“A Visit to Antigua Should Begin with this Tour”

Antigua Photo Walks
Ranked #1 of 61 Tours in Antigua
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Are you visiting Guatemala and would like to learn how to elevate your photography to a higher level? We will show you the best spots to photograph Antigua Guatemala’s sites and people, and share the tips, tricks, techniques and secrets of a street photographer. We are also happy to design a private photo walk for you if you would prefer dedicated one-on-one attention and to focus on specific themes or techniques. Antigua Photo Walks are led by professional photographer, Rudy Giron, who has been capturing the spirit of Antigua Guatemala’s streets since 2006 at AntiguaDailyPhoto.com.
Reviewed 12 August 2018

A visit to Antigua should begin with an Antigua Photo Walk with Rudy Giron for two reasons.

First, Rudy is a gifted instructor who will share a wealth of tips to improve your photos, which will set you well for the pictures you'll be taking for the rest of your trip (and, well, for the rest of your life!). We met Rudy at a coffee shop early in the morning of our first day in Antigua. He offered several options for how to spend our time together depending on our interests. We selected street photography and were then subject to a "download" of brilliant insights and suggestions on how to capture the ideal candid photos of people on the street. My wife, who is a professional photographer, said it was one of the most rewarding and insightful sessions she's received on street photography. Rudy even had suggestions for me, and I take all my pictures using a smartphone camera!

After our instruction (and delicious Guatemalan coffee), we moved to the main square to put the instruction into practice. Rudy offered suggestions for compositions, provided in-the-moment critiques, and arranged for subjects - he is fluent in English and Spanish so was able to converse easily with the denizens of the square to arrange for photo opportunities. We never felt rushed or that he was watching the clock; he was as generous with his time as he was with sharing his expertise.

The second reason to start Antigua with Rudy is because of his love of the place. He is a valuable resource for recommendations on things to do and places to go. So be sure to ask him for his suggestions for restaurants, sites, tours, coffee shops, and anything else that might interest you during your time in the city.

We benefited tremendously by beginning our visit to Antigua with Rudy. We suggest you do the same. It will be time well spent that pays dividends long after you've left the city.

1  Thank Michael M
"sharing his knowledge"
"two hours"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Highly recommend this tour. Not only very worthwhile to improve your photography but also a great tour of the city, discovering hidden gems & learning a bit of the history about this beautiful place. Also great recommendations for your stay - attractions, where to eat etc.Thanks Rudy!

Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

This tour is definitely worth it! I learned so much about photography and saw the good spots to take photos. Rudy is fluent in English and keeps the tour very interesting at all times. He's great! Do it!!!!

Reviewed 2 August 2018

We were going to be in Antigua for five hours (actually four but that’s another story) so I wanted to find something to do for part of that time. I found out about Rudy’s Photo Walks from TA and thought that would be a splendid thing to do, to improve my photography skills, learn more about Guatemala and its people. My wife though was not thrilled by the idea but eventually I convinced her. I made arrangements for a two-person, two-hour private session with Rudy, communicating by email. We were instructed to meet him at a coffee shop across the central park. When we arrived, Rudy was waiting for us. After buying coffee, we sat down with him at a table. He was prepared with an iPad to show us examples of his photography that demonstrated what he wanted us to learn today. His examples included, lighting, framing the shot and capturing people to provide interest and scale. He also told us to be on the lookout for saints, mermaids and lions incorporated into the architecture. We began our walk by going to the second floor portico that looked over the park and provide views of the church. We also visited the central courtyards of some beautiful hotels. In one of these were two Mayan women weaving colorful cloth. I used them as photo subjects and tipped them for doing this. When I inquired about a plastic bag on top of her yarns, she opened it and offered me a warm corn tortilla that was delicious. After finding the mermaids, viewing the volcanoes, photographing motorcycles thru arches, we ended our tour. We were very satisfied with our results and our photos of Antigua were the best of our trip. Rudy even helped us after our tour to find the best Enchiladas de Guatemala.