included
US$76
Travelocity
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$84/night.

US$245
Amangalla(Galle)
US$550
SmithHotels.com
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$702/night.

TripAdvisor
All reviewsinfinity poolluna terraceold world charmsri lankaauthentic colonialpanna cottacolonial homeoverlooking the indian oceansouthern coastheritage hotelgalle fortantique furniturerice and curryhome away from homeprivate balconyunawatuna beachlunar
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

This is not a place suitable to be called a three star hotel and the owners certainly don't seem keen to do justice to this building and its heritage.

I do admit this place had its own old world charm, but the building and its staff should have seen better days.

I booked a two night stay but ended up running away after the first despite the up front payment not being returned. I wouldn't recommend this place even to an enemy.

The rooms carry a dusty smell in the air and are not very clean. Sheets stained and most furniture could also use a whole lot of tlc. Stray dogs wandering in the balcony and a closed reception desk at night. Dengue breeding spot which should have been checked by the health ministry long ago. When we arrived, we found cigarette butt's left behind by previous guests and water remaining in the kettle from god-knows-how-long.

The restaurant keeps is cutlery and crockery out in the open overnight to be used the nectar day for breakfast. In sure many insects and other nocturnal creatures may be roaming around these.

The tourist board really should set some ground rules for operating such heritage hotels as it tends to draw a negative impression of Sri Lanka.

Unless the management takes some serious steps to bring this place up to standard, I can surely say they will be getting less and less business over the coming days. Sad to say, but true.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

This hotel is amazing but old. The swimming pool on the beach view is great. The location next to the surf beach is so convenient. The staff is very friendly. The breakfast is very good. All the furniture are so nice but so old. The landlord have a jewel in hand.

Stayed: February 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

I stayed at Closenberg hotel with my fiance for one night to cap off our ten day holiday in Sri Lanka. After making some friends in Unawatuna, we were invited to a party at the Luna Terrace several nights before we were scheduled to stay at Closenberg and we had a great time. The music was awesome, and the terrace with infinity pool has a great view.

Our stay at Closenberg however was not so great. Expecting good service at this colonial setting was a mistake, starting from the moment we arrived at the lobby and did not receive more than a glare from the man at the front desk, who also did not offer to help with our bags until we had carried them up the steps. The rest of check-in went fine, but when we were shown to our room I found an opened packed of shampoo in our shower. The room's general cleanliness was not great, found several small bugs on the bedspread and dust in corners. My fiance took a nap and I read my book, all of the sudden I noticed a thick layer of smoke covering the large windows and a very loud noise. She woke up, and we could smell smoke coming into the room. I called the front desk and asked is everything ok, the man unapologetically replied yes they were spraying for mosquitoes and that they do this often.

Our dinner was tasty, but my fiance found a small bug in her vegetables. We had been made aware the restaurant closed at 10, and we were finishing up our meal around that time. Our waiter hovered annoyingly over our table, asking to remove a plate that still had food clearly trying to get us to leave. Once I let him clear my plate, he rushed it back to the kitchen and left, telling us he was going home without clearing the rest of our table. We saw ourselves out and went to bed.

I had read on the menu card that breakfast opened at 7, and offer a selection of American and Sri Lankan choices. At 7:30 we sat down and I order the Sri Lankan string hoppers. The same waiter from the previous night informed me the complete meal would not be ready for about another hour since the woman still needed to prepare it, no apology provided.

Now we were ready to check out, as we were getting a little annoyed with the poor service at what we thought was going to be a premier hotel experience. The credit card machine did not work, an error of communication displayed on the machine but the man told me it was because I had an intentional credit card. I successfully used my card at the previous hotel in Sri Lanka as well as at the airport afterwards, and again no apology about having to pay cash.

During our checkin we had requested a taxi to the airport, which according to Google maps was about 2 hours and 20 minutes drive from the hotel. The man had asked us to pay 50% of the fare upfront to reserve the car which I thought odd, but no worries I paid and got a receipt. Now the car arrived on time at 8:30 for our 12:30 flight, and we departed at 8:40 once we settled our bill. After riding on the highway for some time I noticed almost every vehicle was flying past us, but figured the driver must be overly cautious. After driving for 2 hours we paid a toll and the driver had a conversation with the toll booth man, apparently asking for directions to the airport, as far as I'm aware the only international airport in all of Sri Lanka. Next we drove on small side roads where he stopped two more times to ask for directions, setting us into a frenxy. We made it to the airport finally 55 minutes to departure !

The next time we're he're we are certain this would not be on the repeat list. If you want luxury and great service this would not be your jaunt.

Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

DON’T pay the full rate for this hotel! If you can get a deal from a website or your operator then it may be worth it for the situation, the pool and the fading old world charm, but it’s not worth the full rate.

Yes it looks beautiful, but it fails to deliver on so many levels. Specifically, and as well as the general run down aspect of the place

Minbar almost empty
Door to balcony won’t lock properly
Safes in both our rooms look like they haven’t worked for decades (and weren’t fixed despite a promise to do so)
Plumbing rather dodgy (one hot tap hardly worked; stains in the bath
One pillowcase could really have used a good wash (or replacement)
Dinner uninspiring and a bit pricey (but you’re LKR 300 by tuktuk from the Fort)

Try it for all the right reasons, but don’t expect too much!

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed 31 January 2018 via mobile

Overall the experience was ok, and the staff were very polite and helpful. They are excellent. No bar available during the stay which annoyed some guests. I don't feel the hotel is worth the price I paid for the stay, if the price was half then perhaps the tired fittings and rooms could be justified. Nothing appeared to have been purchased in 10 years.

Make no mistake, this hotel has seen better days. It needs to be invested in, and given the location and the building then the hotel could be an excellent stay.

For the price, I have had much better in Sri Lanka.

The crowd is definitely 55+ btw.

Stayed: January 2018, traveled as a couple