“Let me tell you a story”
Review of Parklane Hotel

Parklane Hotel
Ranked #150 of 392 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I booked to stay here 5 nights and this is how my initial introduction to my room went. The hotel staff member shows me in and tells me some basic information and that there is a safe in the room. My initial thought of the room was that it looked spacious and whilst having a dated decor the double bed looked comfy! It’s only when they leave I start to notice some key issues with my room! Firstly I’m struck by the 90s style non flat tv which is like 28 inches wide and double that in depth but it’s no biggy as I don’t really watch tv on holiday! I’ve not long got off the plane so hot and sticky and I was looking forward to a shower, as I pull my t-short over my head I’m looking directly up at the light almost directly above my bed and noticed it is dotted with a shadow of dead insects and other creatures including not so small geckos trapped in the light covering! I don’t know how no one has not cleaned it but I decide to leave it for now and just take the shower I’ve been longing for and when I go in the toilet I can’t see a space for the shower. I see the toilet and the wash basin, I actually look behind the door hoping it will materialise there before I realise......no, it can’t be, it’s above the toilet! I have never been to a place that has had a set up like this and maybe it is the height of efficiency that you can go to the toilet and clean yourself at the same time if you wish but it’s not the world I want to live in just yet! I take my interesting shower and then when I head to the bedroom I decide to close the curtains and realise.....they are burnt?! How did the curtains get burnt? Did the place set on fire and they saved the curtains and decide to repurpose them? Did a guest smoke and set fire to the curtains and not tell anyone?!? It’s clearly noticeable so I am bewildered by all I have witnessed thus far! I lastly go to try to find the safe which becomes like a game of hide and seek and when I give up and ask receptionist they tell me there is no safe in the room only their safe downstairs where I can put things! As you may tell this has not put me in a favourable light for recommending this hotel. With all seriousness the location is good, it’s close enough to walk to pub street if you want. The breakfast wasn’t great and I found the choice pretty limited. The main positives are that the rooms are big and it has decent internet that you can actually watch tv or play a game on but the cleanliness of my room was not great and whilst the price of room is considered cheap I’m convinced if you shopped around a bit more you would find better elsewhere! Maybe I just got unlucky as some other reviews say their rooms came with actual showers. Also to give credit to the hotel staff when I notified them about the dead insects in the light they did clean it two days later.

Stayed: February 2018, traveled solo

Reviewed February 14, 2018

Parklane has a good location. Near the hotel, there are numerous well rated restaurants that are much better than those found on Pub Street. As for Pub Street, it is only about a ten-minute walk from the hotel to all of the bars, entertainment, and crowds found in this district. The ten minutes puts a quiet buffer between you and the sound. The room was large with comfortable beds and the wifi was reliable. The staff was pleasant and very helpful. They organized for me an inexpensive tuk tuk tour of Angkor Wat and associated temples. Finally, the price was very reasonable for the quality of the stay.

• Stayed: February 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed February 9, 2018

I assess hotels on a 'value for money' basis: it would not be helpful to criticize a 2- star hotel because it didn't have 5-star service/facilities. I booked this hotel on-line, got a good price, and on arrival was even upgraded to a much better room than I was paying for (en-suite v. shared bathroom). This was to accommodate my request for a room on a low floor. A good all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast (Asian and Western food) was included, and set me up for the day. The room was cleaned daily, with fresh towels, etc., and the desk staff all spoke good English and were helpful and friendly. For me, appreciating quiet surroundings away from the bar scene, the location was excellent too. Everything there - plenty of eating places, laundries, bakery shops, etc. etc. but in any case S.R. is quite compact so wherever you are is 'near' - the price/quality of the hotel or guest house should be your most important consideration here.

My only criticism is that the transport from the airport that was to be provided didn't turn up and I had to make my own way. So if you book this hotel make sure you contact them directly about that - free airport transport on arrival is almost statndard in S.R. because the public transport is an 'official rip off'.

All in all highly recommended budget-priced hotel.

• Stayed: January 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed January 14, 2018

This hotel was selected for me as part of a tour I was on.

I found this tour to be very clean and located within a 5 min walk from pub street and the night market. This hotel pretty much had everything you need; clean sheets, a nice ensuite, air con, mini fridge for all your water and buffet breakfast for US$ 3.

I did notice that the rooms differed. For example; my ensuite was more of a wet room with the shower head located on the wall, while others in my tour group had a proper shower and bath in their room. Also I had difficulties locking my door, when I was inside the room I had to lift and push to the door to get the sliding lock to work and from outside the room I had to wiggle they key to get it to turn. Whereas, other rooms did not have this problem, they also had deadlocks on their door which made them easier to lock from the inside.

This hotel was fine and gave everything that you may need. The reception offers brochures for different activities you can do in the city and they are able to book them for you.

Room Tip: If you want a bath in the en-suite instead of a wet room, I would suggest you request it when bookin...
  • Stayed: January 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed December 19, 2017 via mobile

This hotel was okay. We stayed there as part of a group tour. I liked the location, the daily fee water bottles, and the shower pressure a lot. I didn't love that we had a massive puddle on our floor outside the bathroom when we arrived and despite our room being serviced every day the puddle never disappeared. Also, one day they took away both our towels and replaced them with one single towel, even though we are a couple? Handy tuk tuks outside with reasonable prices. Laundry is half the price just round the corner.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple
Sopheng, General Manager at Parklane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2017

Dear hanamiko

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in your recent stay with us. Our hotel management teams will improve all the points that you have mention in your review. And we promise that we will avoid of this case for the next guests.

We are sorry for any convenient it may cause during your stay. And we do hope that you will come back again in the future I will serve you personally.

Best Regards,