All reviews dolphin restaurant rooftop restaurant the river guest house no elevator excellent location hot water main ghat every evening holy city narrow lanes airport pickup your luggage ganga aarti an oasis guide palace
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

This is a guest house not a hotel so not the luxuries some westerners would expect.

Lots of stairs so not suitable for old people.

Having said that it is a very nice place to stay with great, friendly staff who are eager to help and always have a warm greeting.

Located right near the main Ghats and on the river.

Can be a little noisy with idiots playing techo indian music first thing in the morning.

Would recommend but not for everyone.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Location:
Hotel was kind enough to send their boys to pick us from the main road & carry our luggage though.
The hotel is located on Manmandir Ghat, next to Dasashwamedh Ghat where the famed Ganga Aarti is performed in the evening.
The Gate No. 1 of Kashi Vishwanath Temple is nearly 800m from the hotel & one has to pass through extremely dirty & narrow lanes.

Room:
I had booked their Super Deluxe room which had a large window facing river Ganges. The view was however blocked by a tree.
Wi-fi in room was very slow. I managed with my 4G.
Bed & mattress wasn’t very comfortable.
Bed linen wasn’t very clean. Duvet was very dusty.
There wasn’t any shelf or provision to keep our suitcases.
There’s a wardrobe though with hangers of the worst quality I have ever seen.
They didn’t even provide a chair in the room.
The window a/c in the room made so much noise that I couldn’t sleep during my whole stay. It sounded like a road roller. Though it was serviced after my complaint, the loud noise remained. Worse, though the a/c was set to 19deg, the room was never cool enough.

Bathroom:
The bathroom was extremely congested at 8ft x 4ft. The commode was very dirty & stained. They didn’t even provide a health faucet, which is basic!!!
There were insects & cockroaches in the bathroom.
Towels weren’t clean.
Our bathroom & the neighbours bathroom had a common wall with a huge grilled opening on the top. Yuck!!!

Housekeeping:
They only changed towels & pillow covers during my 3 night stay.
Floor was never sweeped or mopped throughout our stay.

Restaurant:
Complimentary breakfast was provided in Dolphin restaurant. The food wasn’t tasty & especially the Indian breakfast was very oily. BEWARE Of their South Indian food. It’s plain horrible. Service was extremely slow & they invariably took 30-45 to serve anything.
Ala-carte menu was very expensive & unreasonable. Preferred eating outside.
Staff: Most of the hotel staff are very good, courteous & helpful, especially Mr. Varma from the front office.

RIP OFF: At around 7080₹(US$106)/Night, including taxes, for the room that I paid, it was unworthy. I felt robbed.
Above all, the front office gave me a hand written amount on a piece of paper to claim payment. Even after I insisted they didn’t give me an invoice for my stay & I had to be satisfied with a cash receipt even though I was charged ₹3240 as taxes.
What the heck is this???

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
7  Thank SivakumarSreedharan
rameshverma1973, Manager at A Palace on the River, Rashmi Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Not agree at all !!! Varanasi is famous fr its narrow lanes . The answer to all that have been posted by our valued travellers are mentioned underneath in chronological order
Location:
Hotel is nearly 1km away from the main road & there is no access for cars, autos. You have no option but to walk all the way. Very unsuitable for the elderly, family with infants or handicapped.----As our hotel is located right on the bank of Ganges . it is not accessible by 4 wheelers . It is approx 07 minutes walking distance from the parking point
The route is extremely crowded & winding through narrow by-lanes. It’s very dirty with people spitting all over + human, dog & cow excreta all through.----- Sometime is surely crowded . As this lane goes to the the famous kashi Vishvanath temple and the important ghatt of Varanasi , it becomes crowded at times .

Room:
The room is around 14ft x 8ft, which was too congested for two of us. There’s a refrigerator in the room & we were provided two 500ml bottles of mineral water a day & 2 cokes. This is completely complimentry

Wi-fi in room was very slow. I managed with my 4G.---you never complained fr the same . Everyone else iin the hotel were using the same and were completely satisfied with our vodafone wifee.
Bed & mattress wasn’t very comfortable.. You stayed for 03 nights and did not intimate the same to us . It was never reported us us during your stay
Bed linen wasn’t very clean. Duvet was very dusty.. I promise the linen to be of the best standard
A stained water kettle was provided with an opened packet of milk powder which we never used.-- we always supply packed one
There wasn’t any shelf or provision to keep our suitcases.. We d have the provisions for the same
There’s a wardrobe though with hangers of the worst quality I have ever seen.. As the hangers are antique ,you must not have seen ever
They didn’t even provide a chair in the room..We provided 02 extra chairs in the room on his demand
The in-room safe wasn’t even secured either in the wall or on the shelf. Defeats the purpose!. It is highly secured with the automatic numbers.
It is self explanatory when we sent the porter in your room , you asked for the blanket
Bathroom:
There were insects & cockroaches in the bathroom.
Towels weren’t clean.

Housekeeping:
They only changed towels & pillow covers during my 3 night stay.
Floor was never sweeped or mopped throughout our stay.

Restaurant:
Ala-carte menu was very expensive & unreasonable. Preferred eating outside - It is quite reasonable keeping in view of the standard

What the heck is this??-- the taxes were charged as per their booking with booking.com .As per receipt , they paid us through card . I did tell him to privi9e the receipt of the same same as soon as the same gets realized in our account
Your name will display as
rameshverma1973
Your business role
Select one
TripAdvisorknow better book better go better

Reviewed 9 March 2018

The hotel rooms are ok: hot shower, comfortable beds and breakfast are very good at Dolphin Restaurant. Rooms are clean, with AC and fan.
This is for sure one of the best options in front of the Ganges River

Room tip: Ask for one with a River Ganges View
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
rameshverma1973, Manager at A Palace on the River, Rashmi Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2018

Thanks for the appraisal . Hoping to see you once again in Varanasi . Looking forward to have more and more recommendation on your part.

Reviewed 19 February 2018

If you are coming to Varanasi you want to LOCATION.. This place has it.. With that location comes with having to deal with noise so if you are a light sleeper this may not be the place for you as your are able to hear many of the ritual celebrations from your room..

This hotel is incredibly clean.. I usually come prepared with my own option for a not so clean room and I walked and knew that was not required here..

We did have a few hiccups some of them were hotel related some not so do not want to completely make them accountable.. I will say though.. For the 2 nights I was there I did not have hot water... Now one can add it to the category of travelling to India... However thought it may be helpful to know..

Room tip: Amazing Location...
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
rameshverma1973, Manager at A Palace on the River, Rashmi Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2018

Thanks for your post and admiring the hotel location , cleanliness and its hygienic standard . So for as the hot water is concerned, we do have the 24 hours generator back up so that one can get the continuous running hot water round the clock .Secondly it is not the rituals noise, It is just the prayer what happens half and hour in the morning as well as in the evening . Any way we shall be trying our level best to overcome all these hindrance. Looking forward to see you once again in Rashmi Guest House .

Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

As the Hotel gave us a great room with a fantastic view over the Ganges river, we had a great stay.

It was clean and the Service/Team of the Hotel was very good. We really enjoyed our stay and a big thank you to the Hotel for this great room.

The Dolphin Restaurant served the breakfast and due to the nice rooftop Level with a nice view, it was also really nice.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
rameshverma1973, Manager at A Palace on the River, Rashmi Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

Million thanks for your above post . Looking forward to see you once again .