Bestel Hotel(Xiamen)
US$41
US$37
Hotwire.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsconvention centernice hotelclean roomsshort walkbusiness tripthe hotel staffexhibitionchinesechinafacilitiestoilet
Reviewed May 20, 2015

We stayed at the Nikko in December 2014 and again in January 2015. Only issue was the pool was closed for maintenance and the wonderful staff at the Nikko upgraded us to a superior room as compensation. We loved the location, great staff, we ate at all the restaurants and the Japanese chef is fantastic. Rooms are large, views great, hire a bike and ride along the beach road. Close to the beach, transport, and restaurants.
Prices we found very acceptable and would recommend this hotel to anyone.
There is staff on site that can speak English.

Room Tip: Pick a room above 5th floor on the ocean side
  • Stayed: December 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank James F
NikkoXiamen, General Manager at Hotel Nikko Xiamen, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2015

Dear JamesF907,

Greetings.

Thank you for choosing us for your visit to Xiamen and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor! We are glad you enjoyed the comfort and service of our hotel. HR will do more English training to our staff to serve our guests better.

We hope to welcome you back to enjoy our services again in the near future.

Regards!

Reviewed January 22, 2015

This hotel has very good facilities and the rooms are very comfortable. It's ideally placed if you need to be in the eastern part of the city near the exhibition centre, rather than the city centre. It's 10 minutes walk from the esplanade along the shore. The pool is good. My one criticism is that very few of the staff speak much English. I tried to book a meeting room to see colleagues but it proved too complicated. It's a pity because as whole, the hotel offers very good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2015, traveled on business
NikkoXiamen, General Manager at Hotel Nikko Xiamen, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2015

Dear 28Elwyn,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing Hotel Nikko Xiamen as your home in Xiamen.

We have taken note of your feedback which will definitely help us on future plans for training.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Best regards!

Reviewed January 21, 2015

The rooms are ample and big. The furnishings are modern and clean design. I like the pale color neutrals which make the rooms seem light and airy. The bed and linens are soft to touch and very comfortable. I had a distant view of the water being on a high floor which was beautiful at sunrise. While there is a nice balcony with a couple of chairs and a table, I didn't get a chance to hang out. I will say the soaking tub has that same sunrise view and I was awake and in the water to see it. It is a stellar way to greet the day. I can think of no better.
The staff at check in and check out both were through and professional. I negotiated breakfast to be included which was very nice to see the spread which has everything you could want. I found the bacon to be almost raw and sent it back three times to make it cooked or even crispy. It came back like a wet noodle each time, so if the hotel reads this, they may eventually learn some people like it cooked or even crispy/well done. Perhaps they don't use much this way . . . nobody wants it. In addition, coffee or refills is an issue, but who am I to sit on some high horse, they just need to figure out people like to drink a cup and perhaps a second cup.
I will come back here often, as "All-in-All" it is a great experience. Try it for business or bring your family !

Room Tip: I liked a high floor with an over the rooftop view of the water and bright and sunny. The hotel is also a 5 minute walk to the convention center so very convenient if that is your reason for a visit
  • Stayed: January 2015, traveled on business
NikkoXiamen, General Manager at Hotel Nikko Xiamen, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2015

Dear Read W,

I am delighted that you had enjoyed the stay and more importantly the friendly service and beautiful sea view in which we take great pride in delivering to our guests. Watching the mesmerizing sunrise view from the guest room while having the bath in the water sounds like a great way to enjoy the stay!

Thank you for your constructive feedback of the breakfast which will definitely help us on serving different cooking style for our guests.

I am so glad that you will come back again. It will be our pleasure to offer you a delightful stay on your next visit.

Best regards!

Reviewed November 23, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel for more than 1 month. It's really a great hotel and valuable. The staff are very nice, they greeted me and called my name every time.
First, the price was reasonable. Compared to other hotels in the city center, it was cheap.
Second, the room was big with beautiful sea view. The wash room was big, the washlet was in the other space on the opposite side. Good detail. There was a tea set in the room, but I didn't know how to use it.
I liked the Chinese restaurant. Well tasted.
The location was nearby the beach. Spend 10 minutes walked to the beach. Very close the exhibition center and convenient for those people attend the meeting.

