“Great food but watch the price...”
Review of One Eyed Jack

One Eyed Jack
Ranked #106 of 1,284 Restaurants in Denpasar
Price range: US$10 - US$24
Description: One Eyed Jack is a modern Japanese Izakaya + Sake Bar Near Berawa Beach, Before Legong Keraton Hotel and Finn's Beach Club
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

If you are after fantastic food, One Eyed Jack is a good bet. If you’re looking to spend less than $30 and feel full, One Eyed Jack is not the place for you. Food serving size is tiny but with a large price tag. In saying that, we had the best tempura rock prawn we’ve ever had and the sashimi was A++. Cocktails were also delicious. The service was good, the girls work hard. But the men all seemed to stand around and make one hell of a noise. The restaurant wasn’t busy so maybe we can blame low season but by golly it was hard to hear the person you were eating with while the men laughed, yelled and drank behind the bar instead of doing something more productive.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Ate here after the good reviews on TA. The food tasted nice but the portion size was ridiculously small. The menu has a section called “Small Bites” but I think the owners have a different version of what small is! The prices are not cheap, and we left feeling hungry. Yes we could have ordered more, but after feeling “ripped off” at what was provided, you have to call it quits and cut your losses. One skewer of chicken with 3 small bite size pieces, was $3.00 and came with one lemon wedge. Obviously someone is using the tourists here to make some huge profits. Left and went across the road to Vietnamese, where 2 Pho soups cost less than 1 chicken skewer. If you are dieting and have money to throw away, then One Eyed jacks is the place to go.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Another recommendation - another gem experienced.

One of the cultural experiences that I never get tired of is the welcome that diners receive when entering a Japanese restaurant. In a staggered chorus, everyone from the service staff, to the chefs, will look up and shout, "Irasshaimase!", meaning "Welcome to the store!", or "Come on in!" And the team at One Eyed Jack's do it well!

It's my last night in Bali, and I'm prepared to spend a little extra and treat myself. Happy Days! - it's Happy Hour when I arrive around 6:30pm. Thanks - I'll have two San Miguel Pale Ale's for the price of one (Rp50k).
If you want to eat more cheaply, then include one the bowl options, as they will probably be more filling. However, I love to try as many dishes as possible when I dine out, so small plates and tapa style portions suit me fine, and Japanese cuisine is full of such options. The menu is divided into sections: Bites/Tacos/Raw/Bao/Small Plates/Yakitori & Bowls. I manage to down 7 plates on my own, plus 4 bottles of beer (seems rude not to at Happy Hour prices). Each dish is simply presented - without unnecessary garnishes, and flavours are delicately balanced. I savour each mouthful, and take in the casual vibe of the room.

The decor is chic Japanese, with lots of interesting photos adorning the walls. The ones near the bathroom entrance feature elaborate yakuza tattoos, which I think most people find fascinating. There is a polished concrete bar that runs almost full length of the room, and allows you to sit and chat with some of the staff while they prepare dishes. You can also look into the kitchen and observe food on the chargrill. The staff are all very pleasant, and accommodating. When I booked online, I enquired about coming in before the earliest available time slot at 6:30, and I received a prompt reply welcoming me to come in earlier if I wished to.

So my 7 dishes, and 4 beers at half price come to Rp591k (AUS$56), which I think is great value for a really tremendous night out. Hard to see you being disappointed by this place, so get yourselves along there and enjoy the experience!

1  Thank Reece B
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

The food was really good. Would specifically recommend the soft crap and shrimp tempora. The tempora is so addictive, we called it cocaine popcorn.

It is pricey for the area, particularly for wine. Overall, would highly recommend as a great alternative to local/western cuisine.

1  Thank Mark L
Reviewed 19 March 2018

Excellent Japanese dishes served from an open kitchen in small plates, tapas style. We really enjoyed trying different dishes; all fresh, tasty and well presented. The food arrived fairly quickly and there were lots of people coming in for a fast meal after a day surfing. The restaurant is lively with staff shouting greetings and high background noise level. I wouldn't come here for a romantic dinner but would definitely go for the food.

1  Thank Jackie D