Scandi Divers
US$152
US$132
Agoda.com
Badladz Dive Resort(Puerto Galera)(Great Value!)
US$42
US$34
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Badladz Beach Resort(Puerto Galera)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$34
Lalaguna Villas(Puerto Galera)
US$74
US$55
  • Pool
De Luna Resort(Puerto Galera)(Great Value!)
US$32
US$106
US$78
  • Breakfast included
Papa Fred's Beach Resort(Puerto Galera)(Great Value!)
US$25
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
US$60
US$50
  • Pool
Montani Beach Resort(Puerto Galera)(Great Value!)
US$42
US$15
  • Pool
Steps Garden Resort(Puerto Galera)(Great Value!)
US$43
US$37
  • Pool
All reviewsdive sitesstarbucks coffeedive masterdive shopcampbells resortnovice diverstin tinbig la lagunagreat divingopen water courseverde islandspecial thanksunderwater photographyincredible staffmy advanced open watersister resortminute walk
Reviewed July 10, 2017

The review below breaks down some comments from our recent stay and experience with Scandi Divers:

GREETING & ACCOMMODATION:

We were greeted warmly with a welcome drink, and given the necessary forms to fill out before dives. The rooms were quite clean, beds were comfortable, air conditioning was great because of the muggy, humid weather. The showers were basic but there was hot water and a flushing toilet, plus a good amount of toilet paper and towels were provided.

FOOD & RESTAURANT SERVICE:

These people were great, it was obviously low-season, so everyone seemed a lot more relaxed but we had good food and good service. I would say the food was quite pricey for what it was (we could eat at Verandah, the 'best' restaurant on Puerto Galera for the same prices...). I liked the fact they gave water bottles and then a refill station. Perhaps in the future they should provide aluminum bottles for a deposit, and the refill station.

THE DIVING:

This is generally where they could do better, I think. Firstly, the dive costs $27 / PHP1350 per diver, per dive. I struggled to understand where this cost actually goes, since our dive sites were not more than 5 minutes by boat AND we were a large group of 8 divers (2 guides). Additionally, that cost DOES NOT INCLUDE equipment rental.

After much discussion, I was grateful for a slight discount for our group at $25 per dive, but that still did not satisfy my need to know the cost breakdown. Compared to other diving resorts or dive shops that are at least 3*, a similar cost to the dive would include equipment hire, boat use for sites over 30 mins away, and food...or at least a discount for a large group. The fact that neither breakfast nor lunch were included...where exactly does the money go apart from the guides? For this level of service, I would look to be paying $15-20 per dive. Moreover, I had my own equipment, so I expected to be paying less.

The guides were OK. The briefings were basic, but they gave us the necessary information. Being a divemaster myself, I observed how they operated. One of the divers in our group was a novice and was obviously having trouble with her buoyancy control, so I went to help her a couple of times. The guides did not bother at all. Our dives were very short (mostly down to air consumption though), and the pace of our first dive was too quick for the less experienced divers.

One of our group was a lady with a small frame, and when she asked for an XXS-sized BCD the dive guide said (in Filipino) "Well, if you need a size like that you should have brought your own!" - that comment was completely unnecessary and very UNPROFESSIONAL.

The dives on our first day were average (we went to Monkey Beach and Escarceo) - but we chose to go to the Canyons and Sabang Beach the next day and thoroughly enjoyed those.

I have mixed feelings about the way the dives were conducted, because they seemed good enough, but it lacked the 'extra care' and 'interest' component I always expect when I dive.

CHECK-OUT:

Our check-out was quite pleasant, and after working on a discount (we were staying and eating there too) and I am very grateful they gave it. They had a lot of staff there waiting around, but no one offered to help carry our bags to the waiting boat. Reading the other reviews, it's as if they give a better service to foreign guests than local ones.

