“Zingerman's is always a special treat for lunch”

Zingerman's Delicatessen
Ranked #9 of 660 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Deli
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Opened in March of 1982 by Paul Saginaw and Ari Weinzweig in an historic building near the Ann Arbor Farmers' Market. Serving up thousands of made-to-order sandwiches with ingredients like premium Black Angus corned beef and pastrami, free-range chicken and turkey, housemade chopped liver and chicken salad. The Deli also stocks an exceptional array of farmhouse cheeses, estate-bottled olive oils, varietal vinegars, smoked fish, salami, coffee, tea and much, much more. Today, Zingerman's Delicatessen is an Ann Arbor institution, the source of great food and great experiences for thousands of visitors every year.
Reviewed 17 August 2018

We absolutely love Zingerman's for lunch, but the prices on the sandwiches can be a bit of a sticker shock (~$15 without any sides). We often share a sandwich. They are really good though. We went on a Friday at lunch recently and the line was out the door and around the side of the building. However, the line moved very quickly. You order, pay, then find a table and they bring you your sandwich. I'd say if you go - don't be in a hurry and if you like to cook, plan to spend some time shopping in their store as they have lots of unique items in stock. Next store to the delicatessen they have a coffee/ice cream/dessert place. We also loved the store across the street (not a Zingerman's property), which had many Michigan and other items and a wide selection of cards. Great for picking up gifts or Michigan related items.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,820)

Reviewed 9 August 2018

I have never had anything but a very positive experience at Zingerman's Deli. The food is excellent, the service is fantastic! We take a group of 30 every year for an event, and even with that many, the entire experience runs very smoothly with the same excellence as if dining for two.

Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

We met our two sons for breakfast to celebrate my wife’s birthday and were totally disappointed. We waited and watched everyone who came after us get their food. When ours finally arrived, it was chintzy, skimpy, and looked like it was just thrown together. Should expect more than one piece of bacon on a BLT. For what you pay, you should get the giant sandwiches that you usually get. We have been here many times when it was way more crowded and have had better food and service. I hope this is not the new normal for Zingerman’s.

Reviewed 2 August 2018

Zingerman’s Delicatessen has a long and very favorable history in Ann Arbor.

I have heard and read that Zingerman’s owner is widely respected for his skill in how to treat both customers and employees. I hear that he gives lectures on these topics both in the US and overseas! Here is a delightful example: After about 25 minutes of ordering my lunch, I asked the order taker a question and she remembered my name. I was impressed and flattered.

The ambience of the place is very casual. They offer sandwiches to eat there plus they offer cheeses and bread and more to purchase as take home.

For eating in, Zingerman’s has very casual seating downstairs and upstairs.

For lunch, I ordered jere’s m.o.b., which is a delicious beef sandwich with melted Vermont cheddar cheese, horseradish sauce, mayo, on a very fresh sourdough bread. The sandwich was excellent.

I would like to go back for their lox and bagels.

Zingerman’s offers a huge variety of meals and food.

This is not a fancy place but it is wonderful.

Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

We stopped in Ann Arbor for lunch as we were headed up to Traverse City. We thought we check on Zingerman’s after we saw the reviews. It was a bit hard to find because of the construction on the access road.

Our lunch took quite a bit longer than expected b/c the place is Cleary very popular. We waited in line for about 20 minutes just to order. (By 1 pm the line was out the door and around corner.)

I had the D$’s Cuban Presser (00) and it was really good with a fair amount of a kick. I ordered the large and it was huge. A lot of food. I could not finish it (and that rarely happens). Awesome! Worth the wait.

BTW. My daughter has nut and egg allergies and they did a great job helping her find something to eat and make sure she was safe.