“A excellent resource for visiting Cartagena”

Claudia Vidal - Private Tour Guide
Ranked #44 of 143 Tours in Cartagena
Reviewed 6 January 2017

Based on solid TripAdvisor and CruiseCritic reviews, I contacted Claudia in early October as I was planning private excursions for our Panama Canal cruise in late November / early December. She immediately responded to my email and we were able to negotiate a reasonable rate for a Cartagena city tour. She also sent me a detailed itinerary including the sights we could see during our short port call.

We met as planned at the pier and immediately drove up to the monastery. This was the perfect way to start the day as we beat all of the tour groups and thus had the place to ourselves the entire time. Also it offers a fantastic view of the city. Next we stopped at the fortress where we learned about the history but did not have time to go inside. Once we entered the walls we took a few minutes to shop the arcade for some souvenirs and then had a nice walking tour through the old town. Then we went inside the Emerald Museum, which I wasn't really keen on visiting but it turned out to be a welcome respite from the heat and the sales people were not too pushy. We continued walking to San Pedro Claver church & museum where we learned about its' history. Then we finished up the walking tour outside the naval museum. Unfortunately there was heavy traffic which prevented us from going out to see the new/modern part of the city where all the high rises are. But I did enjoy driving through Getsemani neighborhood and also seeing some of the ornate old homes near the port.

Claudia was an excellent guide and we thoroughly enjoyed our time with her. The tour was a great overview of Cartagena and, given the limited amount of time we had in port, we saw a lot. Note that one of our family members walks with a cane and this tour was a bit of a challenge for him due to the uneven sidewalks, cobblestones, and long time on our feet in old town. So just keep that in mind if you are planning a similar excursion in Cartagena.

3  Thank nycflygirl
All reviews
"the cruise ship terminal"
in 3 reviews
in 4 reviews
"spanish"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 28 September 2016

I had one day in Colombia. I was in Barranquilla. I did not know about Claudia - found her on the internet. She was the best bargain in Colombia! We spent 3-4 hours talking. We walked and I learned so much about the city. If you know Claudia, you know her passion for history. She also knows the best places to get some coffee and she enjoys fellow ship. He command of English is excellent. She assisted me in safety and securing proper seating on the city wide double deck bus. If I ever return I will look up Claudia - not only as my personal professional guide, but as my kindred spirit with love for history and the people that made it. Thank you so much Claudia.

Reviewed 1 February 2016

What a fantastic tour! I was in charge of a family tour of seven. Another guide I had used previously in Cartagena was not available. I found Claudia and we all had a wonderful day.
There was a lot of traffic and the driver Claudia used negotiated the traffic in an expert manner. Claudia was informative, interesting and a really great person. She pointed out historical points of interested; she avoided the most crowded places and tailored the tour to what interested us. At the conclusion of the tour she provided each family with a video of the highlights of the tour.
One of the group left his cell phone on the vehicle. Claudia went out of her way to work with us in getting the cell phone returned which was no small task. The ship had left by the time we were able to contact her. Arrangements were made for her to bring the cell phone to the ship's agent who then turned it over to personnel from the ship when the ship next arrived in port. The personnel on the ship turned it over to cruise line authorities who then returned it to the owner. He got it back in about 60 days.
When next I am in Cartagena I will use Claudia. She is knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, interesting and a darn nice person!

Reviewed 12 January 2016

Claudia was terrific. We had a delayed start due to confusion about the meeting point but otherwise the tour was excellent. Claudia had a wealth of knowledge of Cartagena and gave us an overview tour of the old and new cities. She had a good, careful driver so was not distracted by traffic or finding somewhere to park.
I would thoroughly recommend her.

2  Thank Jill L
See more reviews
Reviewed 9 January 2016

We booked a private tour directly with Claudia many months in advance of the date, and assumed the tour would be with her, however when we arrived at the dock, she briefly greeted us, not even able to look directly at us, and made a hurried introduction to our "tour guide" a very old man named Willie whose command of English was basic at best. First stop was to the fort, where we stayed about two minutes. He mumbled something about the history, but we actually learned more from another tour guide with a large group there. Then Willie took us to the 'craft market' but we didn't want to go inside, thinking we were going to get a tour. We followed him through some deserted streets, walking at the pace of a tortoise behind him, all the time he didn't say anything, other than to point out a wall painting of some slave, again mumbled so we couldn't understand. No water was provided in the van, so we asked to be able to buy some, and he did that for us, as well as taking us to fruit vendors and an empanada vendor.
At no time did we learn anything, never went in a building except when he tried to take us to the emerald"museum" which is just a jewellery store. That was it, 3 hours total waste of time and money. So much for the architectural custom tour of Cartegena!
Claudia Vidal's website is slick, but if you want her for a tour guide make sure you get it in writing. I would not recommend using her, very unprofessional outfit.

9  Thank xenabelle