Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery (Man Fat Sze)

Ways to Experience Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery (Man Fat Sze)
from US$105.37
More Info
from US$311.99
More Info
2,321 results
All reviews sha tin fake monks wild monkeys main temple sheung wo che road pai tau village exit b shatin mtr station worth the climb life size take your time walk up worth the effort new territories both sides the hustle and bustle path
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 December 2009

BTW, I lived in HK for a bit and I dint even KNOW about this place until recently!!
Its away from the mad hustle of the city, and although the city has its own charm, this place is very serene and beautiful. I loved the trek up the 400something steps. All the way up on either side you will find golden buddha statues, not any two the same!

How to get there: Take the MTR & KCR to the Shatin stop.
Take exit B. When you exit (after inserting your ticket in the machine) take a left and follow the road down until you reach a road on your left. Take the left onto the road and keep walking until the end. On the right (before the big gate) you will find a tiny sign that reads '10,000 Buddhas'. Its a small sign so be alert for it.

5  Thank ang3lz
Reviewed 7 November 2009

This is a must-see attraction in Hong Kong. Although there are more than 400 steps to climb, it's a very pleasant hike. The path is lined with lots of buddhas so you can take lots of photos imitating their poses and expressions!

At the top, the actual temple houses little golden buddhas, all with unique poses. This had to be one of the most amazing sights I ever came across in my life. The giant Kwan Yu and Guan Yin statues outside were not shabby either.

There's also vegetarian restaurant (we didn't try as we didn't know before hand) at the top, which serves lunch for HKD45 - quite the bargain.

3  Thank Kurosaki_Ichigo
Reviewed 12 October 2009

We only got a glimpse of the Buddhas in their shiny gold due to following the wrong path! There is a sign to point you in the right direction, but it still wasn't clear to use which way to go - we got probably a stone throw away and due to it being late in the afternoon and very warm we didn't try and locate the correct path. Maybe next time!

1  Thank TravelChick78
Reviewed 11 May 2009

This place is under construction currently and that's probably why it's not in many guide books. At the big buddha, there are several signs asking for donations for the 10,000 site. So, this place will only get better from now. That being said, it is already a must see! Other reviews have the specific directions which is helpful. I say just go to Sha Tin station and ask a staff member. They'll point you in the right direction. There is a sign or two which will help you along the way too. Not too tough to find. Seeing all the golden statues on the hike up is sweet. Taking picures imitating each pose is so fun even for a 28-year-old like myself. I'm a kid at heart! Once you get to the top, the view is great and so is the monastery. All the mini statues inside and the bigger ones outside make for quite the site. This is a must see in my opinion. Free of charge but I donated a little at the top.

2  Thank american-samurai
Reviewed 12 October 2008

Bit of a walk up a steep hill but the buddhas are FANTASTIC !! - we was quite surprised they don't even charge for admission as we would have gladly paid.Well worth a visit !!

2  Thank D2282NFjefft