All reviewslobby barstayed for nightsper nightexcellent locationbulgaria
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

It's a good choice if you are for short stay, and you prefer to be in the City centre. The room was clean and large. It's very easy to reach all the main architectural and cultural places. The breakfast wasn't that good as the expected.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled on business
HDowntown, Guest Relations Manager at Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Dear Eleonora,
Thank you very much for letting us have feedback about your recent stay at hotel Downtown.Looking forward to see you again! Kind Regards, Milena Spaiska

Reviewed 23 March 2018

The Downtown could have been an unusual experience in kitsch. It's like an old lady in faded silk clothing. It's different from other hotel and that can be attractive. Just walking into the lobby sets the tome. There's a collection of huge over-stuffed two-seaters in cream brocade, martially arranged and pressed together, with the highest backs I have ever seen. It feels a bit like walking into a furniture depot. But once you sit in them, they become very cozy and intimate.
The room and bathroom were fine. They could be refreshed, but they contribute to the past century nostalgia.
The breakfast room isn't exactly modern and cheerful, but breakfast is good. There is fresh juice, and -finally!- it's not the same old same old of chain hotel. Lots of local dishes.
The staff is courteous and pleasant. Or not. The night staff is definitely in a better mood than the day staff who doesn't seem to tolerate remarks.
But the big HUGE drawback is the temperature of the room.
When I walked in past midnight I recoiled from the heat at the door. I fiddled with the thermostat to no avail. As it was very late, no one could help. The window could not remain open because of the noise from the street. A colleague had the same problem. The thermometer in her room ( I had none) showed 32°C. I hardly slept at all from discomfort.
Someone came in the next day and tinkered with the system. The temperature went down a couple of notches but no lower than the mid 20s. I was told that the system was central and nothing more could be done.
Every morning and every evening I spent long minutes with the window open ... heating the street to cool the room down. Ecologically, it's unconscionable, I know .
I slept very badly and woke up in the morning with a headache.
I was told the heating was the same in all the rooms, which is why I didn't ask to change. But what I really don't appreciate is that when another colleague arrived a couple of days later, his room, right across from mine, had an acceptable temperature. I do not appreciate being brushed off with a lie.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled on business
1  Thank imforestgirl

Dear Sir/ Madam,

We would like to thank you for the time and effort to share your review of hotel Downtown.My colleagues,which is responsible for that were notified and your remarks are already addressed with attention. Our mission is to provide four-star service to each guest and we are constantly improving. We hope we will have the chance to welcome you again at Downtown Hotel. Kind Regards, Milena Spaiska

Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

We stayed there just one night and we couldn’t be more disappointed. Rooms are very old, the pillows are so thin that it seems you are sleeping without any, the blankets are from the stone age and the breakfast, not just crappy but as well in a so called restaurant where there was just two tables, literally. I never recommend anybody to stay there, it is not worth the price.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dsclink

Dear Sir/ Madam,

We would like to thank you for your time taken to review your stay with us at Hotel Downtown.Looking forward to seeing you again! Best Regards,Milena Spaiska

Reviewed 30 November 2017

The hotel was a disapointment to me. The room was smelly and the wallpapers were falling down the walls. Location is ok, but the employee was trying to convince us to pay 10 EUR/each for their taxy to the airport and the real price was 6 EUR total. He was very rude when we asked him to call us a regular taxy service (which we end up paying 2 EUR/each).

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business

Dear,Marija

Thank you very much for letting us have feedback about your recent stay at hotel Downtown. I would like to inform you, that
your remarks are already addressed with attention. We hope to seeing you again at hotel Downtown! Kind Regards, Milena Spaiska

Reviewed 19 November 2017

My 2nd visit there after 2014. It hasn't changed in these 3 years. Rooms with stain ridden carpet and very dirty even after supposedly the maid was cleaning.
WiFi was available but with terrible connection quality so it was useless. Other guests confirmed it so it wasn't only my room.
Breakfast was mixed experience, one day it was a full buffet with fresh cream cheese and fruits, next day there was not even coffee or jam offered.
Staff very friendly and helpful, though with excellent English.

Room Tip: Book room not facing the street (blvd Vasil Levski)!
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business

Dear Hendrik,

We would like to thank you for the time and effort to share your review of hotel Downtown. We regret you experienced inconvenience regarding the cleanliness of the room. We would like to assure you that the colleagues from the housekeeping department and restaurant were notified and your remarks are already addressed with attention. It would be an honor and pleasure to be at your service again. Best Regards,Milena Spaiska