“The most disorganised company I have ever dealt with.”

Best Travel Cambodia
Reviewed 25 January 2016

I have just completed an 11 day tour of Vietnam and Cambodia with Best Travel. Even getting to Vietnam was a trauma. I booked this trip in May and was given travel dates. I was informed in December around two weeks before I was to fly out that these dates were not available and that I would have to travel one day later and then two days later as the plane was booked out and the airline did not honour group bookings. I had already booked other tours with another company. After 30 emails and complaining to Webjet they finally flew us out on the promised dates. When we got to Vietnam our tour guides were knowledgeable and wonderful. The company had not however communicated our tour options, movements, flights etc and many on our trips had to justify motel choice, that they had paid for tours and even that we had flights to Cambodia. Our tour guide had been told to take us to the border of Vietnam and Cambodia on a bus and we were to be met by the Cambodian tour guide!!!!!
Also Best Travel has a hidden charge - a tipping charge of for us $110 a trip, $10 per day. Considering there was 32 people on our tour this amounts to $320 a day extra for supposed tips. Only trouble was none of the people servicing us received any of this money. Not the guides, the crew on the boat that sailed us around Halong bay or the villagers. I have asked the company where this money went but have not received a reply yet. We were actually presented with envelopes to tip the crew of the Halong boat cruise and asked for tips for poor villages who rowed us along the Mekong.
So therefore the people on the ground were wonderful - guides, hotel staff, villagers etc. The people doing the organisation were terrible.

Date of experience: January 2016
4  Thank 222alexander2016

Reviewed 14 January 2016 via mobile

My time with Best Travel Cambodia was definitely one I will never forget. I loved every part of this tour and everywhere the tour guides took us. Admin were lovely to deal with and went out of their way to accommodate all of our requests to the best of their abilities. Throughout the trip we had a total of 4 tour guides and each one had outstanding knowledge of the town/city/tourist attraction and excellent English skills. They were all friendly, happy and had great stories to tell. My time travelling through Vietnam and Cambodia was one that I will never forget and I know if I hadn't gone with a tour guide, I wouldn't have seen everything I did. Seeing those beautiful places just makes me want to keep coming back again and again. I highly recommend Best Travel Cambodia!

Date of experience: January 2016
1  Thank holidaylover1414
Reviewed 17 December 2015

We have just returned from this package tour and hope that this review will be of use to anyone considering it. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed iourselves and felt we had value for money and that it was well organised and that the rep coped very well with 2 major unexpected changes of plan out of her control. The group size is large at up to 39 and most participants are well into middle age. It is a physically demanding trip with several flights, lots of early mornings and many stairs and steps to climb. Some people had mobility issues and coped but maybe missed out on some experiences. The hotels were superb and the buffet breakfasts of high quality and with a huge selection. Location wise Hanoi and Hue hotels were best and within easy walking distance of attractions ( although crossing the roads is something else!) Saigon hotel was beautiful but, as others have mentioned , you needed a taxi for evening meals. There was a large supermarket nearby and as we had included lunches in the day we made do with food from it for 2 evenings. Incidentally there is a cheap service wash place opposite the front of the hotel entrance and also metered taxis are plentiful and a few dollars from the city. Phnom Penn's hotel consists of more basic apartments which have 2/3 bedrooms, a sitting and kitchen area and 2 bathrooms. Before complaining look along the river at the people living in shacks and sleeping rough, food for thought. The area is generally safe to walk in if you excercise common sense and leave valuables at home. Tuck tuks are always available outside the well guarded hotel grounds but negotiate a price first. This part of the trip is harrowing and humbling as you find out about Cambodias horrific history from excellent local guides with first hand experience. The highlight for many was Siemen Reap and its temples. The hotel here is again a $4 tuk tuk from town but is magnificent with a lovely spa and full itinerary. There are 5 internal flights which entailed quite a lot of hanging around and 2 rather wasted days when maybe an early coach trip would have done as 2 flights were each under an hour. Excursions were excellent and seamlessly planned. Local guides were knowledgeable but the groups size sometimes made listening difficult and we were bombarded with information which seemed too much at times. Overall we were impressed with Riviera and it was bliss not having to worry about transfers, hotel issues and missing cultural highlights. I am sure independent travel is cheaper but for us this was great.

Date of experience: December 2015
4  Thank Judge80
Reviewed 3 December 2014

My wife and i have just returned from an excellent 'holiday' to Vietnam and Cambodia with Riviera Travel. This turned out to be a tremendous experience, full of unforgetable and unbelievable memories.

We have travelled with Riviera before on many occasions and this recent holiday highlighted all their excellent characteristics namely:-

* Carefully planned and full itinerary
* Periods of free time built into this
* Excellent hotels in the best locations
* First-class tour guides [Mariella on this occasion - brilliant!]
* Use of local guides, we had 5

HANOI - Attractive capital city, rich cultural heritage
HUE - Historic centre, former capital, intellectual and sophisticated
HO CHI MINH CITY - Buzzing, frenetic activity. Try crossing the road!!
PHNOM PENH - Capital of Cambodia, such charming, friendly people
SIEM REAP - For Angkor and its temples ....amazing!

Our holiday was full of walks, markets, history, shopping, pagodas, temples and much, much more. As long as you can cope with long flights [and 5 shorter internal flights too], I would recommend it to anyone.

Date of experience: November 2014
8  Thank HenrySheffield
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 October 2014

We visited Cambodia in August, 2014, after buying an online voucher. I was very impressed with the whole process. We did have a slight hiccup at the airport when the driver was expecting a group of 4 instead of two couples. I actually phoned the company to see what the problem was and the issue was sorted pretty quickly.
We stayed at some nice hotels during our tour, with the best being the one in Siem Reap. Our reception at each of these hotels was handled with ease and our tour guide was always there to help if needed. In fact, our tour guide Nara was amazing. Her knowledge was really good and she went "above and beyond" when making sure we enjoyed ourselves. I've never seen a tour guide smile so much. Thank you, Nara.
Our tour was well organised and very informative. The long travel times between cities couldn't be helped as there seemed to be roadworks everywhere. Our vehicle was air-conditioned and fairly comfortable, so we took the opportunity to observe the countryside.
I found this tour to be a great way to see Cambodia with the bonus of finding out so much about the people and customs.

Date of experience: August 2014