All reviews one night stay el nido the hotel staff front desk staff free breakfast tour company modern hotel palawan trip would stay here again front office enjoyed my stay rooms are clean cable tv underground river banks wifi airport
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 June 2019

I have never left a "terrible" review of any hotel i've stayed in, but this place deserves it. I was at the hotel for maybe two hours and had been in three rooms before i decided to leave and find somewhere else to stay. The Empire Suites is at best a budget hotel, definitely not as advertised and i like others have no idea who it has such good reviews from others. On arrival, i entered the hotel from the ground floor and waited at a small counter that turned out to be a security desk, after waiting over ten minutes the security guard appeared and told me check in was up on level three (no signs or info to point this out). Check in was quick and simple and i headed off to my room, room 1 of 3. The room was at the front of the hotel overlooking the main street. The noise from the street was constant with no way to block it out. Two large windows form one wall and the heat of the day belts through the windows, i turned the air con on which wouldn't have been strong enough to cool a matchbox. I checked the fridge for a cool water, the fridge wasn't working, i used the bathroom and the toilet wouldn't flush properly, i looked around the room more and saw broken floor tiles and a broken bed side table, that was enough for me so it was back to reception to request another room. Room 2 of 3. As soon as i walked on i was smacked in the face by an overwhelming stench of mould, i have never smelt anything like it, that was enough of that. Room 3 of 3. The pick of the bunch, cleaner than the others but still not "clean" with no smell. I was tired and needed a shower so into the bathroom i go, i take my shower and reach for a towel, a dirty grey (once white i presume) towel which made me feel dirtier than i did when i got into the shower in the first place! I had to get out of the hotel and clear my head so i went for a coffee and came back. When i got back to the room i noticed it didn't have a room safe, i spoke to reception staff who shortly after handed me a safe, that's right, they handed me a safe, unsecured to anything and easily carried from here to anywhere. That was enough for me, thankfully i hadn't unpacked. I spoke with reception staff about all of the issues i encountered and informed them i'd be leaving. Thankfully, i found a hidden gem not far away and left as quickly as i could. The one good thing i will say is that the staff i dealt with were lovely and that even though my booking was "non refundable" i did get my money back.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
EmpireSuites2019, Sales Account Executive at Empire Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2019

Dear TheJDLife

Thank you for your writing us a thorough review on how your stay was with us. We understand that you had some concerns regarding your stay and obviously did not meet your expectations. We assure you that we addressed these concerns immediately after reading your review.

We value your feedback because it is essential for us to consistently improve our services and facilities. We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the problems you have encountered during your stay. You have definitely shown us that there is still much work for us to do. It is very important to us to ensure our guests’ comfort, safety, and satisfaction. We do hope to have the chance to show you how much we've grown.

Again, we thank you for your effort in letting us know about your experience. We are hoping for your return as we show ourselves in the better light in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

John Michael Vincent Auditor
Sales Account Executive

Reviewed 25 May 2019 via mobile

If you go in thinking this is a 4/5 hotel you’re going to be disappointed. I’m not sure how it got so many rave reviews. I’d call this a 2.5 or a 3 out of 5. We’ve been staying in modest hotels throughout SE Asia as we’re traveling a few months. This is definitely the most modest of them all, i would call it a click up from a private room in a hostel.

The rooms are very very basic. They’re pretty clean, except that there are stains everywhere which never feels good. The bed was clean and pretty comfortable. You can hear the muffled sounds of the nightclub at night, if you are very sensitive to noise be aware. Its not terribly loud so i was fine to sleep.

The two big complaints i had was that the rooms have a mildew smell. The first room we were given the smell was so strong we had to ask for a new room. They were very accommodating and even gave us an upgrade. The second room was better but still had a slight smell.

The second complaint is that the breakfast is inedible. Just be aware that it wont be a perk you can really enjoy.

Contrary to other reviewers i found the staff very friendly and very eager to help us. Only good things to say about them!

Location was good, very close to airport and good spots to eat and drink. Easy for tours to pick you up.

If i has gone in believing this was a 3/5 i think i would have enjoyed my stay more - but the expectations set in other reviews didnt meet reality.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
EmpireSuites2019, Sales Account Executive at Empire Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2019

Dear Sladoo,

Good day!

Thank you for taking time to write review on our property and raising your observations and experience during your stay.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay. I am looking into it to ensure it does not happen again. We always strive to provide the best service to our guests and your comments will surely be taken into account.

I look forward in hearing from you and looking forward to welcome you again at Empire Suites Hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Sales Account Executive
John Michael Vincent Auditor

Reviewed 16 May 2019

We had a great stay at Empire Suite Hotel staff are very helpful specially the front office staff named Teody, they assisted us very well when we arrived, they also help us to have a informaion what is the best activity to do in our 3d/2n stay here in Palawan.
The room is clean and spacious.

Thank you for the great service.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
EmpireSuites2019, Front Office Team Leader at Empire Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2019

We highly appreciated the five stars rating!

We thank you for staying with us, and we are grateful for sharing your feedback on your recent visit in our hotel. We truly appreciate your effort in giving your comments, and sincerely we are very happy that our value for money amenities and services met your needs and expectations.Through your valuable feedback, we are confident that other guests will try and feel the Empire Suites Hotel experience. Thank you for supporting our hotel, I am really glad to know you will visit us again and continue to recommend our property.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and for choosing Empire Suite Hotel as your second home in Palawan in the nearest future. In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact us at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed 11 May 2019 via mobile

After our arrival, we got a very sweet and charming welcome! Room is nicely decorated and clean. They have a free shuttle to the airport which is quite practical. And they have us an extra hour before check out which is always appreciated.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
EmpireSuites2019, Front Office Department Head at Empire Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2019

Reviewed 25 April 2019

Stayed here last March 18 - 22, 2019 with my husband and my 2 friends who are visiting from Canada. Excellent service over all! I have never received the most gracious hosts ever, until I've stayed here! Everyone was so kind and accommodating. And here are some key points of our excellent stay:

PROS:

1. They have free flexible airport van transfers.

2. They have a welcome drink, and water too that is accessible near their elevator. Plus near their elevator, they even have a bowl with some inspiring quotes that you can pick from on a daily basis. :) I just return too after I read what I've picked. :)

3. Their staff are so gracious and accommodating, driver, hotel front desk, cleaners etc!

4. The hotel helped us book our tours at Puerto Princesa and even gave us discounts!

5. The hotel is very accessible to anywhere in the city.

6. Their rooms are big and clean, and they clean on a daily basis.

7. Their free breakfasts are served buffet style! And it's really good! American/ filipino cuisine

8. (For those with husbands who smoke) their 2nd floor terrace allows smokers, and what's nice is they even put ashtrays and a seating area. At least my husband didn't have to go out in the street.

9. Before leaving, the front desk even gave us (girls) a small rainmaker as a token of appreciation for us staying at their hotel. This really made my day! It was really so kind and thoughtful of them. :)

CONS:

1. While I notice it's literally everywhere in Puerto Princesa, but we had to ask the front desk to do a bug spray inside our room. And even if they already did, there were still some mosquitoes right after.

2. There were some bar music sounds that can be heard at one of their rooms where my friends stayed at. But we requested for a transfer, and they immediately had my friends transferred too. I think they should do something about their hotel being sound proof to accommodate light sleepers or those with jet lags.

Overall, if I am going back to Puerto Princesa, I would definitely be staying again here.

Thank you to Empire Suites for making our first time visit to PP extra memorable! :)

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
EmpireSuites2019, Front Office Department Head at Empire Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2019