2 people are viewing this hotel
SAVE US$143
TravelocityUS$463
Orbitz.comUS$463
CheapTicketsUS$463
All reviews no alcohol mountain villa speed boat lagoon tour small gym our honeymoon beach front mainland island paradise tours bert philippines cons monkeys
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 February 2020 via mobile

Pros
. Beautiful resort.
. Weather was fantastic.
. Secluded from the busier El Nido.
. Nice clean rooms.
. Good food.
. Good beach and pools.
. Good snorkelling.

Cons
. No alcohol which was only made clear when we had booked (which was non refundable). That said you could get it delivered from El Nido on the boat transfers.
. Boarding the boat from the pier was very dangerous. Especially when seas are rough. Not suitable for the elderly or less mobile or those who are pregnant.
. The dive company with whom they are partnered with are not very professional. Also they would not let any other dive company dock at the pier.
. Going to or from el Nido, outside of arrival/departure, came at a cost of PHP500 per person, even if the boat was travelling.
. Wifi not very strong but this not too much of an issue given where you are.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed 3 February 2020 via mobile

This island is breathtakingly beautiful, the rooms are lovely, great views and beds super comfortable. Something to bear in mind is that you are paying for the luxurious location, not for high-quality luxury food. It may not help that I am a pescatarian, but the options at the small buffet breakfast if you don’t eat meat consisted of various deep fried foods.

Lunch and dinner isn’t included in the booking so you have to choose from the same menu for all meals for your whole trip, so I would therefore not recommended staying for more than a couple of nights or it gets pretty repetitive.

It’s good that there is a small gym but it would be great if there was perhaps a sunset yoga class, to give you something to do when the sun has gone behind the mountains. Just something we would have enjoyed!

Also not something that is outlined anywhere when booking (from what I could see) - there is no alcohol sold on the island, so you may wish to bring your own or you could get a shock when you arrive and would have liked a couple of evening drinks!

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed 25 January 2020

Like most scams, Matinloc looks great on paper. My regret for booking this resort started IMMEDIATELY. My four night booking already carried a hefty $2,000 price tag, which I assumed was an investment on a wonderful once in a lifetime experience, then I got slammed with $400+ in hidden additional fees, REDFLAG Upon booking I received an email from Matinloc stating among numerous other rules and restrictions: THE RESORT DOES NOT SELL OR SERVE ALCOHOLIC DRINKS. I emailed the resort immediately to try to cancel my reservation, pointing out that it is incredibly deceptive to list your property as having a miniBAR and they basically told me to go f myself in the most patronizing manner possible.

Matinloc is chock full of surprises whether you will like ‘em or not. Here are some examples:

- The rooms on Matinloc’s website were attractive and looked comfortable which was a big factor in choosing a hotel. Maybe they stuffed us up here because they were mad at me for trying to cancel or maybe I sinned in a previous life but I had no idea I would be staying in a literal treehouse, in fact, I didn’t even know they had a treehouse. If you’re wondering what type of treehouse is worth $500 a night, rest assured I am as well. The room was TINY and cramped. The shower/toilet/sink area was clearly an afterthought and left a lot to be desired in terms of privacy but I guess aside from our belongings getting covered in sap, the precarious steps, and the view of our luxurious 12” tv (aka only form of entertainment on the island) being partially obstructed by a giant tree it was completely disappointing (quick note: you must go behind the tree to plug in the USBs with the movies…no USB extension cable provided).

-When they “cleaned” they did not remove clearly dirty dishes. That one really got me. They also didn’t replace the same number of towels that they took so my fiancé and I would alternate who got to dry off after the shower or use the wash cloth.

-THE FOOD. I was most surprised by the food and I can’t stress how dangerous that could be. I ordered the chicken parmesan and I will hand it them- IT WAS AMAZING. It was also covered with slices of ham that were hidden by the melted cheese. Like I said, I loved it, but that’s a real bad surprise for someone who is kosher or I don’t know, keeps a pig as a pet. I just think its worth mentioning. Just like it might be worth mentioning that the Tempura Vegetables listed in the vegetarian section of your menu is served with shrimp- which the rest of us tend to agree is not a vegetable. BAD SURPRISE. The rest of the food is whatever——— except for the breakfast buffet which is truly terrible. 10/10 would sleep through.