OVERALL:

I think overall, Scandi Divers is a good enough place to be based in when diving in Puerto Galera. I have definitely had a better service elsewhere (I have also had much worse), but from the perspective of someone expecting the 'extra care' and hospitality from a Foreign & Filipino-run establishment, I felt it could improve further, especially on the diving front. The accommodations and restaurant were operated well and service was good, so no issues there.

We were satisfied enough with the quality of the dives and the guides except for some unnecessary comments that could have been dealt with in a more professional manner.

Would I recommend Scandi? Of course I would, but I would warn the people that they charge for every little thing.

A SUGGESTION:

As a dive operator and resort owner, please try to do things in a more sustainable manner and reduce plastic consumption; for instance - the use of straws in drinks. Plastic straws are one of the largest problems of plastic in the sea. If you invest the money in stainless steel straws, this is not only eco-friendly but also lessens your regular expense on the plastic straws, and these can be washed with the cutlery and glasses.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with friends
3  Thank beachedmermaid
Reviewed July 2, 2017 via mobile

This was another great stay with my friends at Scandi Divers. I have been stating there since 2014 doing my Open and advance diving courses there. We are always welcomed with a big smile and greetings from everybody on staff. They baked meca birthday cake that was delicious. I did 10 dives and my guide Leo always giving plenty of opportunity to take pictures. Personally i am not good with some of the changes being made but i have enjoyed the ride and always had a great time. The staff is always cuetisty, kind and ready to help, IMO best diving crew on the island. I give them a string 10.

Stayed: June 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2017

The only place we paid a second visit, it's not just about PG's beach and beautiful sea but most importantly my favorite diving instructors Richard and Liz. Thank you so much for all the great memories and you're the reason that smiles were always on my wife's face during our stay and diving. Hope more divers shall find a wonderful journey with your expertise and care. 我们唯一去过两次的地方,PG是个美丽的地方尤其是Verde Island,不过对于一个潜客来说,更加吸引我们的还有专业,严谨和友善的教练。非常感谢加拿大籍的教练Richard和他可爱的太太Liz,同为潜水教练,一起度过了一段美好的时光,太太嘴角上的笑容说明了一切。期待更多潜客在这儿找到属于自己的那份幸福回忆,同时技艺精进。OW-AOW-高氧Nitrox

Room Tip: Campbell is the best room
  • Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brightle2017
Reviewed June 13, 2017

I was originally in an upstairs room, but since I have some minor back problems they moved me downstairs after just a few days. I was right next to the pool - great room, quiet, comfortable, pretty much exactly what I expected.

The diving operation here is top notch. Arman kept things flowing and my divemaster (Conan) was great at finding critters (often very tiny ones), and picking great dive sites. I was there

Room Tip: Top notch rankings for diving. In-room wifi didn't work. AC strong. Laundry caused clothes to reek until washed twice!
  • Stayed: May 2017, traveled solo
davedo20, Owner at Scandi Divers, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2017

Carl
We are really happy you had a good stay at Scandi and I hope you will come back again soon. I think our new big 30 meter dive boat especially for Verde Island and Anilao dive trips will be completed in the next 3 months.

Reviewed June 6, 2017 via mobile

It was an unforgettable vacation I had in Puerto Galera, particularly in Scandi Divers.I miss this place and that's no doubt and I'm always thinking of going back. Peaceful. Friendly environment. Behind their well-cleaned and simplicity of their room is a woman who made our room romantically designed from the moment we returned by surprised assuming that I was with a boyfriend. Lol I believe what made this place beautiful are the people I met and get along with during my stay. Food is OK. People are approachable and courteous. Responsive. And ah Not to mention, their very own diving instructor is very easy going. Although, I didn't push through diving, but he taught me the basic way of diving and he'll make sure first you're ready before you go � hehe and from there, I was able to uncover my swimming ability. Lol � But my friend, who's very scared went and enjoyed his first time of diving. If you wish to start diving, I highly recommend you to get in touch with this guy @ConanFagan. Cheers!

Stayed: November 2016, traveled with friends