Closenberg Hotel
  • Pool
US$359
US$302
Priceline
All reviewsinfinity poolluna terraceold world charmsri lankaauthentic colonialbusy lifecolonial homepanna cottaoverlooking the indian oceangalle fortheritage hotelantique furniturefrangipani treeshome away from homewarm hospitalitysound of the wavesrice and curry
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 20, 2017 via mobile

My buddies recommended this place and when I reached the hotel I couldn't believe the location it was situated in, I felt like I walked into a Wes Anderson movie set , the hotel with its whole texture and ambiance authentically spell interesting history and legacy complimented with all modern day contemporary services & warm hospitality by the staff who had equally interesting stories to share. You can take anything off the menu and its so well made from their own organic gardens, my favourite was the Sri Lankan curry and rice - the best in town undoubtedly and the deserts, mousse & yogurt with honey is to die for.

Sipping a well made arrack sour by the lunar terrace infinity pool over looking surfers catching waves on the Devetta beach is what dreams are made of! A must stay option for anybody who goes to Galle.

Stayed: September 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed September 16, 2017

This hotel is an older hotel but the rooms are clean and have a balcony that has wonderful views of the coast. The baths needs replacing as old but the beds are comfortable and the rooms are clean. They all have a fan plus air conditioning which I like as not an air conditioner person so really dislike when no fans in rooms. The staff are great and helpful. It's an old place with character with an infinity pool that is stunning on the lower level. Worth staying at if you appreciate charm and good service.

Room Tip: Higher floors with balcony
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2017

The hotel has beautiful gardens and a great view of the beach, however there is no beach access from the hotel.
The staff were helpful and mean well, but I am afraid the standard of the bedrooms and bathrooms came as a shock. I have not stayed anywhere this bad, since I was backpacking twenty years ago! Dirty and stained, cobwebs everywhere, the rooms really need a makeover.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2017

We stayed for 10 days at Closenberg. The rooms were spacious with a private balcony over looking the bay. It was so restful to sleep with the sound of the waves at night. Our family enjoyed the infinity pool and bar where we were served delicious snacks and super chilled beer (especially the calamari, fried rice and of course French fries). Breakfast was varied and the staff were happy to provide for individual tastes. The grounds of the hotel are amazing, which my son enjoyed exploring. The local surfing beach was right on the doorstep - great for budding surfers and experts alike. Lots of delightful beaches are nearby and Galle Fort is great for eating out or souvenir shopping. All in all an excellent stay. My even better if ... improve the toiletries in the bathroom.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank DELama64
Reviewed August 15, 2017

I wanted to splurge on a luxurious stay for once and unfortunately for me I chose the Closenberg. I booked 3 weeks in advance and reached the room to find dirty towels, broken kettle and broken telephone. The layer of dust on the door made it seem like no one had cleaned it in a year! The curtains had some red stains on them and I don't even want to know what it was.

I insisted they clean the room again and for that I had to leave and get out. Not ideal since I had been travelling since 8 a.m. It was now 3 p.m. You would think the least they could do would be arrange some transport to take me to the fort area but no, they only got a tuktuk. The manager was rude and asked me 'what can I do'! I told him he only had to provide me the service I had already paid for well in advance!

A terrible experience. I will be back in Sri Lanka and galle many times but never again will I stay here!

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled solo