All reviews steep driveway the owner shut off complimentary champagne wonderful view of the city would definitely stay here again loved this hotel old house claudio stairs views terrace bay sink map
Reviewed 29 November 2018

I have traveled to 40 different countries and lost the count of all accommodations that I used, but the experience at Hotel Boutique Sutherland House will remain in my top.

First of all, the owner and staff are so friendly and helpful. If you do not speak Spanish worry not as the staff speaks good English. If you do speak Spanish, talk to the owner Claudio who is awesome.

The location is perfect.

You are higher than the best parts of town so you can descend down in 10 (+ - 5) minutes to most cool parts of this fantastic city. Take advantage of the "ascensores" in Valparaiso for even smoother, faster and authentically local commute.

If you are not much of walker/ have an injury / are out of shape, just take advantage of the affordable uber on the way back. We enjoyed the walks back to Sutherland House as it was offers beautiful views, passes by a supermarket if you want to restock on water/beer/wine/whatever you fancy. I would strongly advise against driving aside from arrival and departure. The streets are so steep that they make San Francisco appear flat :) Even that I love manual stick driving and finding the right moment to release the clutch and the handbrake, parking is scarce, traffic congested and the drivers are formula 1 /nascar wannabes :)

The views are spectacular. See my photos if you need a proof. I was so impressed that I made sure not to miss an opportunity for a sunrise time lapse even before the day of driving to Santiago and embarking on a long flying journey.

The breakfast is very delicious and generous and kept us fed from 9am to the late afternoon. (I am a big guy and eat a lot :)

Challenges:

Steep driveway (the owner Claudio kindly offers help in parking the car and he kindly came to the hotel early to move it from the parking lot down to the road for us to depart to Santiago and our flight)

There are some stairs to the lobby and to your room, so if you are out of shape, have injuries or hate stairs than it might make sense to look elsewhere and take advantage of the "assensiors" and uber"

Valparaiso has many street dogs which is a Chillean phenomenon even in Easter Island/Rapa Nui. It was not bad when we were there and the roosters added a nice touch to my sunrise videos, I can see that being a challenge to some fellow travelers. I would recommend to always travel with some earplugs and noise canceling headsets as they come in handy more often than not (baby performances on airplanes, fire truck operas, restaurant and clubs, etc).

My overall rating of 5 stars is not accurate as I want to give 6. Muchas gracias por todos amigos y saludos desde Bulgaria!

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
ClaudioC1290, Director General at Hotel Boutique Sutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello, Boyan S!
Thank you for taking your time to recount your experience. We are happy to know that you enjoyed the beautiful view and that our staff made you feel comfortable at all times.
We are waiting for you back in Valparaíso!. Best regards

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

I loved this hotel because of the people running it. I had to cancel a night, they were happy to allow me not to pay. Trip Advisor wasn't, as I was not in compliance with your cancelation policies. I'm reluctant to use Trip Advisor again, though I would stay in this hotel again.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family

Hello, Matthew!
We are waiting for you back in Valparaíso !. Best regards

Reviewed 24 January 2018

First of all, you must be able to navigate a steep driveway and then lots of stairs to the Lobby and then stairs to your room. The room is VERY basic - no closet no wardrobe no safe no frig. It did provide a hair dryer and ONE tiny bar of soap to share between the sink and shower. One of our groups bathroom only provided very hot water and no cold water. No help from staff but we finally figured it out ourselves that the cold water valve was shut off. No shower for those guests for a full day.

The biggest problem is the local dogs who barks all night long! Since there is no air conditioning, you need to leave windows open so no relief from the barking and then at 4am, the rooster starts and during the night, the cats making "love" added to the noise.

We did have king beds and though the entire hotel looks like it needs a lot of maintenance, it seems clean. They charged for bottle water though it was offered and when we checked out, they said the owner wanted us to pay in cash. With a polite refusal, they did manage to take our credit cards for payment.

Breakfast was scramble eggs with some options for toast and cereal. Most of the staff was very nice and seemed uncomfortable with some of the "owner says..." things.

I would not return to this hotel.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Claudio C, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Boutique Sutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2018

Dear Travelingforever1

First of all thanks for taking time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Your opinion is very valuable to us, as we strive to improve each and every one of the stays. I am very grateful for your comments about the aspects that need to be reformed. Our main priority is to offer a very well-maintained and comfortable environment. We deeply regret the inconveniences during your stay and I hope you can convince him to change his mind so that he visits us again in the near future.

With much appreciation,

Reviewed 9 January 2018

we had two wonderful days in Valparaiso. The room in the hotel was clean and little small with a pretty look over the hills and the Bay. But for two days it was o.k.. The personal was friendly and helpful.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Gerdschollmeyer

We thank you for giving us some of your time to tell us about our own facilities. We are pleased that you had an excellent stay and that you enjoyed the view of the bay of Valparaíso.

It is welcome whenever you want! Best regards

Reviewed 25 November 2017

This hotel was perfect for the purpose of our vacation. It is situated up on one of the many hills in Valparaise and you get a wonderful view of the city. The hotel is clean, the breakfast is great and the owner is very nice and helpful and so is the staff at the front desk.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi, anncharlott2017!

First of all thank you for taking time to review your stay at our hotel.
We are very pleased that you had a great vacation in Valparaíso and that at all times you felt well taken care of not only by me, but by all the hotel staff. Your opinion is very valuable to us, as we strive to improve each and every one of the experiences.

They can return whenever they want. The great view of the Buenos Aires bay awaits you! Best regards