“Amazing Meal!”

040 Restaurante
Ranked #40 of 5,411 Restaurants in Santiago
Price range: US$50 - US$110
Neighborhood: Providencia
Description: Menu of 10 savory dishes and 2 sweets. Unique menu Tasting menu. We also have a menu of vegetarian tasting, and wine pairings or also analcoholics
Reviewed 5 January 2020 via mobile

The restaurant is tucked away in a small hotel and serves an exquisite 12 course tasting menu. The dishes were all a very fun combination of different flavors very well presented. Most are small and meant to eat with your fingers. The service was excellent and perfectly attentive.

A real treat after dinner they take you through a secret door an elevator to a speakeasy themed rooftop bar - so fun! Excellent meal and would absolutely recommend for anyone going to Santiago.

Date of visit: January 2020
2  Thank pekingduck69
Write a reviewReviews (600)

Reviewed 2 January 2020

I am not a foodie. That being said I went to the website, Eater Santiago to get restaurant tips for a three day trip there, and this was number one, and while I have eaten at two others i cant help but think this would be a top restaurant no matter where it was as the effort and care was superb, and kitchen was really on its game.
Fair warning it is not easy to find. I was armed with the address and the taxi dropped me a block away confusing or neglecting to tell me that the city divides itself on the corner. Anyway someone saw us staggering about lost and told us to enter a small hotel building where the restaurant and the speakeasy (more on that later) is actually located.
On making the reservation the restaurant stated formal. Luckily I live in Los Angeles and I understand that formal means no jacket and tie needed, just no cut offs and flip flops. No one was over dressed, and everyone seems comfortable.
Once seated you are offered a pairing menu with wine or without. In hindsight given how conceptional the Chilean wines are the pairing menu would have made sense but we had landed that morning after a long redeye trip and so we passed. Mistake! Local ingredients and seafood cooked with the flair of a European oriented chef was simply amazing.
After dinner we were invited to take an elevator to a roof top bar styled s a 1930's speakeasy. Dark black walls low lighting inventive cocktails and the same charm and excellent service as 040.

Date of visit: December 2019
1  Thank P1384HLmarks
Reviewed 22 December 2019

Rarely do we have a dining experience as enjoyable from start to finish as at Restaurante 040. Chef Sergio Barroso Urbano's creativity with the ingredients was through the roof. Crisp bold flavours, innovative presentation and techniques in this modest, but cosy dining room in the basement of the Tinto boutique hotel. The staff went out of their way to make us comfortable and explain every dish. The tapa dishes were influenced by Japanese flavours with local ingredients To end the night we were ushered through a secret door for a finishing cocktail in the rooftop bar "Room 09" fashioned after speakeasies of the Prohibition era in North America.

1  Thank chrisk183
Reviewed 1 December 2019 via mobile

We picked this restaurant because it was rated as one of the top 50. Just to give you a bit of a context, we seek out these types of restaurants, so my comparison (or expectations) would be with the likes of Eleven Madison or Blue Hill. Well, I think they have a bit of work to do. The food is great, the decor is great and they accommodated one additional person for us, which I really appreciated.

Now, the bad. Two things: (1) Their website says "formal," but there's no explanation as to what that means. We wore formal-ish, but I saw someone in t-shirt. So, which is it? (2) Douglas, the sommelier, he's very nice, but the information about the wines were ever changing. They gave us menu with wine list, but he said bottles are not available. Then for wine pairing, it's one price, and then he mentioned another. We ended up with the wine pairing, but they're pretty stingy on the wines. Douglas was not very attentive at all that the glasses are empty. Later, it turns out we can get a bottle (magically). Essentially, what I'm saying is that it's confusing. We had a good time eating and enjoyed the food, but these things, they need to fix if they want to be in the caliber of great restaurants. Am not trying to get Douglas affected, but I think he needs more training.

It may be a language issue? Protest issue? Lord knows, but wines are very very important. Especially paired with the food. We all know it's expensive, but people who go to these kinds of restaurants would not have mind to pay the money. They just need to provide the service and staff that commensurate with its price.

I'd say keep on working at it and good luck.

5  Thank tr1an
Reviewed 22 November 2019 via mobile

Each course was very delectable and had fantastic presentation from the food to the plates. The wine pairing was very fitting for each course.

2  Thank Tzoom21