“Good massage, terrible service”

Thailand Energy Center of Thai Massage and Culture
Ranked #11 of 96 Spas & Wellness in Kiev
More attraction details
Owner description: Authentic Thai Massage in Kiev center at "Energy of Thailand" Thai Massage and SPA Salon on Pechersk District. Certified Thai therapists from WatPo Monastery (Bangkok).No "extra/erotic services" guarantee. Sabai room for massage for two and many other relaxing and energizing treatments.
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a very critical review following an extremely disappointing experience. However, it is based exclusively on the service by the administrative personnel rather than the massage itself (which was decent, probably 4 stars). Please bear with the long story - the comic of it is worth it.

Background: in July 2013 I received a gift card to be used at this massage center, totaling 1,800 hryvnas. At the time, this corresponded to $125, as per the exchange rate. I passed on the gift cards to my wife who was looking for a good thai massage place for a while. To cut the long story short, she only went to make use of the gift cards in June 2014 (first she was pregnant, then she had the baby, then she fled Kiev because of the unrest etc - all preventing her to go). Importantly, nowhere on the gift card itself was there any mentioning of the card expiring date. As an important note, the massage center received the cash for these cards upfront, back in June 2013.

My wife made an advanced appointment and consulted over the phone about the appropriate massage for a breastfeeding mom and a separate procedure for her sister, who would join her. On the day itself, the receptionist was very welcoming, confirmed the agreed procedures. These would cost 1,300 hrivnas (as a note, the Ukrainian currency devalued 50% in the meanwhile). However, upon the inspection of the gift cards she said they were expired back on Sep 1 2013 and asked to consult a superior.

Now here the exciting part of the story really starts. The superior took immediately a rather demeaning tone, confronting my wife that the gift cards were expired and that she could not claim it. Again, nowhere on the plastic gift cards did it say anything that these were valid for less than 2 months upon purchase. Supervisors position was especially frustrating as the center anyway received their money upfront. Moreover, she would claim the hryvna devaluation completely changed the value of the gift cards (failing to realize the simple fact that the devaluation actually benefitted her, as the value of our card was hryvna denominated and thus we could buy now fewer services for the same amount, given the price inflation).

After a surprised reaction from my wife, the supervisor (I really hope this was not the owner, as otherwise this place is really doomed), told my wife, again in a rather demeaning manner, that she would make an exception, but:
- We cannot have the procedures as initially selected (for breastfeeding women) but must have another set, that the supervisor would select. Our arguments that her colleague from reception told us that the original procedure was THE ONLY one recommended for breastfeeding moms, was not taken into account.
- We argued that the new set of procedures suggested by her anyway seemed to add to the same 1,300 hryvnas in value. Nonetheless (this part really goes beyond me), she insisted we can still do ONLY the 2 procedures she allows us to. Her argument - one of the procedures makes use of oil, which is very expensive (!). You understand the ridicule of the situation, as combined, either set of procedures would still cost us 1,300. However, it gets worse.
- To compensate for the untimely use of the gift card AND(!?) the hryvna devaluation, we would have to use the entire 1,800 giftcard to pay for the 1,300 procedures i.e. foregoing the 500 delta.

At that point, my wife simply wanted to leave the place, as she felt humiliated in the worst possible way. However, as her and her sister looked for so long at the relaxing prospect of a massage, she just swallowed her pride and took the 'deal' offered by the administration.

In hindsight, I can state that we never felt so abused by the incompetence and bad will of a customer facing officer as at Thay Energy Center. It is ironic, that a place which should be the epitome of good energy and zen like attitude, is run by such mean and utterly unprofessional human beings.

5  Thank YetAnotherTouristEU
DPankratov, Owner at Thailand Energy Center of Thai Massage and Culture, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Customer!

We are always happy to receive feedbacks to our services, either positive or negative.
Negative feedbacks make inputs for constant improvements.

We have carefully analyzed Your case, which is unique in our
3 years experience. Out of our 4000 customers we have
never had claiming's for certificates purchased one year ago. So
our statistics looks very good.

The validity of the certificate is limited to 2 months, which was stated on the paper part
of the certificate. We have added the foto of Your certificate to the
gallery and as You can see, it should have been activated till
15.09.2013. The information about validity should have been also provided to You by the receptionist by the purchase.

As a customer You have always the right to express Your opinion, which
is highly respected, though we can not completely agree with the statement "terrible service". This
expression can confuse other visitors of our TripAdvisor page and in
our opinion is not a fair one. Despite the expired certificate the
receptionist did her best to find a compromise solution for You.

Anyway we are very sorry for this experience and will make steps to avoid such cases in the future.

The solution for improvement will be to deliver in a better way the
information in regards of validity:
1) bigger font of the message on the certificate,
2) more clear explanation by the receptionist

You are very welcome to extend this list to make us improve.

We wish You all the best!
Sincerely Yours,
Energy of Thailand

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I visited this spa with my husband on Christmas Eve and we return on my birthday (December 26th). Both visits were absolutely amazing.

For both visits we had the couples room which is beautiful. We were given robes and then had a short foot bath. After that we given one and a half hour full body massages which were fantastic. We like to have oil massages instead of traditional dry Thai massages, so remember to ask for that if you prefer that.

When we returned on my birthday they gave me a small gift and and additional 30 minutes added on to my massage for free. Plus they gave us tea and chocolate covered oranges afterwards! Yum!

We were looking for a massage that was non erotic, we just wanted to relax and be pampered. If that is what your looking for then definitely go to this spot. We also didn't have appointments. We just walked in and were immediately welcomed and given what we asked for. They have a long list of different types of massages also so you can have your pick.

The only difficulty was finding the place. The directions on their website are great but you get to the building and don't see it anywhere. So when you are at the building which is across from a lot of tiny shops walk around to the back. You will see a sign for the spa near the driveway which you walk down and the spa will be on your right behind the building. Excellent quite location just a little trick to find but if my husband and I can find it walking on our own then you can find it too.

The ladies here are all amazing and their English is great. Wish we could visit more often.

2  Thank dugan6
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Thailand Energy Center is a really top-level facility in Kyiv. Everything is brand new, very Thai in style and super clean. The staff is friendly and speaks good English and the therapy provided met all my expectations. A very relaxing hour and a feeling of being newborn afterwards.

Great experience! Totally recommended!

2  Thank AndersKyiv
DPankratov, Owner at Thailand Energy Center of Thai Massage and Culture, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Anders, we thank You very much for Your positive feedback. We do our best to provide the best Thai massage in Kiev. Satisfied clients is the best reward for our Thai Massage Company Energy of Thailand. We are looking forward to have You back for a relaxing massage.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I just used the opportunity of a 1/2 days break and visited the place for a massage! It was great!
Nice place, very friendly staff und a professionel massage to calm down and relax! It is worth the money and I already asked my wife to join my next time.

1  Thank Dierkgruenzig