“good day trip”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$69.00*
and up
All Inclusive Private Day Tour to Tianchi...
Ranked #2 of 92 things to do in Urumqi
More attraction details
Owner description: Formerly known as Yaochi (Jade Lake), it is guarded by the stately peaks and offers a spectacular sight.
Reviewed 15 November 2017

This makes for a very good day trip from Urumqi. It just is a bit of a drive so really is an all day kind of thing to enjoy. Picnic lunch to enjoy while gazing at the lake is what I suggest.

All reviews
"place is beautiful"
"blue water"
"mountain top"

Reviewed 6 November 2017

The heavenly lake wasn't part of my original itinerary but since we arrived late October and snow had started falling in the region. Some roads have been closed. Our guide told us bayanbulak grasslands by winter is closed due to dangerous road conditions.

In any case, going to the heavenly lake took 2 hours. Then we bought our tickets and road the bus up for another 30 minutes or so. Then you can either ride a smaller bus or walk to the lake itself. It was a short distance only anyway so we walked.

The view was nice. Typical alpine lake I suppose. Other things to do there is to go to a nearby waterfall that would take an hour or so to walk to and to go to the temple, which would take 2 hours as our guide said. We opted for the short boat ride instead and after, we ate lunch at one of the yurts. Throughout our entire trip from Xi'an to Urumqi, the roasted rack of lamb served to us there was the best. Even better than the whole roasted lamb and kebabs we tasted in the other cities.

We were lucky there weren't too much tourists on our chosen day but it was still a significant amount of people. Typical I guess for China and their mass tourism focused style.

1  Thank wt1986
Reviewed 1 November 2017

Yes the narrow road to Heavenly Lake is very scenic, and yes the lake is very beautiful, but there are 30,000 to 40,000 tourists a day coming to view the lake with you. The area is too commercial and way to crowded to make the trip worth while.

Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

A very scenic place to visit especially if the sun is shining and it snowed the previous night. The boat trip in a very kitsch Sampan style of vessel gives a closer view of some of the temples which unfortunately we had too little time to visit.
A worthwhile side trip.

See more reviews
Reviewed 16 October 2017

40,000 tourists with selfie sticks come here a day. you arrive following at least a 2.5 hr drive from urumqi. You walk around, get on many shuttle buses here and there, see a lake, it's nice...... But it's not so relaxing with the 40,000 tourists, and then the 2.5 hr drive to Urumqi. The guy that sat next to me on the bus was so inspired by the road he took photos of every bend. I thought, has it come to this? are you so bored. I was through with Touristic sites in China after this. In a comical moment in the toilets at this site as i unlocked my toilet door to leave, she was in such a hurry to get in that she didn't wait for me to get out and it seemed unclear to her that I needed her to leave the stall for me to be able to exit. Frankly I wouldn't bother. I suggest lying on a pool lounger in a 5 star hotel, getting a pedicure and locating the first plane out of there.