Room Tip: sea view room on the high floors
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
NikkoXiamen, General Manager at Hotel Nikko Xiamen, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2014

Dear E A,

Greetings.

We hope to welcome you back to enjoy our services again in the near future.

Regards!

Reviewed November 18, 2014

I must admit that the "average" rating is made on the basis of "international standard". In the context of China, the hotel can be rated "very good". Nevertheless, this is Nikko group and I had great expectation to the service and details.

Let's talk about the good things first. It is a value for money choice for a 5-start hotel in China. I booked in booking.com and it charged me about 600RMB incl 15% service charge. It was far more reasonable than those big brands in the city.

Check-in was efficient. I speak Chinese so I cannot comment on the previous review on the staff's language ability. Front desk attitude was just fine. I don't expect Concierge to be very friendly and helpful if I put myself in the context of China so it's ok to me. And if they are, you get a bonus.

Location is perfect. You can walk to the seaside in 15 mins and there are many places to eat around. Go to Qian Pu (前埔) which takes around 10-min talk or just pay 1 RMB for a bus ride and you can taste what local people eat. There are no menus in English though but Xiamen people are friendly so don't hesitate to try.

Room is BIG. This is the biggest room I have stayed for its rate. It even had a walk-in wardrobe, separate washroom and bathroom (yes in two different rooms) and a balcony! The balcony had windows so you can still enjoy some sunlight when it's in autumn with them closed. The bathtub was full-sized and was bigger than most of those in Japan.

To the down side. Similar to many other 5-star hotel I stayed in China, Nikko Xiamen does need to pay more attention to details for its brand. They have good hardware and decoration but those little things can make a hotel worth the brand, or the opposite.

There is sink in the separated washroom. It was a good design so that you don't need to walk to the opposite bathroom and use the sink. But the point is, there is no soap in the washroom. The only soap is in the bathroom. This is a very little detail but they can find out if they walk on the guest's shoes.

There are separated light switches for the washroom and bathroom. BUT they are linked. Weird. That means if you turn on the washroom's light, the bathroom's light will be turned on too, and the same if you turn it off. Remember they are in 2 separated rooms. Again it's about the system setting so I guess it wouldn't be a major problem if they make it correctly.

The rainforest shower will not turn off to the normal shower after use. You need to pay attention not to get cold water sprayed on you on next use, or if you just want to wash your feet by the normal shower :D

Wifi is free of charge (which is not a must in China) but the signal is mostly good only when you are in the bathroom or wardrobe. It goes weak when you are on the bed or balcony. It could be improved.

Balcony doors to the room is not perfectly sealed. Sometimes wind could sneak in even when the windows were closed and the noise was disturbing. Some maintenance could be done to avoid this.

The magnet on the minibar door is lost can't be closed tightly. The housekeeping staff must have noticed it but it appeared that nobody did something about this obvious defect. I told the front desk staff about it. Hopefully it will be fixed.

Overall, it is a good 5-star hotel in China. It's value for money, and the room amenities and setting were great. Location is perfect for sightseeing and dining. But like I said in other comments, what makes a great hotel is about the attitude to the fine details, and it is a Japanese Nikko brand.

• Stayed: November 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Michaelchs
NikkoXiamen, General Manager at Hotel Nikko Xiamen, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2014

Dear Michaelchs,

Greetings.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Thank you very much for the comments on the soap, light, rainforest and other facilities, I have already let housekeeping and engineering department check all the rooms, they will do the maintenance immediately.

In regards of the WIFI, we contact China Telecom, they will check the signal for our hotel and reset again.

We always do our best to exceed expectations for our guests. I'm sorry we didn't achive your expectation. What a pity! I will push our management do more training to our staff.

Once again thank you very much! I am looking forward to your next visit.