-Sunset: I envisioned watching the sunset from the beach. YOU CAN NOT SEE FROM THE SIDE OF THE ISLAND THE HOTEL IS ON but for $100 they will sail you - and a friend all the way to the other side of their island where you can sit in the Banca boat with a can of coke and pizza just ask about their “sunset dinner cruise”. We attended this offering for the record.

-Nightlife. Nothing to review because it doesn’t exist. Clearly illegally downloaded movies on USB sticks should NOT be categorized as nightlife…but surprise this is what you will be doing when the sun goes down.

-The Pool is not heated (aka useless) especially when the sun goes down.

-Drinking “On the bright side” you can bring your own booze in reality they are nickel-and-diming you on a much larger scale. Unless you want to drink wine (which just screams tropical get away) or are a true alcoholic (straight tequila, anyone?) You are going to need a mixer Mantiloc offers a variety of fruit juice and smoothies, charges you $7 a drink and BOOM they have just turned the profit of a full bar selling you mixers you couldn’t drink fast enough to get a buzz even if you wanted to. Learn from my mistake and bring a variety of mixers you love. I’m not positive anyone is actually capable of enjoying a stay at Matinloc this could be your best shot and there’s a limit to how many pineapple smoothies a human can consume.

Wifi- The wifi worked okay in our room but when we ventured 30 feet to the beach…. *crickets*

Diving: The fun dive package was seriously the best. The guys we dove with were great and the diving itself was the highlight of our time in the Philippines. The only thing I would change is having Matinloc involved in any capacity. Book the dives directly through dive center (Pa-Lao-Yu Dive Resort, El Nido). The rate on their site is 3,600/pax Matinloc charges hotel guests 5,000/pax for the EXACT SAME PACKAGE. $50 profit for them doing LITERALLY UTTERLY ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except conning you into staying at their hotel.

The Lagoon Tour: We were charge $200 for a half day tour of small lagoon, big lagoon, secret lagoon, snake island and entaula island and they didn’t take us to all of the locations.

I attempted to enjoy this place for what it was but simply isn’t much to it. The kindest word I can use to describe our stay is depressing- and while we were just painfully bored the other handful of other guests at the resort looked genuinely forlorn. The staff seem terrified of the guests and have slight drone quality to them. It almost seems like they are trapped in an abusive relationship with the owners. (Matinloc employees! If you are reading this you are all so polite, awesome and competent. You deserve so much better and slip-resistant shoes!!!).

BE VERY AWARE they do not provide you copies of your receipts corresponding to the hotel charges upon check out. You will leave here feeling straight up pick pocketed.

Date of stay: January 2020
3  Thank 45meghannc
Reviewed 6 January 2020 via mobile

This is your dream come true. Everything in just one island. I spend New Year,s eve here with my hole Family. We didnt imagine to what we were going to, so since we picked up from El Nido Hotel, until we finished our experience with Matinloc Resort Staff, we were sorprised of every detail and kindness of everyone. Definitly i can recommend to everyone who wanna desconnect from everything and have the experience of nature and local people, food and paradise. Hope to see you again, beautiful phillipine people ! Beautiful experience. Thank you for all, blessings!
Namaste,

Stephanie Marroquin
Lima, Peru

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2020

Considering the amount you pay we were disappointed by our stay (two couples in a mountain villa with 2 br).
There are so many small details that are just not suitable for the expectations you have when you book such a place, be it the transport, the bed size in the second br, the maintenance of the rooms or general areas, not speaking about the massage place..... The staff is super friendly and really trying the best but they are not well trained, its definitely not their fault, you see that they try their best. It seemed like management doesnt care at all how the customer feels treated although with such small things they could improve the experience, eg upgrade the transport van, tell the staff to say a few nice words to arriving guests, do not stop at this ugly beach hotel, dont play annoying music all the time in the dining area, train staff on how to be attentive and fill up all foods before they run out, serve espresso/cappucchino/water for free (!), the choices of food at the buffet (make it more healthy), a more tasteful decoration, maintain the rooms, clean up that second pool and the construction site, organize the tour booking better so you know exactly what the expect (we booked way in advance and it was pure chaos, we were all so angry - but the guys running the tour were great, once we managed to get on a tour), pay attention if guests celebrate their birthday. Just show some empathy towards guest it cant be that hard...

There are nicer resorts in that area, I recommend you book those!

Room tip: Mountain villa
Date of stay: December 2019