All reviewslocal familyprivate toiletcold showeramerican breakfastperfect locationpleasant staypesosphilippinesresortgalera
Reviewed 13 September 2017

We arrived pretty late because we had a hard time finding a nice and affordable accommodation. But I'm really happy that we kept looking. This place is right near the beach and the rooms are basic but comfortable. The restaurant is okay but there are better options around (the portions were really small and it took a long time). We wanted to stay for 2 nights but added two extra nights because we were having such a good time. Talipanan is definitely the most 'of the beaten track' beach around Porto Galera. And it's easy to explore the other because by motorbike.
Also they have nice barbecue places and bahay kubo's you can use for free.

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hannah R
Reviewed 30 July 2017

I stayed 2 nights at Mountain Beach Resort and had a pleasant stay. I stayed in their budget friendly room, which is a good size for 3-4 people (I was traveling solo) with private toilet & cold shower and electric fan. The lodge where my room was located was away from the main area where the main restaurant is located, but it is still nice and quiet. The location is perfect, next to the beach, where you can have breakfast, lunch, or dinner at the restaurant as you look out into the sea. The restaurant serves decent food, and the local family & staff here are very friendly and helpful. Surprisingly, the wifi works very well in the restaurant and in the rooms!

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed 27 May 2017

We are not booked at their hotel but we randomly picked their restaurant while walking along Talipanan beach on a day trip and got directed to their other restaurant since the one we went to ran out of stock.

We ate our late afternoon meal here and food came out at a excruciatingly slow pace. We expected that the pancakes which was simple to do came out after 45 mins. While it is hard to pull off for some places to prepare fresh calamares, I got instead a calamares with fused hair in the breading.

The items that I think saved them from getting a terrible rating was the fruit shake and the Pancit Bihon item which was well done.

Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jose Victor M
Reviewed 11 May 2017

I had a nice second-floor room with a lovely view of the sea. At night I went to sleep to the sounds of the surf. From what I could see, I think all of the rooms have a sea view This is not the case for every resort in Puerto.

There are two restaurants on the property, with similar menus. Breakfast is included with your room rental and the breakfast is fine. They specialize in basic Philippine cuisine. Service at the restaurants is slow, but that is the norm at provincial resorts in the Philippines.

The only time I was really pissed off was when it took them over an hour to serve me some grilled fish. They explained that it was slow coming because it was frozen. Yes, a resort 10 meters from the shore, with fishermen walking by with their catch every day, and Mountain Beach serves FROZEN FISH! I explained that I can get that in Manila; I come to Mindoro for fresh fish. And yes their grilled fish was utterly tasteless.

The next day I went to Amami Resort where they showed me a selection of fresh fish from the sea. I made my choice and the excellent fish appeared in a timely way.

I've stayed at Amami (see other review). I recommend Mountain Beach for the accommodation, but Amami for the food, including several Italian dishes prepared by an Italian chef.

On the other side of Mountain Beach is the very upscale Infinity Resort. This place is wildly expensive and the only people who stay there are naive tourists who think there is a relationship between cost and quality. I've eaten at Infinity twice and will never do so again. The cost of a meal is twice that of Amami, and three times that at Mountain Beach. A meal at Infinity will be served by excellent waiters but the food is totally forgettable. I had a pesto pasta with shrimp that was so dry it took several glasses of over-priced wine to get it down.

Mountain Beach is a great place to stay to enjoy the beach, but you'd be better off taking your dinners next door at Amami.

Room Tip: Insist on a room with sea view, or a separate cottage.
  • Stayed: April 2017, traveled solo
1  Thank Donald G
Reviewed 13 November 2016

Cheapest rooms are decent, with toilets and shower (cold water) but nothing special. For higher price you can have nice and spacious bungalow (fan, no AC), with toilet, hot water shower, TV, cooking area and fridge. Just a few meters from beach. Great sea view and little veranda with tables and small wooden sofa. Also many seats around with sunbeds and hammocks. Restaurant with typical Filipino food so consider the European taste: not very good quality. But it's standard problem in Philippines, generally speaking: no good food in whole country. Synthetic/instant/defrosted/GMO. So you can have problem to find better restaurant. Nice small beach, water good for swimming, nearby mountains with nice paths for walking, close to nice waterfall (not very easy path to that place). 500 meters to small local village where people are making and selling handmade items. Good and very cheap. Many small shops nearby.

• Stayed: November 2016, traveled solo