“Blame it on Mercury in Retrograde?”

Atkins Farms Country Market
Ranked #1 of 6 Dessert in Amherst
Reviewed 12 August 2018

This is a market that is a joy to shop in. It carries eclectic varieties of produce (to wit: purple apricots) that are beautiful to look at, brands of things you may not have previously heard of, it carries fresh meats and fish, it has a salad bar, candy, chocolate, wines, beers, cheeses, frozen meals, pastas, a bakery, food-grocery items.

I could go on! Atkins has it, and I have been stopping in for years on our Berkshire travels.

Last year I bought some super, unusual, classy kitchen items and glassware at great prices. Little did I know they were phasing down this department which is a shame. I was disappointed: I feel sorry about the demise of the cool which was replaced by the mundane: lanterns (that also zap bugs) and chunks of log pieces to burn.

There is an area to buy "tchotshkes" fake Tiffany (but gorgeous lamps) beautiful flowers and plants.

Be that as it may, Atkins is near Hampshire College, The Yiddish Book Center, The Eric Carle Museum and is so convenient if you are visiting one of those places and need something to eat. One could pick up food from the deli counter and eat it comfortably in the store. There is a large choice.

In the past I could say that the food was terrific, but I think that perhaps this was an off-day. (Blame it on the planets?The stifling heatwave?). My veggie burger was dry, potato salad was excellent but the cole slaw had a strange taste. In the back of my mind I saw the turkey that my husband ordered, in the case, NOT looking very fresh. He could barely eat the sandwich and got sick to his stomach after. This doesn't auger well in the memory-category. You know how you associate events with places). Perhaps we should have been more on top of things and more vigilant and observant but we relied on past experience: I would never think something could not be fresh.

In sum, this is a great store, it has a good vibe and beautiful wares and sells anything you need to fill a stomach; perhaps it is advisable to give the deli-food a good look when you are shopping later in the day, to verify quality--if that is possible. Unfortunately, out of all the times I have come here, my experience was not memorable.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 10 August 2018

This was one of the best vendors we used for my sons wedding. The flowers were AMAZING and the cake, cupcakes, and cookies were so good. Everything was beautifully done and the staff was very nice to work with.

Their store is also great was a lot of good food to eat there or take home. Very clean and a good variety of fresh foods.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

This is such a great spot to stop during your travels. The baked goods, fresh vegetables, meat market, gift section and wine and beer selection cover it all. You have to try the cider donuts and chocolate cake!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 10 July 2018

Atkins is a interesting place; it's been around for decades and has grown into a tourist attraction so look out on weekends. The customer service is great. The fish and meat are first rate. The produce is only so so; they leave stuff out way too long. The bakery is also mixed; the cider donuts are appropriately renowned but their breads are bad, as are their pies (although some would disagree). Also the pricing is weird; the meat/fish/produce are reasonable but everything else is pricey. The deli/sandwiches etc are also variable; some good some bad.

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank CountryDocYarbar
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

We regularly shop at Atkins for our fruit and vegetables. They are local , fresh and delicious.
Their homemade soups and sandwiches are a great lunch choice.

Date of visit: June 2018