All reviews cambodian houses on stilts rice paddies authentic khmer tuk tuk bodia spa dogs barking mosquito net infinity pool angkor wat cold towels an oasis memorable stay spent nights centre of town boutique hotel four nights
Reviewed 29 June 2017

We spent 6 nights at Sala Lodges on a trip to see the fantastic temples and really loved it. The rooms are reconstructed houses although of course they are just bedrooms and bathrooms with far more luxurious furnishings than the original owners would have been able to afford. We really enjoyed the terrace and the pool for cooling down after a hot morning sightseeing. We also enjoyed the wild life. There were lots of birds eating the ripening mangos and we loved the geckos in the dining area. We also enjoyed the frog chorus in the evening, though it was amazingly difficult to actually see one of the frogs!
We enjoyed the food although we did not eat there every night. We particularly liked the Khmer option for breakfast and got to really enjoy Cambodian cuisine. The staff were all delightful, so friendly and anxious to help. We learned to use the Cambodian greeting and that seemed to be appreciated.
I see that other reviewers have complained about noise and about mice and other wildlife in the rooms. For all its growing sophistication, Siem Reap remains a town in a very poor developing country and the hotel is surrounded by the homes of local people who live their lives mostly outdoors and grow their own fruit and vegetables. We had adjusted our expectations in the light of that and Sala Lodges massively exceeded them.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Alison J
Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

This is a rather authentic hotel to stay. Large rooms and beautiful grounds. The rooms are hot during hot days even with 2 A/Cs. Night is okay. Not far from the town and good Tuk Tuk services.

I would recommend using a real car if you go far for safety reasons. A family staying in the same hotel got into a bad accident when we were there.

If would be nice to have a public air-conditioned areas. The restaurant offers expensive small-portioned food.

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank MdMontaigne
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

A four night stay as an escape from Singapore, recommended by a well travelled friend. Simply put this is about as good a hotel as I think I've stayed in. I'm wracking my brain to find fault and don't think there is one. To be clear, this ain't typical 5* luxury. The lodges are superb but still old wooden houses. If you want a swanky gym and flatscreen telly go to the Sofitel. If you want truly impeccable service, a serene like calm, a beautiful pool, fabulous spa treatments, deliciously comfortable beds, lovely linen and delicious food, then I'd come here instead.

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

Sala Lodges is a superb place to stay! Enjoyed 3 magical nights in our own antique Cambodian stilt house surrounded by beautiful decor and peaceful surroundings. The staff went the extra mile to help us be comfortable and made our 2-day tour arrangements for Angkor with ease. The restaurant serves delicious food and there are lots of breakfast options. The pool is magical and above average in size. It's a quick tuktuk trip into the heart of Siem Reap ($1-$2) old market area but I'd say too far to walk. Only 2 issues came up for us - lots and lots of mosquitoes in the room (we kept everything closed) and it seemed that the hotel's credit card:debit reader was not reliable. I'd suggest settling your bill the night before leaving or be prepared to pay in cash if need be. We unfortunately had to skip breakfast because we ended up in such a rush and the staff made me a wonderful breakfast to go without me even thinking to ask - greatly appreciated! We would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2017

We started our 10 day vacation at this hotel and were not disappointed. The grounds are spread out and lush. Service was great and we LOVED our room. Very rustic and authentic feeling.

We also got massages, that they set up for us very last minute.

Room tip: We stayed in Villa 11 and were told it was the best room
Date of stay: May 2017