“A Wealth of Information and Genuinely a Lovely Person”

Claudia Vidal - Private Tour Guide
Ranked #43 of 128 Tours in Cartagena
Reviewed 15 April 2017

My husband and I were recently on a cruise that stopped in Cartagena overnight. We had been to Cartagena a few years back and had Claudia as our tour guide and knew we wanted her again. This time we were selfish and didn't go as a part of a larger group but had Claudia to ourselves both for the night tour and then the next day for the day tour. You will be hard pressed to find anyone who has more knowledge of this beautiful city and it's history than Claudia. She took us through the old walled city and it was like walking with a friend you had known forever. We even did a bit of shopping together and went into a church while a wedding was taking place. So much fun. We consider ourselves very fortunate to have had Claudia for both tours as she is sought after and very popular. It was the highlight of our trip. Ask her about a children's book she has written on the history of Cartagena. We went into one of the stores and found one. She was very gracious to sign it for us and we will share it with our grandchildren. I could tell you all of the places we saw but any tour guide will show you the same sights. It's the way you see the sights and the stories behind them that make the difference. Claudia, you were a gem and we enjoyed every minute. Thank you so very much.

3  Thank Love2CruiseToronto
All reviews
"emerald museum"
in 11 reviews
"the cruise ship terminal"
in 3 reviews
"pier"
"souvenirs"
"spanish"

Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

I was given Claudia's name from a friend who had visited Cartegena a year ago and had a great tour. I was on a cruise that stopped in Cartegena and wanted to do a private tour as we were traveling with a group of friends. I contacted Claudia via email and we made arrangements for our tour. Her directions to meet the guide at the cruise ship terminal were easy.

Our guide spoke English and Spanish proficiently. She was knowledgeable about all of the sites we visited, patiently answered many questions from our group and gave us the perfect tour of Cartegena!! We all left absolutely thrilled by our tour and day in that beautiful city.

On behalf of my group of ten, we all concur Claudia is a five star operation. Thank you for such a wonderful experience!

1  Thank Dana M
Reviewed 6 January 2017

Based on solid TripAdvisor and CruiseCritic reviews, I contacted Claudia in early October as I was planning private excursions for our Panama Canal cruise in late November / early December. She immediately responded to my email and we were able to negotiate a reasonable rate for a Cartagena city tour. She also sent me a detailed itinerary including the sights we could see during our short port call.

We met as planned at the pier and immediately drove up to the monastery. This was the perfect way to start the day as we beat all of the tour groups and thus had the place to ourselves the entire time. Also it offers a fantastic view of the city. Next we stopped at the fortress where we learned about the history but did not have time to go inside. Once we entered the walls we took a few minutes to shop the arcade for some souvenirs and then had a nice walking tour through the old town. Then we went inside the Emerald Museum, which I wasn't really keen on visiting but it turned out to be a welcome respite from the heat and the sales people were not too pushy. We continued walking to San Pedro Claver church & museum where we learned about its' history. Then we finished up the walking tour outside the naval museum. Unfortunately there was heavy traffic which prevented us from going out to see the new/modern part of the city where all the high rises are. But I did enjoy driving through Getsemani neighborhood and also seeing some of the ornate old homes near the port.

Claudia was an excellent guide and we thoroughly enjoyed our time with her. The tour was a great overview of Cartagena and, given the limited amount of time we had in port, we saw a lot. Note that one of our family members walks with a cane and this tour was a bit of a challenge for him due to the uneven sidewalks, cobblestones, and long time on our feet in old town. So just keep that in mind if you are planning a similar excursion in Cartagena.

3  Thank nycflygirl
Reviewed 28 September 2016

I had one day in Colombia. I was in Barranquilla. I did not know about Claudia - found her on the internet. She was the best bargain in Colombia! We spent 3-4 hours talking. We walked and I learned so much about the city. If you know Claudia, you know her passion for history. She also knows the best places to get some coffee and she enjoys fellow ship. He command of English is excellent. She assisted me in safety and securing proper seating on the city wide double deck bus. If I ever return I will look up Claudia - not only as my personal professional guide, but as my kindred spirit with love for history and the people that made it. Thank you so much Claudia.

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 February 2016

What a fantastic tour! I was in charge of a family tour of seven. Another guide I had used previously in Cartagena was not available. I found Claudia and we all had a wonderful day.
There was a lot of traffic and the driver Claudia used negotiated the traffic in an expert manner. Claudia was informative, interesting and a really great person. She pointed out historical points of interested; she avoided the most crowded places and tailored the tour to what interested us. At the conclusion of the tour she provided each family with a video of the highlights of the tour.
One of the group left his cell phone on the vehicle. Claudia went out of her way to work with us in getting the cell phone returned which was no small task. The ship had left by the time we were able to contact her. Arrangements were made for her to bring the cell phone to the ship's agent who then turned it over to personnel from the ship when the ship next arrived in port. The personnel on the ship turned it over to cruise line authorities who then returned it to the owner. He got it back in about 60 days.
When next I am in Cartagena I will use Claudia. She is knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, interesting and a darn nice person!