See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed 28 June 2015

After staying here four nights, I feel like there are some core management issues at this hotel.

One of the main issue is that there is no one “on duty” at the hotel until 12PM. That is a long time to have the hotel run on auto pilot, especially if you don’t inform the guests that this is happening. It’s very confusing to the guest since they don’t know what the situation is.

Case in point: I arrived around 11:45 AM on a weekday and no one was at front desk - however, a surly lady was in the lobby swing ( I think a friend of someone who worked there). She sat there and ignored me while I waited for awhile for someone to show up and but had a running commentary on what was going on, like how I was too early- not really what I wanted after traveling a long time. Also, I feel like 11:45 was not early.

This kept happening in the morning. There would be random people in the “lobby" (which is very small), who knew people who worked at the hotel - a teenager playing video games, the surly lady again, a napping child. This can be confusing a for guests who usually have questions about *something* or may be checking out and are unsure who works there.

Related to this was breakfast. According to what I paid, breakfast was included. However, 3 out of 4 days I did not receive any breakfast. And for two of those days, I was around the hotel all morning. I believe the cleaning lady is supposed to make breakfast, but she seemed completely clueless and unhelpful- and no breakfast happened. On my last day, I requested breakfast the night before to be at 7:15AM because I was flying out. The nice receptionist lady (who works from approximately 12-8PM) said that wouldn’t be a problem. Well, at 7:20, no one had even shown up to the hotel, much less started breakfast. That kind of thing is really annoying for travelers since 1) we paid for breakfast 2) we need to plan to get something to eat, and now we wasted time waiting for breakfast.

So don’t plan on having help if you leave the hotel early in the day - plan to hail a cab on your own and leave the key on the desk.

Also, you probably should not plan to arrive before noon.

What also upset me, is upon check-in, there was a problem with the keys. They had one copy, but it seems a guest had left for awhile with the other copy. So even though I arrived around 11:45AM, they made me wait until 3PM to check in to my room. They unlocked the room and I put my backpack in, but they said to come back at 3PM. Why I couldn’t have taken the key they had, I don’t know. But walking around Cartegena from 1-3PM is no easy feat when you’ve been up since wee hours of the morning and it’s really, really hot outside.

Out of four days, the wifi didn’t work one entire day and part of another day. The cable only worked one day (not that I was planning on watching TV, but it was broken or not setup properly).

The first morning I was awoken before 9AM with hammering on the wall adjacent to my head.

The cleaning lady was also really noisy when cleaning the room next to mine (and was in there for hours), yelling to people in the hallway, letting the doors bang, playing music, and banging stuff around. For hours. I think her and some other people were actually hanging out in the room.

I started to feel like a unwanted guest in someone else’s house.

The bedside lamps did not work in my room I stayed in for 3 nights.

The plug in the larger room I stayed in made a popping noise, and a spark of electricity came out when I plugged in my computer. It looked very iffy.

There are some good things about this hotel. The reception staff, when they are there, are insanely nice and welcoming. They do their best to get to know you, and make you happy. It is clear though that they don’t have a lot of management support.

The balconies are nice. The location is good as well.

The rooms are mostly cute, however, I stayed in a large room and there were a few ugly things in it - an outdated stationary bicycle, and a large ugly refrigerator. This gave me the feeling that people were tossing their leftover household items here instead of actually buying pieces of furniture that went with the decor of the hotel.

I would probably stay here again since the receptionists were so nice, but if you want to spend a little more you can probably get a lot better hotel room.

• Stayed: June 2015, traveled solo
1  Thank stacybryan
Reviewed 20 January 2015

I stayed there for 2 nights in the dorm back in March 2013. The dorm may seem very basic and the hostel lacks a common area for guests to hang out with each other. However my dorm has a tiny balcony where I can sit, chill, drink, and people watch. Because of that it was a very relaxing stay for me and a few girls that I met in this hostel. Never noisy and always chilled. Centrally located.

Also, very helpful staff to help me ordering a taxi at 4am to the airport. I really can't complain about this hostel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed 4 July 2014

For just a few extra bucks you can get the best room in the hotel, which is sort of like a normal hotel room; and very luxurious if you're used to hostels like me. The bed was comfortable and the balcony is a big bonus. The place is clean, and the AC works.

The best thing about my stay here was the good service by owner and Christian at the concierge. They were very helpful with giving directions, negotiating with taxis, and general tips on places to go/things to see.

The price is very reasonable, and you can't beat the location. I recommend it!

Room Tip: Go with the suite.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WallaceRicardo
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The bathroom is dirty, roaches crawling on the floor. In the middle of the night our toilet started gushing water and flooded our room. Then our electricity went out. We spoke to the owner, who blamed all of these things on the city. Not once did she apologize or try to make our stay more comfortable. After all this we got our laundry and all of our white clothes were ruined. Overall this was a horrible experience. We have slept in hammocks in national parks and other hostels, and nothing has ever been this bad. It sounds like staying in a private room is a good idea. The only good thing about this hostel is the location.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Bijouluv520
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The hostel has a great location, good beds, but the dorm room is very makeshift. The bathroom is dirty, and there is no shower head, so there is just a stream of water coming out of the wall. The dormitory also seems unsafe as it is outside the main building. there isn't really any communal space either.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo